Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare

The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare (The Berenstain Bears)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,618 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Too-Tall Grizzly and his gang dare Brother to steal a watermelon from Farmer Ben's patch, and when the gang runs away, Brother is caught. Fortunately, Farmer Ben is a good neighbor, and offers Brother advice about standing up for what is right.
Published May 12th 1988 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare

Stef
Nov 22, 2016 Stef rated it really liked it
I'm impressed with how brave Brother is in this -- even now, I shy away from confrontation, so as a grown-ass lady, would I even be able to stand up to Too-Tall Grizzly? Brother's noble heroism and lesson-learning aside, the ending seems much darker to me today than it did as a child: Too-Tall's father bursts from the forest to scare the shit out of his bully son and friends. Is Too-Tall a bully because his dad is a bully? The book says they look a lot alike. The book ends with no answers on tha ...more
Rebecca Hawkinson
Sep 21, 2016 Rebecca Hawkinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
The Berenstain Bears books have always been my favorite! I love how these books incorporate a life lesson that is easy for young children to understand and relate to. The pictures in this book and the way it is written makes it very easy to hold attention. I think this book as well as the rest of the series would be great to use in a classroom and would make it very easy to introduce an upcoming lesson.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 27, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
The Berenstain Bears and the Double Dare by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Well, this one has Brother Bear dealing with Too-Tall, the local bully. Too-Tall invites him to join his gang, Brother Bears says he wants to go, and the boys call him a chicken. He says he's not, so he gets double dared to steal a pumpkin. When he gets caught, the others run. Farmer Ben teaches Brother not to give in to peer pressure, and acting like a "sheep."
Desiree Giroux
Jul 06, 2015 Desiree Giroux rated it it was amazing
My son has really taken a liking to the Berenstain Bears, he is 6 and almost in 2nd grade. He enjoys reading about the Berenstain Bears and I like the great examples that they provide. As he gets older, I worry about bullying and teasing in school and I like how this book handled the situation. It's nice how a lot of these books have the cubs turning to a trusted older adult for advice, I definitely want my son to remember he can always ask for help from any adult in his life.
chucklesthescot
Brother is angry when bullies steal Sister's jump rope and he tries to get it back, earning respect from the bullies who now think he is tough enough to be in their gang. Brother doesn't want to join them but doesn't want to be called chicken, and ends up in big trouble. Poor Brother! This book is about how easy it is to get sucked into doing things that are wrong due to peer pressure.
VampireNovelFan
Apr 13, 2011 VampireNovelFan rated it really liked it
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.
Shacoria
Jun 24, 2011 Shacoria rated it liked it
This is my second Berenstain Bears story. These stories are incredibly easy to read. I would say that they take about ten minutes to read. I found this one to be pretty amusing. I think my favorite line from the book was "The dee-double dare did it." I will continue tomorrow in my quest to read more of these Berenstain Bears books. It's a pretty worthwhile series so far.
Theresa
Apr 27, 2012 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
the characters and stories of the berenstain bears teaching children early learning concepts.teaching children how to deal with dares and not doing what everyone else says
teaching children how to deal with dares and not doing what everyone else says
Dolly
Apr 09, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a good story to read with young schoolage children to start a conversation about bullying and peer pressure. It's a fairly typical book from the Berenstains, full of fun illustrations and good moral lessons.
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it
yes! stealing as a dare!! yes, yes! isn't that how everyone starts stealing???? because someone double dares you to....i mean, that's how i started my life of crime....not really, but wouldn't it be funny if it was true?
Tam
Jul 18, 2014 Tam rated it liked it
My 5-year-old likes the Berenstain Bears. Most of the stories have a moral. In this book, the moral is that you should make your own decisions and not give in to peer pressure.
Tommy
Apr 08, 2011 Tommy rated it it was ok
Tommy wanted to read with Dad while breakfast was cooling down. Dad gave him a highly edited version. Tommy definitely doesn't need any examples of double dares.
Heather
Mar 31, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I used to read these with my parents all the bloody time! Most of them were so loved that they had all fallen apart.
Sharon
Apr 08, 2011 Sharon rated it did not like it
Shelves: to-a-child
Kathy Ellen Davis
Aug 12, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I was scared senseless by this book as a kid.
When Brother Bear gets caught!
Ah!
Still gets me!

Again, as an adult, I see that the books can be a little preachy,
but as a kid, I loved them!
Gretchen
Jul 27, 2011 Gretchen rated it really liked it
A book about integrity. I like how Brother Bear retaliates to being called a chicken, by calling them sheep. I thought this was a pretty good example of a possible scenario for kids growing up.
LaVenna
Mar 09, 2008 LaVenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The Berenstain bear books are wonderful. They focus on real problems that children may experience throughout their lives. Fun way to teach your children lessons on life:)
Heather Jo
Aug 15, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Kathy Blose
Jun 20, 2008 Kathy Blose rated it really liked it
well written story about bullying and about negative peer pressures. It also shows how peers as well as adults can intervene and make a difference. Kathy B in Las Vegas
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Corinne
Corinne rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2008
Melisa
Melisa rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2008
H.L. Zander
H.L. Zander rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2014
Bghonore
Bghonore rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2013
Abigail
Abigail rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2011
Michelle Razo
Michelle Razo rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Stacey
Apr 17, 2013 Stacey rated it it was amazing
This book can be read when teaching children about bullying and peer pressure in the classroom.
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2008
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
Plaimont
Plaimont rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2012
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • My Book About Me by ME Myself
  • Clifford's Manners (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Just Me and My Babysitter (Little Critter) (Look-Look)
  • A Promise Is A Promise
  • Arthur's April Fool (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Meet Babar and His Family
  • Curious George Goes to School
  • Little Miss Helpful
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark