Start by marking “Ender's Shadow: Command School ” as Want to Read:
Ender's Shadow: Command School

Ender's Shadow: Command School (Ender's Saga (Graphic Novels))

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  5,635 ratings  ·  27 reviews
With time running out for the human race, Bean is assigned to Dragon army under the command of the legendary Ender Wiggin. But their relationship is a bruising clash of egos and agendas from the start - and it only gets worse when Dragon face their first battle.
Hardcover, Premiere , 128 pages
Published April 7th 2010 by Marvel (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ender's Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ender's Shadow

StoryTellerShannon
This tale focuses on one of Ender's eventual lieutenants, Bean, who grows up in the slums and is eventually singled out for his brilliant mind at an incredibly young age. Bean takes a non traditional approach to dealing with the slums as well as Battle School.

It's a nice angle on Bean which wasn't covered in the first Orson Scott Card novel. The artwork is grittier especially in the slum sections of the tale.

The script was by Mike Carey with a number of artists including Sebastian Fiumana and Gi
Jonathan Dorsey
Jonathan Dorsey
Period 4
4/13/14
Review of Ender’s Shadow: Command School

The graphic novel Ender’s Shadow: Command School (written by Orson Scott Card) is a science fiction graphic novel taking place in the near future, perhaps 100 years from now. In this society, Earth was attacked by aliens called “Formics” and humans barely managed to repel their attacks and defend Earth. In order to stop another invasion, the government formed “battle schools” that taught gifted kids how to strategize and figh
Melanie Winter
fennie
another great installment in this series - i really can't wait to get my hands on the next one. i do wonder if the writers/artists will be able to pull it off since what is to come isn't as exciting as what happened in battle and command school.

since i read this right after reading 'ender's game: command school', i noticed immediately that the artwork was grittier, which translates well with the gist of the story. bean's story has a rawness to it because of his background; he is brilliant, but h
Katy
I personally loved Bean ever since Ender's Game. And this book really, "grows" the character, to where in the first book, you really didn't think of him as important as he really is. But, because of this book, it shows the reader of how important this little boy is.
Mitchell
A point of view from one of Ender's good friends, Bean details how Ender choose strategy and action not based on the size of his own troops but on where the enemy is located. In the second edition to the Ender's Game series Orson Scott Card does not let us down.
Quinton Baran
A fitting conclusion to the complementary book Ender's Shadow. The art and style of the characters was immersive and enjoyable. The developing relationships between the main characters is also great.
Magila
Another solid installment. There were a few nice connections between this comic and the Ender's Game comics, but there were also a few elements of the plot that went underdeveloped. That's my major ding.

I really enjoyed the end of this book, and hope that Marvel decides to pursue the rest of the Shadow series. The story arch would lend itself to a graphic novel adaptation. I'd definitely pick up any additional ones that are created.

***** Just remember if you read this without reading the book t
Victoria
That was fun! Ender's Shadow might be my favourite book of the two series, and it was neat to see it recreated in graphic novel format.

That said, I'm not sure this second volume translates as well as the first,
Ender's Shadow: Battle School. Too many characters, too many plot threads, and where it was still easy to follow in volume 1, I'm not convinced that this one would be clear to someone who hadn't already read the novel(s).
Austin
Great art, a truly satisfying compliment to the Ender's game novel series. I downloaded these to my ipad, and it was almost exactly how I had envisioned the settings and people in my head. The covers of these books dont do them justice, the art inside is much, much better, in my opinion. I was very excited by this series, as Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead have been some of my absolute favorite stories for years now. Bean is a BAD ASS!
Jimmy Corvan
Best comic of the series, thus far. For the fist time, the addition of art really added to the story as Fiumara's beautifully portrayed the 'simulator' in Command School. Actually seeing what Card had in mind while writing about Command School was certainly a treat!
Ryan
Oops - I thought this was a different book until I was almost finished. I meant to read "Ender's Game: Command School", which is from Ender's perspective. I didn't notice this was Ender's Shadow, which is from Bean's perspective.
Mathew Carruthers
Another fine graphic novel adaptation in the Ender Saga - though mostly familiar ground, Bean's perspective of events gives it enough freshness that it's like a brand new story.
Tricia
Wasn't as exciting as Ender's Game: Command School, but I did still like it. The style of the shadow ones is easier to understand than the game ones too.
Robert
More of a companion or supplement, this work would be almost incomprehensible to anyone not already familiar with the Ender-verse.
Dan Du
I love this book and my favorite part is when they kidnap petra and she breaks out ::)
Bill
There was a bit more story going on here than in most of the other volumes. I liked it.
Chip
Very faithful graphic novel that managed to capture the mood of the book.
Jeffrey
See my review of Ender's Shadow: Battle School. Same applies here.
stephanie
I like bean very much. I think he is an excellent second brain for ender.
Zak
Pretty awesome graphic novel of one of my favorite Sci Fi series.
jonathan
this volume is defiantly the best of the graphic novel adaptations.
Chuck
Feb 07, 2014 Chuck rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: ender
See my review of "Ender's Game, Vol 1: Battle School"
Claudina Ocando
Wonderful story can't wait to see the movie
Phredric
A superb addition to the Ender series.
Kathy Russell
Enjoyed as much as enders game
Dan
Mar 07, 2010 Dan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the Ender's series
Read as individual issues.
  • Ender's Game, Volume 2: Command School
  • Ender's Game: War of Gifts
  • Formic Wars: Burning Earth
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy
  • Days of Fear, Nights of Anger (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #3)
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 3: Last Stand on Jabim
  • Star Wars Omnibus: Emissaries and Assassins
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 5: The Best Blades
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...

Ender's Saga (Graphic Novels) (9 books)
  • Ender's Game, Volume 1: Battle School (Ender's Saga)
  • Ender's Game, Volume 2: Command School
  • Ender's Shadow: Battle School
  • Ender's Game: War of Gifts
  • Ender in Exile (The Ender Quintet, #1.6)
  • Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2)
  • Formic Wars: Burning Earth
  • Formic Wars: Silent Strike
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man