Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race

The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race (The Berenstain Bears)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Illus. in full color. Brother Bear in his little red car slowly but surely wins out against the yellow and blue cars in this tortoise-and-hare story. ...more
Published October 12th 1987 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race

↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
★★★★The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race By Stan and Jan Berenstain
This one starts with 4 big, shiny, brand new, race cars and Brother Bears "Little Red." Little Red is left in the dust, when the flag drops. But fast doesn't always mean better, slow and stead, wins the race.
Ashley Field
Brother is in a car race in a little red car and all of the other cars disregard him as a racer. Even though he is little and small, he races and does not give up. Throughout the race the other cars cannot finish the race due to unfortunate events. The last car running decided to take a break and stop for food because little red was so far behind. He was so confident that he was going to beat the little car that he thought it would be okay to take a pitstop. But Brother's perseverance and determ ...more
Kathy Ellen Davis
I say concept books because there are four colors featured throughout the book, but, really, it's just a great story!

Told in rhyme, it's sort of like the tortoise and the hare, but when you're reading it you just can't figure out how little Red is EVER going to get to that finish line!

The illustrations are great,
the story simple,
and children can guess what words comes next, thanks to simple rhymes.

An oldie but a goodie!
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 Shacoria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 15th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. This book is a little different from some of the other ones in the series in that it rhymes. Perhaps the Berenstain's were taking a page from Dr. Seuss' book. Also there isn't a really big storyline in this books. It just describes a car race. This story is pretty cute and funny. I think it's my favorite Berenstain Bears story so far.
Adrianne
My family owned this book growing up. I remember loving my mom's inflections when she read it.

Now I read it to my kids and they memorize it by age two. They love everything about this racing book, from the rhyming to Little Red's putt-putt-putting.

My favorite part continues to be Dead Bear's Curve.
Dolly
Jan 11, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2008, childrens
This is a cute story that is very similar to the story of "The turtle and the hare." Shows how being reckless, mean, cocky or a cheater can backfire. And how the underdog can sometimes come out on top. Cute story that the kids enjoy.
I liked the rhyming in this book and also the lesson learned. The lesson is that even though you may be the underdog don't give up. Always keep trying and you may succeed.
Anna
Read on a marathon BB book day in Austin, this one is a tale based on the Tortoise and the Hare and is written for younger readers.

Chosen by Logan (age 4)
Robin (jason&robin)
This is a great book. Helps with colors. The story rhymes and makes it easy for kids to remember parts and be able to read along.
Margie
My son Mark LOVED this book. It had cars and it rhymed...what more could he ask for. I ended up knowing this book by heart.
Monica
This was one of my most favorite stories as a child. Even now, I still almost know it by heart.
Melanie
this is a family favorite!!! Connor had it memorized at age 3!!
Monica
Tortoise and the Hare replayed in a car race.
Bronda
Such a Great book for kids
Kim
Yiyi
Yiyi added it
Oct 23, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Ky'ambria
Ky'ambria marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Emma
Emma added it
Oct 19, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
  • Hot Rod Hamster
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • Merry Christmas, Curious George
  • Clifford at the Circus
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Richard Scarry's Best First Book Ever!
  • Spot Bakes a Cake
  • The Very First Thanksgiving Day
  • How Spider Saved Halloween
  • Go, Train, Go!
  • Penguins, Penguins, Everywhere!
  • Llama Llama Time to Share
  • I'm a Big Brother
  • Red Riding Hood
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • The Class Election from the Black Lagoon
  • Who Wants A Dragon?
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV