Slow Down for Manatees

Slow Down for Manatees

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Manatees are the gentle giants of southeastern coastal waterways. An endangered species, their biggest threat is humans, who unwittingly hit them with their boats in shallow waters. Jim Arnosky?s conversational narrative tells the story of one such accident, which leads the manatee to be taken to a rescue and rehabilitation facility. There they discover that the manatee is...more
Published February 4th 2010 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Slow Down for Manatees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Down for Manatees

Dolly
Jun 09, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a "based on a real story" fictional account of a pregnant manatee who is injured by a boat and nursed back to health. Later, both the manatee and her baby calf were released back into the canal. It's a nice tale, and cautions to drive boats slowly around waters where manatees live.
David
Slow Down for Manatees by Jim Arnosky tells a story, based on a true incident, of an accident when a boat hits a pregnant manatee, and the rescue effort that follows.

When a slow-moving manatee is struck by a passing motorboat, she is terribly injured, drifting with the tide until a group of fisherman rescue her, taking her to a local aquarium to be nursed back to health. There it's discovered that the manatee is pregnant, and, while still recovering, her calf in born. As both mother and child gr...more
Peacegal
Make Way for Ducklings gets a modern update with Slow Down for Manatees. This title will be essential reading for humane education classrooms, especially in coastal areas.

Many of us are already well aware that speedboats are one of the beleaguered sea mammals’ worst enemies. Early in the story, the author paints a memorable scene of a manatee’s encounter with a speeding motor boat:

[S]he heard the loud sound of a boat coming fast.

The boat hit her and pushed her down, crushing her ribs against th
While the information in this text is accurate, I found the overall story and information a bit lacking. I wish that the story had included more actual details about manatee rescue; Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa rescues manatees (as do other zoos and aquariums) and it would have been nice to include a specific and real manatee rescue site. Recommended for collections with a specific need for animal rescue or manatee books. This book is best for students in kindergarten and first grade; older students...more
Katie Fleming
"Slow Down for Manatees," by Jim Arnosky is a heartfelt story about a pregnant manatee who gets injured and is nursed back to health. It brings awareness to the importance of boaters to slow down in shallow water for the manatees who swim very slow. I thought this story was knowledgable and interesting. I really enjoyed reading it. Also, the illustrations were great.
Melanie
A manatee is seriously injured by a passing boats' propeller blades. Picked up by passing fishermen, she is nursed back to health in an aquarium. During the healing process, she gives birth to a calf. Based on a true story, Arnosky beautifully illustrates a growing problem.
Tricia
Using beautiful illustrations which set the scene and capture the gentle charm of the manatee, this book shares a story about one injured in shallow waters by a boat's propeller. Not graphic but dramatic enough to gain young activists' interest in helping this creature.
Anthony Kline
I thought this book was okay. I do think the illustrations were really good but I do not think a child would be interested in this book. It does seem to bring awareness to boaters about their harm to shallow boating though.
Allison
A great story about a manatee mom who was injured by a boat in Florida, rescued, healed, and re-released back into the wild. Good notes on how to take much better care of our friends!
Shelley
This book is about what happened to a manatee when a boat ran over it. This is a great way to teach students how our actions can affect animals in the wild. This is a non-fiction book.
Kyla
This book would be good for teaching students about different animals. Most teach about sharks, but manatees are just as awesome. This book has good illustrations as well.
Jean Brodahl
#bookaday 4of5stars for another message book w/o overdoing. All of my students love animals. Great for discussing saving our wildlife.
David Wachter

Great bedtime book with my kids. They totally love it and want to read over and over again.
Sherri
Sweet, good for slightly older kids. Illustrations could be disturbing.
Jen
Aug 07, 2011 Jen added it
decent book on environmental awareness--treating our planet with care.
Heather
My kids liked it a lot. We read it for earth day.
Nicole
Such a neat story, enjoyed sharing it with kids.
Christy
Mother and baby
natural science
Julie
Jim Arnosky is so cool.
Amy
A cute tale with a moral.
Angelo
Angelo added it
Aug 13, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Anya R
Anya R added it
Aug 01, 2014
Deidra
Deidra added it
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jim Arnosky was born in New York City, NY Sept 1, 1946. He was raised in Pennsylvania. Jim graduated from high school in Philadelphia and joined the US Naval Reserves. His active duty took him to Maryland and Bremerhaven, Germany.
In 1976 Jim and his wife Deanna moved to Vermont with their two daughters where they have lived in an old farmhouse for the past 28 years. 17 of those years were spent ra...more
More about Jim Arnosky...
Thunder Birds: Nature's Flying Predators I'm A Turkey! Babies in the Bayou Every Autumn Comes the Bear Grandfather Buffalo