Sixth Grade Style Queen (Not!)

Sixth Grade Style Queen (Not!)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A novel in verse set in Australia about a twelve-year-old named Dawn who doesn't know where she belongs. She doesn't fit in with the style queens in her class, nor at home with her parents' rocky relationship. Even her best friend, Emily, doesn't want to be friends anymore.

CBC Book of the Year 2008 - Honour Book Young Reader
Paperback, first, 72 pages
Published May 7th 2007 by Puffin (Penguin Books Australia)

To ask other readers questions about Sixth Grade Style Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sixth Grade Style Queen

Miffy
This 'verse' novel is an absolute heartbreaker. Clark gets right inside the head of Dawn. Dawn is in grade 6 and her best and longest friend has joined the style queens (read bitches), her mum and dad are fighting, and school and home are no longer the havens they once were. Dawn's journey broke my heart, because it was my journey through grade 6 - where friendships change, families can be in upheaval, and the year seems like it's never going to end.
Jess
Every day at the school gates Melissa banner (style queen) is surrounded by girls like a fan club.
Everyday she brings something new to show off - a hair clip, a magazine, lip gloss.

All the girls want to be style queens- except Dawn.Problem is, shes not sure what she wants.

But as everything in her life begins to change, Dawn learns sometimes not having the answers isn't such a bad thing at all.
Chent Higson
This book is all about a girl (Dawn) who expresses her thoughts through poems. The whole book is written in poems. All the girls in Dawns school want to be style queens- except her. She doesn't know what she really wants.
As everything in her life starts to change, Dawn learns that sometimes not having the answers isn't such a bad thing.
Aprille
A short little book written in verse that tells the story of a young girl. I was surprised at how much emotion the author managed to give each character. And I do admit tearing up as well.

If you get the chance to read it, do. It'll only take about five minutes.
Katkoota xD
It was a cute book

Different kind of writing

Kind of a diary with a bit of poetry.

A little funny also
Lduckett Awesome
it wasn't the best book and it wasn't as much of a challenge as i thought it was going to be
Sara
This book was quite short but totally funny and I liked the pictures and the cover
as well.
Brenna
Brenna marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Yolanda
Yolanda marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Paris
Paris added it
Aug 03, 2013
Fiona Dinh
Fiona Dinh marked it as to-read
May 04, 2013
Leslie Sern
Leslie Sern marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012
Kawaljulah
Kawaljulah marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2012
Siobhan Rice
Siobhan Rice marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2012
I have been writing poems and stories for over twenty-five years, and have two collections of poetry published.
In 1996 I wrote my first children’s book, "The Too-Tight Tutu", which was published in 1997 by Penguin Australia. I have since written over 60 children's and YA books, which are published around the world.
My verse novel "Farm Kid" won the 2005 NSW Premier’s Literary Award for Children’s B...more
More about Sherryl Clark...
One Perfect Pirouette Meet Rose (Our Australian Girl - Rose, #1) Rose on Wheels (Our Australian Girl - Rose, #2) Rose's Challenge (Our Australian Girl - Rose, #3) Dying to Tell Me