Start by marking “Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads: Stop Starving, Start Eating...And Losing!” as Want to Read:
Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads: Stop Starving, Start Eating...And Losing!

Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads: Stop Starving, Start Eating...And Losing!

Packed with real-world advice for a real-life transformation, Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads by Christine Avanti, CN shows that it's not only possible to shed weight while eating carbs, fats, and all your favorite foods—it's the ONLY way.
On the Skinny Chicks plan you will:
-Drop up to 7 pounds within the first 7 days
-Eat every 4 hours to keep your fat-burning metabolism
Published March 30th 2010 by Rodale Books (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads

Abby Foster
Feb 09, 2011 Abby Foster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christine's book is nothing short of amazing! It's already changing the way I eat AND feel. Like so many other women (and Christine), I got into the bad habit of skipping breakfast or lunch, then binging on carbs and sweets in the evening. It's a viscious cycle and I always felt guilty and sluggish.

Since I'm studying to become a massage therapist, I needed a more balanced way of eatting to maintain my blood sugar levels throughout the day. If you're looking to make a positive and lasting healthy
Jenny (adultishbooks)
Full disclosure that I did skim portions of this book including the exercise and the recipe portions.

I do like the basic science and approach Christine Avanti takes in this book. Eating protein and carbs every four hours sounds right up my alley and the studies she presents make sense. Some of the advice was not specific enough for my taste and I felt bogged down by the testimonials. The only way to really test how this works is to try it. I intend to start on Monday and see what happens though
Karen
Jan 01, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The explanation of the eating plan seems to make sense but I'm not sure I could do it—a life without whole eggs and full fat cheese is not the life for me. I also found the periodic mentions of products available on the author's website a bit annoying.
Susan Erhardt
Had some good basic info and some yummy sounding recipes, but is really just a diet book in disguise. All assurances to the contrary aside, I'm pretty certain I WOULD be hungry eating only 1600 calories a day and exercising as much as she wants readers to.
A
Mar 20, 2014 A rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is a GUIDE to healthy eating. She is not able to sit down with people one on one to make a food plan specifically for you, so this is a general way of eating that people should follow. It basically provides an easy understanding of how to balance out your carbs and protein, and information on what IS a carb and what IS a protein.

I have to give it 5 stars, because there is a lot of sound advice in here; even if each person is different and may have to change a few things to make it work for
Bonnie
May 11, 2010 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a fair number of diet/exercise/nutrition books, but this one really put it all together in a way that just makes sense. You didn't get the impression that she's just trying to use science to sell you her program like I did with Atkins, South Beach, and Fat Flush. She explains the science of how the body uses fats, carbs, and proteins for energy and how to eat to get the most nutrition and long-lasting energy out of your food and lose weight if that is your goal.

She does a good job o
April
Apr 09, 2012 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Interesting concepts, some sound science, nice advice. Told with humor and a good narrative this book sets up a way of eating and thinking about food that makes a lot of sense in many ways. There are testimonials from women in different age groups, even menopausal and premenopause women that are uplifting and hopeful.

I didn't like the way the author repeated herself so many times. I found myself skimming parts as she was pressing her point YET AGAIN. I understand about repetition in learning...
Lina
Aug 06, 2010 Lina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A diet is not just about losing weight. It seems people seem to associate it as only such. Everyone is on a diet, whether poor or bad is determine by the quality of what they eat in relation to his or her health. Although Avanti declares it as an eating plan, it is a diet.

All in all, Avanti explains the causes and effects of the food we put into our bodies. These explanations are simplified for better understanding. The initial part of the eating plan is to lose weight to an optimal amount. The
Ewurama
Sep 17, 2009 Ewurama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend told me about this book, and the title definitely caught this salad snubber’s attention.
Nothing earth-shattering here: sensible eating you’ve surely heard the gist of elsewhere, but her explanations and method are accessible. The plan? Balanced meals (whole foods in the form of lean protein, minimally refined carbs, and healthy fats) every four hours. That’s pretty much it; but it’s very straightforward and clear, so it has stuck with me. Try it! The book includes numerous recipes to g
Cindy Matteson
Feb 01, 2016 Cindy Matteson rated it liked it
Shelves: dieting
Really interesting. I haven't followed the program, but it gives lots of good information on food choices, when and what to eat, etc.
Helen Crow
Feb 21, 2015 Helen Crow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would be a better book without the testimonials, but it is full of good stuff to know.
Saori
Jan 18, 2016 Saori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the book because it made sense. I was always unsure about no carb diet.
Anne
Apr 12, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems like the beginning of every new year I read some diet book! I checked this one out of the library....I've been skimming thru it, I have so many other books to read!

OK, so I've finished this book. I now use it more as a reference book, because it does spell out meal plans and have some great recipes. I give it 4 stars for that. However, it sounds too reminiscent of every other diet book I've ever read.
Melanie
I haven't started the "diet" yet, but I'm really excited about it - I've been steadily losing weight for a while, but it's stalled out for a few months and I'm hoping this will help me kick-start it again. Plus it seems really easy to use her plan and actually continue to live a normal real-word eating life! I'll definitely update my review after I've tried it for a few weeks.
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
I loved this book! It was a wealth of useful information. When it comes to health and weight loss I do a lot of research and I feel like I know a lot, so it was surprising to see that I've learned so much by simply reading this book. Christine doesn't restrict you and everything she says is doable. This is definitely a lifestyle book, not a diet book. Very impressed.
Inga
Nov 14, 2010 Inga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book about eating in a normal healthy way and maintaining blood sugar levels. The recipes are easy and yummy. This is not a magic pill for weight loss, but if you are looking to maintain a healthy weight, feel good, have energy and the ability to focus throughout the day without crashing, I highly recommend Christine's eating plan.
Alison
Jun 03, 2009 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always believed in this way of eating. 4 meals a day, plenty of carbs spread throughout the day, and cheating on a regular basis. This is what I call a healthy way to eat without ever having to go on a diet. The recipes are unique and easy to do. I'm planning on losing some weight.....
Alissa
Jul 01, 2011 Alissa rated it really liked it
It really changed my way I think about food and what combinations I eat together. In addition, it made me think more seriously about how many small meals is better for the metabolism than 3 big meals. It was a bit inspirational and VERY easy to read....
CJ
Feb 19, 2011 CJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I ate like she said I honestly didn't feel hungry, or have those sugar lows that come from eating poorly.

I recently purchased this book for my ereader (1st and only purchase so far) because it's a good reminder that quality in equals quality out.
Connie
Aug 20, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It teaches you what combinations to eat so you don't have cravings and feel hungry while losing or maintaining a healthy body weight. It has nothing to do with not eating salad by the way. It just tells you you can eat much more!
Elizabeth
Feb 11, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nutrition advice in an easy to read format. The way she describes what your body needs and how it processes food actually makes sense! Haven't tried any of her recipes or her eating plan so I can't comment on that - but the rest of the book was good.
Jan
May 30, 2009 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting and I think it would really work. ( ALl except the part about not drinking diet coke.) After I had Ryan I worked out with a trainer and he taught the same principle about eating protein/carbs and fat together.
Julie Colotti
I agree with a lot of other reviews that I read here. I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't really any new information. It's all stuff that I know, but forget to practice. I will try some of the recipes and see how it goes.
Hilary
Feb 08, 2010 Hilary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the way she explained things in a way a non-registered dietitian could understand (That's why I gave it 5 stars! :). It didn't feel like I was reading a text book. This was a really great and informative book.
Whitney
I like this book and her approach to eating and fitness. There are workouts and recipes in it too! It isn't the best written book, but it is worth it in the end.
Jenn
Mar 01, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I just finished it, and I think I really liked it. Good advice (and recipes) as to how to avoid the pitfall of thinking you have to eat nothing to lose weight.
Christine Allinson
Really good book! Easy to understand which makes the eating plan easy to follow. Christine is also a wonderful person and a great friend!
Charmaine Puzey
I learned alot, but when I went on her website she had some products for sell that she disses in her book so not sure
Rachel
Jan 07, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot from this book and I think it's a great system, but it could have used some diagrams.
Angie
May 12, 2009 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty funny! I learned I need way more Protein in my diet and less Kneaders treats :) Who knew??
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps: 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle
  • Matrevolutionen : ät dig frisk med riktig mat
  • Konsten att läsa tankar
  • My Orange Duffel Bag
  • Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You
  • Lifelong Love Affair: How to Have a Passionate and Deeply Rewarding Marriage
  • The Skinnygirl Rules: For Getting and Staying Naturally Thin
  • Eat This And Live: Simple Food Choices that Can Help You Feel Better, Look Younger, and Live Longer!
  • Slaying the Debt Dragon: How One Family Conquered Their Money Monster and Found an Inspired Happily Ever After
  • The Chunky Method Handbook: Your Step-by-Step Plan to WRITE THAT BOOK Even When Life Gets in the Way
  • Hungry: The Truth About Being Full
  • Victim of Grace: When God’s Goodness Prevails
  • This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off
  • The Prosperous Heart: Creating a Life of "Enough"
  • Insignificant: Why You Matter in the Surprising Way God Is Changing the World
  • Once Upon a Time: Discovering Our Forever After Story
  • How Could She?
  • The Witch in Every Woman: Reawakening the Magical Nature of the Feminine to Heal, Protect, Create, and Empower