Start by marking “July and August: A Novel” as Want to Read:
July and August: A Novel

July and August: A Novel

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A funny, bittersweet, and wonderfully peopled family saga from the acclaimed author of The Hills at Home, and a fitting farewell to the Hill clan. Great-aunt Lily's pile of a house in Towne, Massachusetts, is once again the gathering place for her far-flung grandnieces and grandnephews. As always, their arrival brings a high summer of comedy and drama. While Lily struggles ...more
Published July 14th 2009 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about July and August, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about July and August

"Now, in the booth at the back of the Casa di Napoli, Julie slid onto the bench beside Sally, who had wanted to sprawl over her own side of the table without having to share with anyone, and she slithered underneath and surfaced next to Cam to ensure that Cam would not get her own side either." (243)

"Up in the gallery, Sally and Cam admired the gold-leaf star shapes arranged in the configurations of constellations spread across the cobalt blue field of the arching dome. They were on their way to
Danielle
This is the book one of my book clubs was reading for November. The story revolves around an extended family who all seem to descend upon the remaining family matriarch, a spinster aunt named Lily, for the months of July and August. The setting is a small town in Massachusetts named Towne. Some of the characters do actually live in Towne, but the majority of them seem to have some reason to come visit and then some seemingly contrived reason about why they can spend 2 months sitting around this ...more
Alison
We read this for one of my bookclubs. On the surface it sounded interesting enough -- a family reunites in the summer on the North Shore of Massachusetts. But right away it started annoying me. The author chose to use a fake town name: "Towne." Yes, that is an entirely proper name to make up for a fictitious, schmancy, oldoldold Massachusetts town, but it's also the easy way out, I thought. So you have a fake town, but she refers to other places in Massachusetts, including neighboring towns, by ...more
Pam Masters
This novel starts off a little out of the norm, as there is a list of characters at the beginning-not something most people are used to seeing. But as I read the story, I found myself turning back to the list to make sure I had things right in my head.

As someone who comes from a close family, I understand what the Hill family is all about. It seems as though a couple of people all but ordered the family to their Aunt Lily's house for the summer. It turns out that the family was coming together f
Kelly
Note: this book serves as a sort of sequel to Clark's earlier novel The Hills At Home. Although July and August stands on its own, I personally think a reader's experience and appreciation of it will be greatly augmented by reading The Hills At Home first.
Julie
Nancy Clark has a beautiful way with words and I found myself drawn in by her impressive use of language. Some may find this book slow to develop, but I think she hearkens back to an older style of writing that allows readers to savor a sentence rather than race along with the plot. She is gentle with her characters, exposing their foibles in a human yet humorous way. I found myself drawn to Harvey and Petal in particular as being lovable despite themselves. The children (Cam and Sally) are espe ...more
Michelle
Could not get into this book even the first chapter,,, mat try again later
Renee Bush
I loved reading this book, so much so, that I am getting Nancy Clark's previous two books ASAP. (Side-Plug here for public library summer reading programs; I picked this up because I signed up for ours, and I am SO GLAD I DID!) This is not my usual genre, being an avid mystery fan, but how glad I am that I thought "outside the loop" for once!
I hope there is a sequel, as I want to know what happens to several of Ms. Clark's characters, but particularly, CAM. :-)
Suzanne
The book was about a family coming back for the summer to the aunt's house they spent their childhood summers. The family is filled with lots of characters, some eccentric! The family members have normal issues and crisis- one is sick, one is getting married, two are internet millionaires. It makes for an interesting summer!
Chris
Dear People Who Decided To Give This Book Low Ratings Even Though You Only Read A Small Part of It: You missed out on a wry, compassionate and insightful book.
Mary Kay
Lovely story that takes place one summer in Towne, MA. We meet a variety of relatives of Lily, the resident of an old house in Towne, who has started a successful vegetable stand,as well as various townspeople. There're a seriously ill woman, two delightful children, a prospective bride, & many more.
Jackye
Tried to read this book and couldn't make it very far. It is so complicated that there is a list of 1 1/2 pages of who the characters are in the book. Did not finish, but putting it on my list so I don't try to check it out again from the library.
Aileen
I was disappointed in this book. I really liked the Hills at Home and got the next one that was just purchased at the library. It was a slow start. I liked the end, but feel like we didn't get to learn a lot about most of the characters this time.
Jen
I was pretty underwhelmed by this book. There was a lot of description but not quite enough character development. Questions were asked and mulled upon but then never really answered. It was ok but didn't live up to the premise for me.
Kaye-lynn
I should have known when this book had a list of 32 characters and their descriptions right at the start. I abandoned this book after reading about 1/4th of it. Characters are too shallow and the story line is not cohesive.
Andrea
A little slow for me & had some unanswered questions that bothered me. Still, if you enjoy leisurely-paced family novels about a bunch of WASP-y Yankees getting together for one last family reunion, you might give this a try.
Lauren
Really slooooooooow to get started.

Not the train wreck bore of Away from Home but less effervescent than The Hills at Home. July and August has lots of charm and humor but it really needed a good editor.
JayeL
This was by no means a terrible book. I actually think that I may go back to it at some point. The story just didn't grab me and I drifted off to read other things.
Kim
I loved the story premise. The writing style was not my favorite; it is a bit old fashioned, and yet, it fits the tone of the book. It was a nice read
Dee
I would give it ten stars if I could I absolutely loved the delicate, understated story that truly packed enormous punches. Lovely book.
Amy
Lovely story about an extended family and their friends set near my home town of Rockport.
Elsie
Not tied up quite the way I like.
Mandy
Better than the other one.
Noel
Noel marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Aoife
Aoife marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook The Hills at Home: A Novel Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners: Tips for Everyday Champions A Way from Home: A Novel Nancy Clark's Food Guide for New Runners: Getting It Right from the Start