Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race

The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race (The Berenstain Bears)

The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race
Published October 12th 1987 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race

Shannon
Feb 02, 2017 Shannon rated it liked it
This is basically the tortoise and the hare with a few extra characters thrown in. However, the rhyme flow well and the illustrations are entertaining. Kids should enjoy this, even if they do make the connection to the old folk tale.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 26, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
★★★★The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race By Stan and Jan Berenstain
This one starts with 4 big, shiny, brand new, race cars and Brother Bears "Little Red." Little Red is left in the dust, when the flag drops. But fast doesn't always mean better, slow and stead, wins the race.
Heather
Gift from Aunt Linda - William's birthday 2016

January 2017: William has started reading this book to me
Shiny Ajit
Dec 26, 2016 Shiny Ajit rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Emily Garrison
Oct 28, 2016 Emily Garrison rated it it was amazing
This book was published in 1987 by Random House Publishing and is a book in the First Time Readers series. This story starts out with four big cars revving up for a road race. But just as they are about ready to go, a fifth car joins the race. The fifth car is driven by Brother Bear and is called Little Red. Little Red puts up to the starting line. When the race begins, the big cars take off in a hurry and Little Red puts through their dust clouds. The big cars look back and make fun of Little R ...more
Ashley Field
Sep 29, 2013 Ashley Field rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Brother is in a car race in a little red car and all of the other cars disregard him as a racer. Even though he is little and small, he races and does not give up. Throughout the race the other cars cannot finish the race due to unfortunate events. The last car running decided to take a break and stop for food because little red was so far behind. He was so confident that he was going to beat the little car that he thought it would be okay to take a pitstop. But Brother's perseverance and determ ...more
Nancy
Dec 30, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My grandchildren picked this book out, and asked me to read it. They could identify the colors of the cars. The story is rather like the race between the turtle and the hair. There are four big cars, and one little car, who just keeps putt putt putting along. Other drivers do bad things to win the race, but not the driver of the small car. This is a cute book, and my grandchildren were very attentive to my reading of it. December 2015

My little grandchildren were over today, and my granddaughter
Jane
Nov 08, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it
The Berenstain Bears and the Big Road Race shows concept words for learning colors, directional words and teaches the winner is not always the fastest but the one with a steady pace that does not give up. The concepts of over, under, through, up and down are one of our goals for our children so to find a book that goes over them after we play games with them inside and on the playground, the book reinforces the concepts for the children.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Mar 19, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it it was amazing
I say concept books because there are four colors featured throughout the book, but, really, it's just a great story!

Told in rhyme, it's sort of like the tortoise and the hare, but when you're reading it you just can't figure out how little Red is EVER going to get to that finish line!

The illustrations are great,
the story simple,
and children can guess what words comes next, thanks to simple rhymes.

An oldie but a goodie!
Adrianne
Aug 24, 2011 Adrianne rated it really liked it
My family owned this book growing up. I remember loving my mom's inflections when she read it.

Now I read it to my kids and they memorize it by age two. They love everything about this racing book, from the rhyming to Little Red's putt-putt-putting.

My favorite part continues to be Dead Bear's Curve.
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 Shacoria rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 15th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. This book is a little different from some of the other ones in the series in that it rhymes. Perhaps the Berenstain's were taking a page from Dr. Seuss' book. Also there isn't a really big storyline in this books. It just describes a car race. This story is pretty cute and funny. I think it's my favorite Berenstain Bears story so far.
chucklesthescot
This was the bears version of the hare and tortoise story. It was ok with nice pictures but not really anything special compared to the other bears books. I think it was a lesser story as it didn't have the whole bear family. Younger kids will love making the car noises though.
Dolly
Jan 11, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2008
This is a cute story that is very similar to the story of "The turtle and the hare." Shows how being reckless, mean, cocky or a cheater can backfire. And how the underdog can sometimes come out on top. Cute story that the kids enjoy.
Margie
Jun 21, 2008 Margie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
My son Mark LOVED this book. It had cars and it rhymed...what more could he ask for. I ended up knowing this book by heart.
Anna
Sep 29, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Read on a marathon BB book day in Austin, this one is a tale based on the Tortoise and the Hare and is written for younger readers.

Chosen by Logan (age 4)
PWRL
Jan 26, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
A
SM
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it
a recasting of the tortoise and the hare story with cars. This doesn't appear to be part of the actual Berenstain Bears series or continuum, just a one-off with these characters.
Feb 08, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
I liked the rhyming in this book and also the lesson learned. The lesson is that even though you may be the underdog don't give up. Always keep trying and you may succeed.
Bronda
Jun 06, 2011 Bronda rated it liked it
Such a Great book for kids
kristina
Jun 05, 2016 kristina rated it really liked it
Picture Book - Cars - Stories in Rhyme

Robin (jason&robin)
Jun 03, 2011 Robin (jason&robin) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a great book. Helps with colors. The story rhymes and makes it easy for kids to remember parts and be able to read along.
Sophie
Oct 22, 2015 Sophie added it
Dad got this one from the used book store and we read it once, but I wasn't too interested in this one.
Alistair Parker
Jun 17, 2015 Alistair Parker rated it liked it
it's about Bears having a big road race. They had like 5 cars, orange, green,blue,yellow and red.orange said rrr yellow said vroom green said grrr and blue said roar litte red said putt putt putt
Ashley Hackenmiller
Ashley Hackenmiller rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2010
Michelle  Cropper
Michelle Cropper rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Heidi Pepin
Heidi Pepin rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Rita
Rita rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2011
Carl
Carl rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Krysten
Krysten rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
  • The Berenstain Bears: Sick Days
  • The Day the Goose Got Loose
  • Snowy Day (Curious George)
  • Happy Birthday, Thomas! (Thomas & Friends)
  • Driving Buddies (Step into Reading)
  • Spot Bakes a Cake
  • Watch Out! Big Bro's Coming!
  • Star Wars: What Is A Wookiee? (DK Readers)
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Hot Rod Hamster
  • The Very First Thanksgiving Day
  • Penguins, Penguins, Everywhere!
  • The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Anakin in Action!
  • Best Dad in the Sea (Finding Nemo Step into Reading, Step 1)
  • A Green, Green Garden
  • Curious George and the Birthday Surprise (Curious George New Adventures)
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark