Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor

The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor (The Berenstain Bears)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,660 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
It's time for a routine check-up with Dr. Gert Grizzly. Sister Bear is brave about her booster shot, and Brother Bear is fine, but--achoo!--is that Papa Bear sneezing? "A light-hearted approach to the subject with straightforward information."--Appraisal.
Published October 12th 1981 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. SterlingThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Olivia by Ian Falconer
Childrens
86th out of 108 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Anita
Dec 04, 2011 Anita rated it liked it
‘The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor’ is part of a series of books which sees a family of bears encountering a variety of everyday life experiences. This story is about Brother and Sister Bear having to visit Doctor Gert Grizzly for a routine check-up. Sister Bear’s worried attitude represents the attitude that many children may have. They may associate seeing the doctor with blood and pain. This book is designed to show children that there is nothing to worry about going to see the doctor and ...more
Noah
Jul 25, 2015 Noah rated it it was amazing
The Berenstain Bears are some of our favorites - reading all of my mom's Berenstain Bears books is great. I also like to watch the cartoon before school. It's fun to sometimes see stories I've read on tv.
Alayna Pope
Feb 22, 2016 Alayna Pope rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I really like the Berenstain Bears series! The experiences and the daily life of this family are very relatable! I used to read these books all the time. This one in particular talks about the family going to the doctor for a checkup. The two children are nervous as first, but they learn to conquer their fears. A checkup isn't so bad after all! I think this story is great in that it explains what all goes on during a basic checkup. It informs children of what a checkup consists of. It also might ...more
Aiden
Jun 17, 2016 Aiden rated it liked it
A gift from Mommy. All-Time Bestselling Children's Books #92.
Yiovana
This book talks about what to expect when going to the doctor. I liked the main idea of it and the way the story is told. However, I think it has a lot of wording for children to follow through. It can be a story to read in circle time and make sure it is read with motivation so that children can follow along. I believe children can react to it positively if they are asked questions about when the go to the doctor. Engaging them with questions can make this story enjoyable.
Rosa Cline
Oct 20, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
My granddaughter and I really enjoyed this Berenstain Bears book. It's one of the original stories with Brother and Sister (before Honey and the more 'modern' stuff). Mama tells the kids they are going to see the doctor for a check up they are scared and unsure...but the story take a child on a trip with the Bear kids and find out that visiting the doctor isn't a bad thing and they are for your well being... and that shots are good things and explains a little about 'why' you should get booster ...more
Courtney Kilbourn
This is another classic series of stories that are typically a favorite among young ones. This particular one is my favorite from the series. I love how they made the doctors office seem like a nice and inviting place and not a scary place like most kids think. I would pick this for my classroom because I want to show the children that it doesn't have to be a scary place and shots aren't has painful as they may think.
Emma Daugherty
Feb 13, 2015 Emma Daugherty rated it really liked it
The Berenstain Bears were always some of my favorite books growing up. This series of books is great to teach children about everyday problems, challenges, fears, and rules they might encounter. The bear family is very relatable and the stories are easy to follow with a clear beginning, middle and end. This particular story is one of my favorite because I remember it helping me to not be so afraid of the doctor's office.
Tabitha Deasún
Nov 13, 2015 Tabitha Deasún rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children, Parents with Children
I remember reading this in an exam room while waiting for my doctor to come. I think I was about 10 or so. Either way, I remember the book being a good read as is the case with most of The Berenstain Bears books. If you have children, I recommend reading these to them as they definitely taught me lessons in life and stuck with me.
Juliette
Apr 13, 2014 Juliette rated it liked it
Sister Bear, the night before the check up, was very afraid. The day of the doctor, she showed everybody in the waiting room how she got a shot. The doctor said she was very brave. The book was pretty good.
Chester Richmond
Many people are unnecessarily frightened by going to the doctor. This is especially common for children because they have not gone as many times and are still easily frightened by pain, blood, and needles. If your child is scared you can show them this book which details exactly what happens during a visit and shows that it is not as scary as you first thought.

This could be used in a classroom to teach about visiting the doctor and common procedures which many of your students may not know. This
VampireNovelFan
Apr 13, 2011 VampireNovelFan rated it really liked it
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.

I love the nostalgia reading this as an adult. Even grown-ups struggle with keeping up with their health and attending the doctor regularly. I recommend pas
Dmills
The Berenstain Bears have so many great books to talk about health issues like this book about going to the doctor if your sick to get better.
The Book Box
Aug 06, 2015 The Book Box added it
Shelves: own
My first time reading a Berenstain Bears book! These books were my Mama's when she was little, and she loves reading them to me now!
Roxanne
Dec 05, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
I read to children in my daily life. This is a cute book about not being scared to go to the doctor and has illustrations.
Jordan Lee
Apr 15, 2013 Jordan Lee rated it it was amazing
This story is about children who are going to the doctor for the first time and are very nervous. But, throughout the book they go through the whole doctor checkup with the bears and they realize the doctor isn’t such a scary place after all. We would use this book in a classroom by teaching children about doctors and how they are here to help you stay healthy. There are many mysteries when it comes to the first visits to the doctor when you are little. I remember being terrified to go, but if I ...more
Wendy
Jul 09, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: karla
My kids loved this book. Made them more comfortable with going to the doctor.
Natalie
Oct 02, 2015 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Hands down favorite of all time! "classic" doesn't do it justice... :-)
Alisha
Jun 30, 2015 Alisha rated it really liked it
I loved the Berenstein Bears book when I was growing up!!
Kristal
May 08, 2014 Kristal rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good book to help calm children's fears about going to the doctor.
Adam Utehs
this book talks about how children are all very scared of going to the doctors and getting shots because it might hurt. In this book it shows brother and sister bear go in get shots and it shows that all that worrying was for nothing because the shots didn't even hurt. Most children are scared of the doctors thinking that it will hurt them instead of trying to make them better and this book helps them get over their fears. I would recommend this book to be read to children to get over their fear ...more
Kevin
Jun 05, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
It teaches how check ups are good to get done
Sarah King
Sister Bear is scared of the doctor.
Derek Mahar
Apr 28, 2014 Derek Mahar rated it it was amazing
Sophia really enjoyed this book!
Ashlyn White
Sep 09, 2014 Ashlyn White rated it it was amazing
I loved this book
Kaitlyn Frese
Feb 24, 2016 Kaitlyn Frese rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The Berenstain Bears are classic books and I will be reading many in my classroom but I really like this one because it helps kids to not be afraid of the going to the Doctors office. This would be really helpful especially if you had a child who was afraid of the Doctor.
Luna
Feb 15, 2015 Luna rated it really liked it
loved it!
Brittany
it awsome
Grace
Apr 16, 2013 Grace rated it it was amazing
I would rate this book a 5. This story is about children who are going to the doctor for the first time and are very nervous. But, throughout the book they go through the whole doctor checkup with the bears and they realize the doctor isn't such a scary place after all. You could use this book in a classroom by teaching children about doctors and how they are here to help you stay healthy. This book is good for young children from kindergarten to 3rd grade.
Whitney Strickland
Apr 03, 2011 Whitney Strickland rated it liked it
Shelves: going-to
This is another good read that will help inform children about doctors’ visits and make them laugh at the things that go on at the doctor's office. The Berenstain family takes a trip so that brother and sister can get their booster shots. I like this part because this is a very routine thing that most children have to experience. In the future I will definitely share this book with children who may be fearful of what goes on at the doctor's office.
Karachi: RIP - Janice Berenstain 1 5 Mar 04, 2012 08:01AM
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • On The Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5)
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Clifford's Birthday Party
  • Come Back, Amelia Bedelia
  • Just Me in the Tub (Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)
  • Curious George Visits the Library
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark