Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor

The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor (The Berenstain Bears)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  7,167 ratings  ·  65 reviews
It's time for a routine check-up with Dr. Gert Grizzly. Sister Bear is brave about her booster shot, and Brother Bear is fine, but--achoo!--is that Papa Bear sneezing? "A light-hearted approach to the subject with straightforward information."--Appraisal. ...more
Published October 12th 1981 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. SterlingThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Olivia by Ian Falconer
Childrens
84th out of 106 books — 6 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownGreen Eggs And Ham by Dr. Seuss
What...Again? Most requested Children's books
263rd out of 266 books — 296 voters

More lists with this book...

Anita
‘The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor’ is part of a series of books which sees a family of bears encountering a variety of everyday life experiences. This story is about Brother and Sister Bear having to visit Doctor Gert Grizzly for a routine check-up. Sister Bear’s worried attitude represents the attitude that many children may have. They may associate seeing the doctor with blood and pain. This book is designed to show children that there is nothing to worry about going to see the doctor and...more
Tim Meneely
As far as I'm concerned, Gray can suck it. Paracelsus can suck it. Galen can suck it. Avicenna can suck it.

As far as this reader is concerned, the anatomical illustrations provided by this book are sufficient to understand bear/human anatomy AND perform life-saving procedures.

And they get a lollipop, mofos. Lollipop.
End. Of. Story.
Courtney Kilbourn
This is another classic series of stories that are typically a favorite among young ones. This particular one is my favorite from the series. I love how they made the doctors office seem like a nice and inviting place and not a scary place like most kids think. I would pick this for my classroom because I want to show the children that it doesn't have to be a scary place and shots aren't has painful as they may think.
Juliette
Sister Bear, the night before the check up, was very afraid. The day of the doctor, she showed everybody in the waiting room how she got a shot. The doctor said she was very brave. The book was pretty good.
Chester Richmond
Many people are unnecessarily frightened by going to the doctor. This is especially common for children because they have not gone as many times and are still easily frightened by pain, blood, and needles. If your child is scared you can show them this book which details exactly what happens during a visit and shows that it is not as scary as you first thought.

This could be used in a classroom to teach about visiting the doctor and common procedures which many of your students may not know. This...more
VampireNovelFan
I think there's a very good reason that this book series has spanned decades and maintained popularity. It gives children the chance to think on their own and make their own choices for behaviors that carry over into their adult lives. Many of these issues will be ones that will persist through their lives, just on different levels of course.

I love the nostalgia reading this as an adult. Even grown-ups struggle with keeping up with their health and attending the doctor regularly. I recommend pas...more
Jordan Lee
This story is about children who are going to the doctor for the first time and are very nervous. But, throughout the book they go through the whole doctor checkup with the bears and they realize the doctor isn’t such a scary place after all. We would use this book in a classroom by teaching children about doctors and how they are here to help you stay healthy. There are many mysteries when it comes to the first visits to the doctor when you are little. I remember being terrified to go, but if I...more
Wendy
Jul 09, 2014 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: karla
My kids loved this book. Made them more comfortable with going to the doctor.
Kristal
A good book to help calm children's fears about going to the doctor.
Adam Utehs
this book talks about how children are all very scared of going to the doctors and getting shots because it might hurt. In this book it shows brother and sister bear go in get shots and it shows that all that worrying was for nothing because the shots didn't even hurt. Most children are scared of the doctors thinking that it will hurt them instead of trying to make them better and this book helps them get over their fears. I would recommend this book to be read to children to get over their fear...more
♥ Sarah ♥
Jul 20, 2014 ♥ Sarah ♥ marked it as to-read-childrens

Age: ?
Lesson:
Purchased: 69 cents from eBay
Kevin
It teaches how check ups are good to get done
Derek Mahar
Sophia really enjoyed this book!
Ashlyn White
I loved this book
Brittany
it awsome
Grace
I would rate this book a 5. This story is about children who are going to the doctor for the first time and are very nervous. But, throughout the book they go through the whole doctor checkup with the bears and they realize the doctor isn't such a scary place after all. You could use this book in a classroom by teaching children about doctors and how they are here to help you stay healthy. This book is good for young children from kindergarten to 3rd grade.
Whitney Strickland
This is another good read that will help inform children about doctors’ visits and make them laugh at the things that go on at the doctor's office. The Berenstain family takes a trip so that brother and sister can get their booster shots. I like this part because this is a very routine thing that most children have to experience. In the future I will definitely share this book with children who may be fearful of what goes on at the doctor's office.
Nivi Krishnakumar
This is a great book to read for understanding sequencing. This book is also a great book to do a character study activity since there are a lot of Berenstain Bears books. I think students will enjoy these books because they are fun books to read and listen to. This is a great book to talk about why it is important to wash hands and what causes you to become sick. This book would be a great introduction to talking about germs.
Brittany Bean
I really enjoy the Berenstain Bear books. This book was talking about going to the doctor. This would be a good book to read to children before they go to the doctor or ease their worry. Most children relate the doctors to pain or sick. This book talks about how it is important to go and have check-ups to make sure you are healthy. This would be a great book to read at home or in the classroom.
Sidney Leon
I found this book to be very humorous for me as a child. I personally was always afraid of going to the doctor but reading this book gave me almost a boost of confidence seeing as sister bear was not afraid to go to do doctor. It's a great book for young readers not only for its humor but also to loosen up that fear of doctor visits. I would recommend this book to children 3 or 4 years and up.
Melanie
It's time for Brother and Sister Bear to visit the doctor for a checkup. They are weighed, temperature taken, height checked and more. The cubs to great until they are told they need booster shots. But Dr. Grizzly talks them through it and they do fine. Papa Bear, however, apparently has a cold!

Dated, but the Berenstain Bears books are still good.
Anna
Read with Logan on a marathon BB reading day in Sept, 2012.

Funny tale of the kids being good at the doctor's office and Papa then needing a shot because he is sneezing, though the entire book he's been insisting he NEVER gets sick.

Update: Re-read this book with Sabrina while visiting Austin in May, 2014.

Classic!
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
★★★★The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor by Stan and Jan Berenstain
This book is about the cubs going to the doctor. They are scared, but do it bravely. The realize that the doctor is not a bad place, and they are there to help you. They also learn that if you don't go to the doctor you can get sick, like Papa Bear.
Kamal Sandhu
Every alternate day....my 3 year old pixie...want me to read it for her. I loved the lines ..."Take a deep breath..& stick out your tongue..Go to Doctor Grizzly, when you are young. When I talk about booster shot ...very innocently she will say...mom, like papa bears...I don't need, as I am not sick.
Dolly
Sep 01, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens
We've read many books in the Berenstain Bears series and we really like them. This is a good one to read when introducing young children to the idea of going to the doctor and (gulp!) getting immunizations. Papa Bear, as always, plays the fool and adds a bit of humor to the story.
Carlee
Reading this book as an adult brings back so many memories of my childhood! I loved the Berenstain Bears books. Most children relate going to the doctor with pain or being sick. This book talks about how it is important to go and have check-ups to make sure you are healthy.
Rachel
This book is a great information introduction for younger children about going to the doctor. It gives a glimpse into what someone might expect at a doctor's appointment. I would recommend this book for someone who is under age 6 and anxious about a doctor's appointment.
Katie Roberts
In this book, Brother Bear and Sister Bear learn about what takes place when they go to the doctor. Going to the doctor can be kind of scary and unknown so it's helpful for young students to see how a doctor's appointment goes through the story of the Berenstain Bears.
Shelli
Stan and Jan Berenstain have a wonderful way of explaining situations that pop up in life in a way that makes sense to small children. This is a great book to share with your child before they visit the doctor, and most importantly before they are given a shot.
Belise Michel
This book is a great tool to use to talk about regular checkup with the doctor. It is also a good tool to use to talk about healthy habits. It is a good book to read before doctor visits the classroom. If you know a child is about to go to the doctor is kind of scared.
Karachi: RIP - Janice Berenstain 1 5 Mar 04, 2012 08:01AM
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5)
  • Curious George Gets a Medal
  • Come Back, Amelia Bedelia
  • Clifford's Birthday Party
  • Trick or Treat, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • Curious George Goes to a Costume Party
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV