Start by marking “Slow Down for Manatees” as Want to Read:
Slow Down for Manatees

Slow Down for Manatees

Manatees are the gentle giants of southeastern coastal waterways. An endangered species, their biggest threat is humans, who unwittingly hit them with their boats in shallow waters. Jim Arnosky?s conversational narrative tells the story of one such accident, which leads the manatee to be taken to a rescue and rehabilitation facility. There they discover that the manatee is ...more
Published February 4th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Slow Down for Manatees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Down for Manatees

Dolly
Jun 09, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a "based on a real story" fictional account of a pregnant manatee who is injured by a boat and nursed back to health. Later, both the manatee and her baby calf were released back into the canal. It's a nice tale, and cautions to drive boats slowly around waters where manatees live.
Peacegal
Apr 27, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humane-education
Make Way for Ducklings gets a modern update with Slow Down for Manatees. This title will be essential reading for humane education classrooms, especially in coastal areas.

Many of us are already well aware that speedboats are one of the beleaguered sea mammals’ worst enemies. Early in the story, the author paints a memorable scene of a manatee’s encounter with a speeding motor boat:

[S]he heard the loud sound of a boat coming fast.

The boat hit her and pushed her down, crushing her ribs against th
David
Dec 15, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Slow Down for Manatees by Jim Arnosky tells a story, based on a true incident, of an accident when a boat hits a pregnant manatee, and the rescue effort that follows.

When a slow-moving manatee is struck by a passing motorboat, she is terribly injured, drifting with the tide until a group of fisherman rescue her, taking her to a local aquarium to be nursed back to health. There it's discovered that the manatee is pregnant, and, while still recovering, her calf in born. As both mother and child gr
Kimberlee Gutterman
Sep 09, 2016 Kimberlee Gutterman rated it it was amazing
As a read aloud this story opens up conversation about how to take care of our planet and all the animals in it. We as humans should we are always careful and respectful of wildlife which is a great lesson for children of all ages. To help instill the importance of animals we could have a class pet. By instilling the value of helping others at a young age this will hopefully create a lasting desire that will continue into adulthood. Although the manatee survives, she has to live with the scars b ...more
Traci Bold
Jun 30, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Manatees are gentle, docile beautiful creatures of the sea. and their favorite hangout is in the shallow ocean waters where mangrove leaves are.

Unfortunately, humans have taken over their space with their boats and are not always aware a manatee is close by thus hitting the manatee and hurting them or worse, killing them.

This gentle, beautiful picture book by Jim Arnosky shows us how easily such accidents happen and what people are doing to stop it from happening.

Published by G.P. Putnam Sons.

#
Oct 21, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
While the information in this text is accurate, I found the overall story and information a bit lacking. I wish that the story had included more actual details about manatee rescue; Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa rescues manatees (as do other zoos and aquariums) and it would have been nice to include a specific and real manatee rescue site. Recommended for collections with a specific need for animal rescue or manatee books. This book is best for students in kindergarten and first grade; older students ...more
Sidney
Aug 30, 2016 Sidney rated it liked it
The Manatee in this book is really cute. This book is sad and shows the dangers that people can have on ocean wildlife. The ending is happy, but what happens to the manatee is sad so it has to go into a recuse center where they take care of it and its baby until they can release it into the wild. The manatee doesn't like captivity, but is happy when it is released back into the wild where it can swim free. This book will help teach children about the dangers of littering and what it can do to wi ...more
Jun 12, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-books
The story of my of a pregnant manatee that is struck by a passing boat, this is one of those stories designed mostly to raise awareness for manatees. As per usual with Jim Arnosky, the book is well done and readers are sure to fall for the manatee and want to take a proactive environmental stance on the issue. Though fiction, it's based on the all-too-common real life accounts that he researched in writing this. Good book.
Kelsey Sant
Nov 25, 2016 Kelsey Sant rated it it was amazing
This book was very well done! It portrayed an environmental problem-endangered manatees- in a beautiful and relateable way and bases it off of a real story. This book could most definitely be used in the classroom. It is not too dense, the students will easily be able to understand the problem, and it would be a great springboard into an activist type unit.
Tristan Doane
Sep 07, 2016 Tristan Doane rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
At first this book was interesting but in the end it got a little boring. Yes I understand that saving the manatees are a big deal, but I am a fan of the more adventurer type of books. But it does serve it's purpose by letting the reader know that there is a problem out there and someone needs to fix it.
Katie Fleming
Sep 13, 2013 Katie Fleming rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
"Slow Down for Manatees," by Jim Arnosky is a heartfelt story about a pregnant manatee who gets injured and is nursed back to health. It brings awareness to the importance of boaters to slow down in shallow water for the manatees who swim very slow. I thought this story was knowledgable and interesting. I really enjoyed reading it. Also, the illustrations were great.
Tricia
Mar 21, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it
Using beautiful illustrations which set the scene and capture the gentle charm of the manatee, this book shares a story about one injured in shallow waters by a boat's propeller. Not graphic but dramatic enough to gain young activists' interest in helping this creature.
Hank
Dec 28, 2014 Hank added it
Shelves: children-s-books
Arnosky's books are uniformly great for connecting with kids who are interested in animals. My daughter was not that familiar with manatees before I read this one to her and, afterwards, she became quite interested in them. I think it's good for kids in grades 2-5.
Brooke
Sep 02, 2016 Brooke rated it liked it
I love animals and this book walked the reader through the manatee's life of living in the wild, getting hurt, healing inside a sanctuary, and back to the wild with her baby. This type of book would be a good one before a field trip to the aquarium.
Anthony Kline
Oct 18, 2013 Anthony Kline rated it it was ok
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
I thought this book was okay. I do think the illustrations were really good but I do not think a child would be interested in this book. It does seem to bring awareness to boaters about their harm to shallow boating though.
Melanie
A manatee is seriously injured by a passing boats' propeller blades. Picked up by passing fishermen, she is nursed back to health in an aquarium. During the healing process, she gives birth to a calf. Based on a true story, Arnosky beautifully illustrates a growing problem.
Jean
Dec 22, 2010 Jean rated it really liked it
#bookaday 4of5stars for another message book w/o overdoing. All of my students love animals. Great for discussing saving our wildlife.
Allison
Feb 19, 2010 Allison rated it liked it
A great story about a manatee mom who was injured by a boat in Florida, rescued, healed, and re-released back into the wild. Good notes on how to take much better care of our friends!
Shelley
Feb 27, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This book is about what happened to a manatee when a boat ran over it. This is a great way to teach students how our actions can affect animals in the wild. This is a non-fiction book.
Angie Quantrell
May 19, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely informative book about manatees. This book teaches about the hazards of boats in manatee environments. Nice calm illustrations.
Angie
May 26, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
Not much in the way of information for research but an important story, nonetheless. Their greatest threat is humans. Even humans that are trying NOT to be a threat.
Kyla
Mar 19, 2012 Kyla rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-306
This book would be good for teaching students about different animals. Most teach about sharks, but manatees are just as awesome. This book has good illustrations as well.
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2010
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2010
Janina
Janina rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Tian Wei
Tian Wei rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jim Arnosky was born in New York City, NY Sept 1, 1946. He was raised in Pennsylvania. Jim graduated from high school in Philadelphia and joined the US Naval Reserves. His active duty took him to Maryland and Bremerhaven, Germany.
In 1976 Jim and his wife Deanna moved to Vermont with their two daughters where they have lived in an old farmhouse for the past 28 years. 17 of those years were spent ra
More about Jim Arnosky...