Start by marking “The Art of Dying: Living Fully Into the Life to Come” as Want to Read:
The Art of Dying: Living Fully Into the Life to Come

The Art of Dying: Living Fully Into the Life to Come

How now shall we die? Death will come to us all, but most of us live our lives as if death does not exist. People are living longer than ever, and medicine has made dying more complicated, more drawn out and more removed from the experience of most people. Death is partitioned off to hospital rooms, separated from our daily lives. Most of us find ourselves at a loss when d ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by IVP Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Dying

May 18, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing
Rob Moll has written a book that is a must have for pastors. I write that for several reason. On, death and dying are really not well taught in seminary. Two, pastors have to be able to deal well with the issues of aging and dying; after all unless Jesus returns, we will all face death, whether in our family, our congregation or in our selves. Three, the culture uses all sorts to 'cosmetic' actions and words to mask the reality of death - something the church did not do until the 20th century.

I picked up Rob Moll's first book at a time when a family member was dying ... too young. The book became a valuable way for me to think through my own responses to his death, and gently prompted me to begin thinking about how I will live well in order to die well.

This is not necessarily a book for those who are mourning, or those who are themselves dying. It is a book for those of us who are able-bodied and of sound mind - and who, because of that, would like to avoid thinking about our own dea
Daralyn Hollenbeck
Mar 12, 2014 Daralyn Hollenbeck rated it really liked it
I feel that this book expounds and refocuses us on chapter 4 of 2 Corinthians. Verses 16-18 "do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

This book encourages us not to get stuck. To get past denial, anger,
Chola Mukanga
Oct 08, 2014 Chola Mukanga rated it liked it
Death may not be an exciting topic but it is certainly an important, if often overlooked subject. Which is why Rob Moll's recent book The Art of Dying is a welcome publication. The book has been written to address the question of the good way to die. Moll believes our culture does not know how to approach death because we have become so removed from experiencing it. This is a problem because we can't live well unless we are intimate with death and know how to die well. The Christian approach, Mo ...more
Seth Pierce
Dec 17, 2013 Seth Pierce rated it liked it
In this book the author chronicles society's, particularly the Christian community's, relationship with death and the dying. He makes the point that we have largely contracted out dealing with the dying to hospitals an funerals homes. We don't want to acknowledge death, deal with it, or help others through it and as a result we do not die well or grieve in a healthy way.

The book is full of inspiring stories and great thoughts--particularly when it comes to holding special services to honor the
Jun 19, 2012 Philip rated it really liked it
Chances are you haven't read to many books about dying. Moll's important and accessible book is a good place to begin:
"Death is indeed evil. Yet death is also a mercy; it is the final affliction of life's miseries. It is the entrance to life with God. Life's passing can be a beautiful gift of God. This riddle of death's evil and its blessing is not difficult to solve. We enact it every Good Friday as well call the evil of Christ's death to be followed on Easter Sunday with the joy of his resurr
Aug 03, 2011 Sheri-lee rated it it was amazing
I'm saying this is a 5 because I feel like it is a book that everyone needs to read...or at least one similar to it. It's a bit drawn out at points but still it is something we all need to recognize. Having worked in geriatrics, I feel all these things much more acutely and have thought these very thoughts. I love the people I work with who are considered elderly. They are so interesting and funny and grumpy and forgetful and lovely and curmungeonly that I can't help but love them. People are pe ...more
Greg Lee
May 16, 2015 Greg Lee rated it it was amazing
Technology has given everyone hope. There is hope around the corner for the next best drug or technology that will prolong our life. However, we as the author states has lost "the art of dying." We have made death a taboo subject that cannot be discussed or debated for fear that it might offend instead of lift up. The author bring to the fore many ideas worth talking about with the living and the dying.
Jacob Coldwell
Jun 09, 2015 Jacob Coldwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vital read for our future

Not an easy one to read because of the topic, but necessary. Great reflection on the inevitable process we all we journey to and through.
Marcie Eubanks
I liked this book. I love what it is setting out to do in getting believers to think about dying well. At times it seemed to rehash what it had already covered, but well worth my time.
Tom Heil
Oct 09, 2014 Tom Heil rated it really liked it
Very thoughtful book on living well and dying well. Challenges our current cultural views on death and calls us to re-embrace ancient Christian practices on death and dying.
Aug 23, 2015 Betty rated it really liked it
A wonderful, thoughtful book. I think it's a good thing to get more familiar with something everyone will experience. Can't ignore it. It's too important.
Reviewed by Herb:
In our society today, death is the taboo word for most. And the real tragedy is not only do many try to hang on to life at any cost, but we also then forgot how to face death well. Moll’s book is a welcome and gentle companion for all who face death personally or in the life of a loved one. Reading it in the light of Debbie’s father’s approaching death was an important component to helping me process what was going on in my own life. Christians can have confidence that death is
Jul 07, 2016 Hillary rated it it was amazing
An important contribution to the role of Christian churches and communities in helping others to live well at the very end.
Mar 24, 2015 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Helpful exploration of cultural challenges of approaching death in today's culture. Opened my eyes to challenges for Christians face today. For those who are dealing with death from a distance and not up close themselves.
May 03, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Such a well written book! Very eye opening!!
Dec 18, 2014 Zack rated it it was amazing
This book is incredibly valuable, and unique. I greatly appreciate Rob's exhortation for the church to have greater initiative in the lives of elderly and dying members. A valuable expansion or follow-up to the book would be a separate work or additional chapter(s) on sudden death, and how that is different than the more typical "gradual" death.
Robin Haworth
Nov 13, 2014 Robin Haworth rated it did not like it
Given that there are few (or no) other books on the topic of "dying well", which is a concept that I find fascinating, I had somewhat high hopes for this book. Unfortunately, I found it to be completely, utterly, horribly, 100% terrible. It was perhaps the longest 150-page book I've ever read. It was poorly written, repetitive, and short on insight.
Jul 25, 2015 Casey rated it really liked it
Great book about the importance of mourning, caring for the elderly, and thinking about and planning for our own deaths and the deaths of those we care about. Sounds morbid, but Moll argues (successfully, I think) that this sort of contemplation allows us to live our lives more purposefully.
Amy Young
Jun 24, 2013 Amy Young rated it liked it
Really a 3.5 as Rob Moll provides a sound theological orientation towards death. This is a book that's good to read when you or a loved one is not facing death knowing that at some point you will be. It's also a resource for those with loved one dying -- either young or old.
Jul 28, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it
What a phenomonal book! I couldn't put it down. I am contemplating using it for a small group study. It is full of information/concepts we all need. We must all face death one day, and there can and should be good deaths for all of us.
Dec 22, 2010 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very thought-provoking book on the value of life at every stage, whether one is experiencing it first-hand or knows someone who is dying. I highly recommend reading this at least once.
Jan 21, 2012 Dora rated it really liked it
An intelligent, compassionate, and hopeful look at both walking along side the dying as a community and experiencing ones own death.
Jeff Vankooten
Jun 22, 2015 Jeff Vankooten rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hospice
Good overview of the Christian way of dying over the centuries.
Aug 06, 2011 Keith added it
This book appealed to the existentialist in me.
Judy rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Karen Reedy
Karen Reedy is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2016
Landon rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
jne herbal 1 1 Mar 24, 2015 06:07AM
  • Free: Spending Your Time and Money on What Matters Most
  • Knowing Christ Today: Why We Can Trust Spiritual Knowledge
  • The Triumph of Christianity: How the Jesus Movement Became the World's Largest Religion
  • Pilgrimage of a Soul: Contemplative Spirituality for the Active Life
  • The Life of the Body: Physical Well-Being and Spiritual Formation
  • God in the Wasteland: The Reality of Truth in a World of Fading Dreams
  • Loving the Way Jesus Loves
  • For All God's Worth: True Worship and the Calling of the Church
  • Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise
  • Gospel in Life Study Guide: Grace Changes Everything
  • Love in Hard Places
  • The World Is Not Ours to Save: Moving from Activist Causes to a Lifelong Calling
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • Church Refugees: Sociologists reveal why the dechurched left… and what they're hoping to find
  • Gospel-Centred Family
  • Visions of Vocation: Common Grace for the Common Good
  • Unspeakable: Facing Up to Evil in an Age of Genocide and Terror
  • Flesh: Bringing the Incarnation Down to Earth

“if Christians are to know the greatness of Jesus Christ’s victory over death, they must know that death is evil.” 2 likes
“However, those in mourning and their comforters may make grieving more difficult when our Christian hope is used to discourage public mourning.” 1 likes