Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby

Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  19 reviews
24 sewing projects that celebrate the joy of a new babyCome stitch alongside celebrated fabric designer Anna Maria Horner as she prepares for her own new baby. This stunning collection of nursery d?cor, keepsakes, maternity wear, baby?s clothing, and more is all breathtakingly photographed as Anna Maria progresses through her pregnancy.

Mothers-to-be, grandparents, family,...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Wiley (first published 2010)

Ciara
crafty sewing projects for new moms, babies, other caretakers, & siblings. there are so many ideas here! everything from the expected (baby quilts) to the ingenious (d.i.y. swaddle!). some of her ideas for mama clothes are really smart. she has tips on making them for a pregnant lady & then taking out a few elements, adding in new ones, & boom! a nursing top!

horner wrote this book upon the arrival of her SEVENTH child, so obviously she's been around the block a few times & knows...more
Sarah Cofer
Very nice book! Wish I knew how to sew BEFORE having babies. I love the maternity dress and the nursing shirt. Also there is a beautiful pattern for a family tree! Other patterns include booties, diaper bag (one for mama and one for daddy,) sleep sack, blankets, mobile, wall art, nesting cubes, and more.
Drea
Many great projects and ideas. I love that this book includes patterns for Pregnant ladies! Not too many books out there with up-to-date maternity clothes... Lovely photographs of finished projects.
However, the directions are a bit skimpy. Step-by-step instructions are lacking in detail with some steps entirely indecipherable. I only made it through one pattern (the maternity dress) before having to return this to the library (I'll be trying out some of the other projects when I get a chance.)...more
Rebecca
This was lovely. Anna Maria covered some great welcoming baby basics. I loved the section just for Momma and I have currently finished two projects from this book. Like most sewing books, there were a couple of projects that didn't appeal to me, but taste is in the individual. Well written with lots of great photos for inspiration.
Lyla
I like this book. I have borrowed it from the library at the recommendation of a friend. She makes the Quick Change Trousers a lot for her boys.

I found the pattern and directions easy to use. I traced a few sizes for myself to try. I hope they make good gifts. Super cute pants! I'm making flannel sets for my boys : )
Hope
What fun! Good patterns written clearly enough for a beginning with lots of room to experiment if you're so inclined. The author has an engaging, conversational voice throughout. I'm considering making the tunic/dress for myself just because it's adorable and looks comfy.
Miss
Obviously these things are very subjective - I only like one project enough to make it: the Mama Hen & her chicks.

Although...I wonder if the maternity tunic/dress would work for a regular old plus size...Hmmmm...

Sarahmarie
I just finished making my own version of the Spectrum Quilt in this book. her aesthetic and mine didn't match up well in general, but this one project was fun and turned
out well using her clear instructions.
Annette
Has some cute patterns, but this type of book assumes one has lots of time available to sew or shop for fabric. Probably a better choice for someone sewing for someone else, rather than themselves.
Leila T.
This is cute, if a skosh too rough-and-ready to be aspirational, but I love the ideas in here and hope to try at least one of the several patterns that appeal the most to me.
Sheila
I need to make some of these projects. Anna Maria uses fantastic fabrics to make simple designs really spectacular. I love many of these projects!
Carol-Anne
I loved this book! You can gain sewing inspiration even if you are not sewing for a baby. Interesting, slightly liberated projects. A lovely book.
Lois
spiderweb baby quilt. a couple of interesting designs for tops for nursing. wonderful family photo of the kids with the new baby. fun.
Emelda
Not really stuff my style, although it's renewing my want to start on a quilt when I move! I really like the last quilt in the book.
Helena
Cute projects. Maybe by the time we have another kid my sewing skills will have improved such that I can make some of them. :)
Xuan
lots of good ideas and explanations. i gotta get a copy for myself, which shows how much i enjoyed the ideas.
Jess
beautiful photographs, wonderful projects - can't wait to start sewing some projects from this book!
Holly Booms Walsh
Another good pattern book for babies and expectant mommies from Horner. Her books are a visual joy.
Kelly
Feb 26, 2011 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: wiley
Love the booties in this book
Cecília Machado
Cecília Machado marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Hannah Ballou
Hannah Ballou marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Amy
Amy added it
Jul 17, 2014
Tonya Bilbrey
Tonya Bilbrey marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Aldene
Aldene is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014