Santa Claustrophobia

Santa Claustrophobia

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The comedic team that last explained How Murray Saved Christmas--Simpsons writer Mike Reiss and editorial illustrator David Catrow--returns for another comical yuletide rhyme.

At first glance, their book threatens to be too wacky for its own good, but Reiss quickly saves the tale with fun rhymes and abundant cleverness. Santa Claus suffers from recurring nightmares about g

Published September 28th 2002 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2002)

Dolly
Dec 03, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently discovered How Murray Saved Christmas at my sister-in-law's house, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover this book at our girls' elementary school library.

I thought at first that this story was a prequel, since it introduces us more to the characters that were mentioned in the story about Murray. But apparently it was published afterward and the plot lines don't really have all that much in common.

It has the same type of rhyming and lyrical narrative and crazy, fun illustration...more
JaNeal
Okay, I will be the first to say that you wouldn't want your four-year old repeating a couple of the lines (nothing serious, though) and a lot of the characterization goes over their heads (politics, psychology, etc.), but for those who are old enough to understand the puns and play on words/characters this is a funny book. (And that was a long sentence!) There are several good ideas in this one, it's just not a true kiddie book (you'd have to explain too much to get the laughs, and explaining u...more
Patricia
Samantha
Jan 21, 2012 Samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
This book was very different than the usual ones I've read. I wouldn't want to vacation in Stinky Cigars. Seems like a bit of trouble would happen if I went there. I do have a problem with the description of Cupid however. I just don't see how he could be stupid. Oh well, the book made me laugh, so something must have been done right. =)
Snorkle
This was a slightly odd tale, but it was fairly unique. Some parts of it were clever, but I found some parts kind of lame. The illustrations were full of color. I might recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Heather
43 months - A unique Christmas story that would probably appeal more to older kids. There were a few too many references to thing I don't think my child could make connections to. A few reads of this one is enough for us. We certainly don't need to own it.
Jen
Dec 24, 2007 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, parents, teachers
I read this book every year. I just love the non-traditional holiday books that my class hasn't read before. This one is great because of the rhyme and the references to various holiday characters besides Santa.
Skylar Burris
An amusing tale in which Doc Holiday (with the help of the groundhog, the April Fool, Cupid, and a band of other holiday mascots) fails to save Christmas.
Susie
Probably more of an adult xmas book as there is lots of humor (not dirty) that kids wouldn't understand. Maybe that's why I liked it so much...
Dayna
funny book about all the holiday "mascots" who live together in the off season. They all have different conditions and have to see Doc Holiday.
Amanda_DJ n' Zac
A bit older then we have been reading for kids books I think. But we still liked it an it's a good addition to our bookshelves.
Deborah
Very cute and creative. Saw it at the library because it was shelved out of place.
I love this story about Stinky Cigars, the place where all the holiday legends live.
Alexandria
Randall
My dad really liked it but I thought it was too long and boring.
Trenny
I look forward to Christmas each year and this book!
Radawn
All the Mike Reiss books are fantastic! Funny and clever.
Rainey
A great idea for a kid's book, but a huge let-down on plot.
Alexander Adamson
I is a nice book. Quick read but with your time.
Lacey
Lacey added it
Jul 20, 2014
Sheena
Sheena marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Boy Who Wouldn't Share The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln Merry Un-Christmas How Murray Saved Christmas Late for School