Start by marking “Warriors & Healers” as Want to Read:
Warriors & Healers

Warriors & Healers

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When Dr. Daniel Ugarte arrives from Spain to work on the Apache reservation, he meets Jeff Redbear, a Native American social worker, and Sean McCallum, the local sheriff. The men come from three different worlds, and they have little to no common ground until an immediate, unexpected attraction sparks between them.

Facing the growing desire is just the beginning of the obst
Published December 6th 2009 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Warriors & Healers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warriors & Healers

911 by Chris OwenMore by Sloan ParkerBound by Law by S.E. JakesThe Strongest Shape by Tessa CárdenasRoom at the Top by Jane Davitt
Best Gay 3 Ways
64th out of 134 books — 176 voters
Dirty Kiss by Rhys FordMine by Mary CalmesWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyGives Light by Rose ChristoDex in Blue by Amy Lane
Best Interracial and Multicultural M/M Romances
188th out of 190 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenre
There were a few things which attracted me to this book. I'd quite enjoyed this author's story in the Games in the Dark anthology and wanted to see whether that quality of writing would be sustained over a longer book; I like m/m/m stories; and the setting of this book - a Native American reservation - was unusual and I was intrigued how that setting would play a part in the story. In the end, this book was well written with the three men being flawed and complex characters but overall the story ...more
Sadie Forsythe
There were times that this book was so sweet my heart wanted to fly from my chest. There were other times that same attempted sweetness became so saccharine I almost couldn't be brought to keep reading. This book was really hit and miss for me. Some aspects of it I loved—how determinedly loving Sean was, for example. However, even more aspects of it either forced eye rolls or flat out exasperated huffs from me—how Daniel was nothing more than a china doll for Sean and Jeff to love between them, ...more
Kira
Jun 13, 2011 Kira rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: menage
Feliz
It's a well - written story. The characters are depicted in a sympathetic way, each with his flaws and stregths. They have pretty distinctive voices, too. The story is told from the alternating POV's of all three men, thus the reader learns each of them though the eyes of the others as well as through their internal thoughts and fights.
All three men are really heavily conflicted. Daniel endured a horrible childhood with abuse of the meanest kind. Jeff was abandoned by his mother in a very youn
Aislinn
This one had some good moments, and I mostly liked the characters and minor delving into their various cultures. I wasn't crazy about the way that Daniel was portrayed in his relationship with the other two, especially at the end as they finally came together, being too much like a victorian damsel. The endearments at the end really spoiled it for me too - a little of that goes a long way, and it was layered on thickly. Great idea, unevenly realized.
Charlie Richards
Just when I thought I had a handle on the story-line, it took a new twist. I really liked the way this story gripped me from the first scene and kept me turning pages. There were times when I wanted to smack the characters for their choices, but that was all part of their growth and learning process. Excellent book! I look forward to more by this author.
xbmbgrl
Prideful social worker, Jeff, dominant Sheriff, Sean and wounded doctor, Daniel come together in this book as colleagues of sorts at first. Distrust, shame, pride, family, past abuse, fear, illness, injury, assumption and poor communication skills all come between the men at various times. As job necessity pulls everyone closer explosive sexual needs begin to grow between them as well.

Sean and Jeff, both strong men with little to no tenderness in their passion crave Daniel’s softness as the bal
ARe Cafe
Warriors & Healers by H. J. Brues is an m/m/m contemporary novel told in three alternating third-person viewpoints and set in the Jicarilla Apache reservation in northern New Mexico. This is a powerful first novel that may especially delight those readers who are fascinated by the thought of three men in a simultaneous romantic relationship. The love affair between Irish-American Sean, Native American Jeff, and Daniel, who hails all the way from Spain, goes far beyond a one-time sexual three ...more
Danielle
Loved Yakuza Pride by this author but Warriors and Healers might as well have been written by two different people they are so different in their writing style.

I had a hard time getting into this one, the write was really chunky and there wasn't a lot of dialogue or movement to break it up just a lot of self loathing, pity, internal struggles etc.

The time line was also off. Each chapter jumps ahead by weeks of months sometimes and it takes a little while to realize that.

Anyway, give it a go i
Grandmat
Perhaps 3.5. Characterizations are good, but I would have liked to see Daniel deal with his issues and Jeff resolve his family conflict. Maybe Brues has a sequel in the works. The relationship driven plot is complex, but other plot elements are simplistic. Still, an enjoyable read. Also, with my history of severe migraines, i found Daniels suffering to be authentic and added interest that operated as a convenient plot vehicle.
Impy
Not my usual type of read but I enjoyed it immensely. I'll admit that I skimmed over the racier scenes and noticed a certain jumpiness in the book as the story jumped ahead jarringly. But I also liked the characters and found a lot of the story sweet and romantic.
Joy
OK, how did I miss that this was a 3-way in the description? Anyway, it had potential it didn't really live up to--I would have loved to read more--or even, I dunno, *anything*-- about health care on an Indian reservation, for example. Disappointing.
Susinok
Nice story of three coming together. Daniel has to learn to trust that others see him as worthy, and Jeff has to get over his fear of being hurt. Sometimes the writing style was a bit awkward with mental ramblings, but I did enjoy the book.
Mandi
I really enjoyed this story. My only complaint is that it didn't seem like the three main characters had much 'screen time' together.

I can safely say that H.J. Brues is now on my 'Author to-read' list!
True
i really enjoyed this book. i came back to this book a few times before i actually got it. I can honestly say that I am happy I bought it. :)
Ariel
An interesting look into Native American culture and the clash of cultures when Native American, mainstream American, and European cultures meet.
Omega696
I really, really wanted to kick Jeff. Hard. But the story was good anyway.
Judie
I really liked this book!
Wichard Fella
Wichard Fella marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Tereza
Tereza marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Hpstrangelove
Hpstrangelove marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • Where the Heart Is
  • By Any Other Name (By Any Other Name #1)
  • Bound To Please
  • Starting Over
  • The Given & The Taken (Tooth and Claw, #1)
  • What We Deserve
  • Human Nature
  • Loving Edits (Basque, #1)
  • Trifecta
  • Sin Row (Sin #1)
  • Another Little Secret (Sandpipers, #1.5)
  • Sleeping Stone
  • Room at the Top (Room at the Top #1)
  • Exploring Limits (Exploring Limits, #1)
  • Necking
  • 911 (911, #1)
  • The Strongest Shape
  • Three of a Kind
H.J. Brues lives in Spain, enjoying the hot weather, the brisk language, the warm-hearted people, and the thousands of books of the library she works in. She has a degree in medieval history and loves castles, knights in shining armor, and barbarian warriors with no armor at all. She practiced fencing till her knees started complaining, took archery till her elbow almost fell off, and then, wisely ...more
More about H.J. Brues...
Yakuza Pride (The Way of the Yakuza #1) Yakuza Courage (The Way of the Yakuza #2) Games In The Dark A Brush of Wings