Start by marking “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” as Want to Read:
Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Goldilocks and the Three Bears

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A wry retelling of the classic tale about a bold and very particular girl plays out in lighthearted illustrations filled with intricate details.

Once upon a time, a naughty little girl named Goldilocks stuck her nose where it didn’t belong. She didn’t wonder. She didn’t ask. She walked straight into the Three Bears’ house and made herself at home. "Disgusting and cold!" she
Published February 9th 2010 by Candlewick Press (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Goldilocks and the Three Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Lindsay Johnson
Nov 18, 2014 Lindsay Johnson rated it really liked it
Emma Chichester Clark's version of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" is very similar to the original folktale. This traditional literature story has been passed down from generation to generation and has been told time and time again. Three bears, Daddy Bear, Mommy Bear, and Baby Bear went for a walk while their porridge cooled down. Meanwhile, Goldilocks is hungry and comes into the Bear's house to get something to eat. Daddy Bear's porridge was too cold, Mommy Bear's porridge was too cold, but ...more
Laura Voyatzis
Sep 08, 2012 Laura Voyatzis rated it really liked it
Golilocks is a classical tale of a little girl who goes wondering in places she shouldn't! She enters the house of a family of bears and eats their porridge, breaks their chair and sleeps in their bed! Goldilocks gets her comeuppance when the bears return home and she is so terrified that she runs home and doesn't leave her room for over a week.
Chichester-Clark's version on this book is laid out well with easy to read spacing and line breaks that make reading easy for young children. The illustr
Patricia Stephens
Oct 03, 2014 Patricia Stephens rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This classic tale retold by Emma Clark added a new style and version to the story that I really liked. It was the typical story of Goldilocks and how she got into the three bear's house and ruined their belongings because of her curiosity and selfishness.

What I thought was neat about this version is that the text and the illustrations were very large, and very in-your-face, which I believed connected to the whole meaning of the story and how Goldilocks was into all of the bear's belongings. Als
Apr 15, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I have always been quite taken by creative types who have masterfully managed to write a children's book and illustrate it, too. Who are these people? I sure would like to spend a moment or two in their heads and learn a few things.

Emma Chichester-Clark, the author and illustrator behind this version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, does a stunning job of keeping the fairy tale intact. If there is one thing I hate about modern re-tellings of classic fairy tales are they strips children from t
Kcodd92
Mar 21, 2012 Kcodd92 rated it really liked it
Goldilocks and the three bears by Emma Chickerster Clark is about a dad, mom and baby bear getting read to eat their morning porridge. The porridge was too hot so they went for a walk. While they were out walking a girl named Goldilocks walked into their house and started trying their porridge. The first one she tried was too cold, the second one she tried was too hot, and the third one was just right so she ate the whole thing. After she's finished eating she finds a book and looks for somewher ...more
Staphany Ramirez
Oct 07, 2012 Staphany Ramirez rated it it was ok
Goldilocks and the Three Bears by Emma Chichester Clark was a delight to read. This book brought so many memories, I'm not sure what age I was read this to, but I do remember that I loved it. I found all the elements fascinating. This time I re-read this book it was a whole different experience due to the attention I put on the detail of the pictures and text. There is a lot of detail put on this book. The colors are like bright pastel colors, yet very light colored and calming. One thing that c ...more
Katelyn Lopez
Oct 10, 2012 Katelyn Lopez rated it really liked it
I read Goldilocks and the three bears and I very much enjoyed it. I read this fairytale many times when I was younger so it was familiar to me. It is about a Papa bear, Mama Bear, and Baby Bear. One day they made porridge but it was way too hot, so they decided to go on a stroll while it cools down. While they were out, a little girl named Goldilocks stumbled upon their house and entered it. She discovered the porridge and ate it. Next she sat in the chairs and broke the baby one. Finally she la ...more
Rachel
Dec 09, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: t-l-544
Genre: Traditional Literature
Copyright: 2009
Thoughts: This is just a traditional Goldilocks and the Three Bears story. There is some dialogue and interesting pictures but it's basically standard.
Claire Rozint
Sep 28, 2014 Claire Rozint rated it really liked it
This is the classic story we have all heard of Goldilocks and the three bears with a twist on modern language. Only a bit of different language than the classic story.
Linnea Lyding
Nov 18, 2010 Linnea Lyding rated it really liked it
This version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears is whimsical and entertaining. In this story, Goldilocks appears to be a brave, brazen, little girl - that is until she gets caught. Then, she is so frightened that her hair stands on end. The three bears are a happy little family. The pictures enhance the charm of the story! From the striking opening endpage to the back cover, the pencil and acrylic drawings are delightful. They are filled with detail, color, and design! If you are reading Goldiloc ...more
Rebecca
May 03, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Recommends it for: age 4 and up
This is a pretty traditional retelling, but I do like the heavily-patterned illustrations (like Daddy Bear's checkered pants) and some of the longer words ("That someone is a HOOLIGAN and a THIEF!" growled Daddy Bear). Observant eyes will enjoy looking for details such as pictures on the bears' walls, and the fact that Goldilocks reads a copy of "Little Red Riding Hood."
Apr 21, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
I love the illustrations in this telling of Goldilocks. I know we're supposed to side with the bears at the violation of their house, but part of me wondered if Goldilocks was really just being neglected by her parents. If I were to rewrite this tale, I would have the three bears inviting her to have breakfast with them the next day. Maybe she's just hungry.
Susan Erhardt
Mar 10, 2010 Susan Erhardt rated it really liked it
This is a pretty straightforward version. I read it at storytime and the kids liked it, though I confess that I cringed when Goldilocks described something as "stupid". The author uses several unusual words (like stupendous or ravenous), which is useful in building up the early literacy skill of vocabulary.
Shelli
Oct 29, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
There are so many versions of these classic tales that unless it totally deviates from the original it tends to get lost on me. This one didn't deviate enough to make the story stand on its own, but I did like the additional vocabulary words that the author sprinkled in.
Samantha Peterson
Nov 27, 2012 Samantha Peterson rated it it was amazing
Goldilocks is a classical tale of a little girl who goes wondering in places she shouldn't! She enters the house of a family of bears and eats their porridge, breaks their chair and sleeps in their bed! This classical tale teaches that bad behavior has consequences.
Sonia
Feb 20, 2013 Sonia rated it it was amazing
This is our absolute tip top favourite version of goldilocks. beautiful illustrations. wonderfully musical prose. a joy to read aloud with real expression. my husband and I take it in turn to do the voices of the different characters and our daughter loves it.
The Library Lady
Mar 06, 2010 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Appealing pictures and a nice, fairly traditional telling. I like that Goldilocks is looking for a place to read a book when she tries that chairs, and that the book she's reading is obviously "Little Red Riding Hood"!
Tricia
Mar 28, 2010 Tricia rated it liked it
While I always opt for the Galdone with the classics, this new title offers fresh life to the classic tale of Goldilocks. Great for storytime---large picture book with bright and attractive illustrations.
Rima
Sep 26, 2013 Rima rated it really liked it
My 3 yr olds favourite "godisocks" book. I love the illustrations however i do omit some of the words when i read it to her - goldilocks is a bit too naughty with her language for my liking.
Carol
Sep 24, 2012 Carol rated it it was ok
Moral to the story...Goldilocks ran all the way home, where she hid under her bed....And she'll never poke her nose into other people's houses again. Good moral!
Karen
Aug 31, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
Beautiful illustrations and a nice modern take on the classic story. What was Goldilocks doing nosing around the bears house?
Ruth Ann
May 21, 2013 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Lovely illustrations and some new dialogue.
PWRL
Jan 28, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
E
SM
T Crockett
T Crockett rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Cierra Fisher
Cierra Fisher marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Noelle Boc
Noelle Boc rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Angelica
Angelica rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Education:
Chelsea School of Art, B.A. (with honors), 1978;
Royal College of Art, M.A. (with honors), 1983.