Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare

The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare (The Berenstain Bears)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,331 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Too-Tall Grizzly and his gang dare Brother to steal a watermelon from Farmer Ben's patch, and when the gang runs away, Brother is caught. Fortunately, Farmer Ben is a good neighbor, and offers Brother advice about standing up for what is right.
Published May 12th 1988 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare

Desiree Giroux
My son has really taken a liking to the Berenstain Bears, he is 6 and almost in 2nd grade. He enjoys reading about the Berenstain Bears and I like the great examples that they provide. As he gets older, I worry about bullying and teasing in school and I like how this book handled the situation. It's nice how a lot of these books have the cubs turning to a trusted older adult for advice, I definitely want my son to remember he can always ask for help from any adult in his life.
Geannemarie
My daughter liked the lesson taught of the sheep would follow the leader right off a cliff.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Well, this one has Brother Bear dealing with Too-Tall, the local bully. Too-Tall invites him to join his gang, Brother Bears says he wants to go, and the boys call him a chicken. He says he's not, so he gets double dared to steal a pumpkin. When he gets caught, the others run. Farmer Ben teaches Brother not to give in to peer pressure, and acting like a "sheep."
Shacoria
This is my second Berenstain Bears story. These stories are incredibly easy to read. I would say that they take about ten minutes to read. I found this one to be pretty amusing. I think my favorite line from the book was "The dee-double dare did it." I will continue tomorrow in my quest to read more of these Berenstain Bears books. It's a pretty worthwhile series so far.
VampireNovelFan
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.
Theresa
the characters and stories of the berenstain bears teaching children early learning concepts.teaching children how to deal with dares and not doing what everyone else says
teaching children how to deal with dares and not doing what everyone else says
angrykitty
yes! stealing as a dare!! yes, yes! isn't that how everyone starts stealing???? because someone double dares you to....i mean, that's how i started my life of crime....not really, but wouldn't it be funny if it was true?
Dolly
Apr 09, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a good story to read with young schoolage children to start a conversation about bullying and peer pressure. It's a fairly typical book from the Berenstains, full of fun illustrations and good moral lessons.
Kathy Ellen Davis
I was scared senseless by this book as a kid.
When Brother Bear gets caught!
Ah!
Still gets me!

Again, as an adult, I see that the books can be a little preachy,
but as a kid, I loved them!
Gretchen
A book about integrity. I like how Brother Bear retaliates to being called a chicken, by calling them sheep. I thought this was a pretty good example of a possible scenario for kids growing up.
Tam
My 5-year-old likes the Berenstain Bears. Most of the stories have a moral. In this book, the moral is that you should make your own decisions and not give in to peer pressure.
LaVenna
The Berenstain bear books are wonderful. They focus on real problems that children may experience throughout their lives. Fun way to teach your children lessons on life:)
Kathy Blose
well written story about bullying and about negative peer pressures. It also shows how peers as well as adults can intervene and make a difference. Kathy B in Las Vegas
Sharon
Tommy wanted to read with Dad while breakfast was cooling down. Dad gave him a highly edited version. Tommy definitely doesn't need any examples of double dares.
Tommy
Heather
I used to read these with my parents all the bloody time! Most of them were so loved that they had all fallen apart.
Stacey
This book can be read when teaching children about bullying and peer pressure in the classroom.
Shannon
Ohhhhhhh, that rascally Too-Tall Grizzly, temping the ever-naive Brother Bear...
Stacy
Good story about not doing something wrong even if others make fun if you.
Emily
This is a very good berenstain bear book! Good message on peer pressure.
Rebekah
Brother Bear learns about the danger of giving into peer pressure.
Benjamin Plume
I will always associate this phrase with the kids game show.
Mary Jane
It's a typical Berenstain Bears book. My kids love them.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
The Bear family teaches important lessons!!
Vesra (When She Reads)
Dewey's 24 hours readathon book =D Review later
Dimps
One of my childhood favorites. :)
Jaime
We love all berenstain bear books!
PWRL
Jan 26, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
A
E
SM
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • Clifford's Manners (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • My Book About Me by ME Myself
  • When I Grow Up (Little Critter)
  • Arthur's Computer Disaster: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Meet Babar and His Family
  • A Promise Is A Promise
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears Bright and Early Board Book) The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV