Start by marking “Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery, #5)

Forsaken Soul (Medieval Mystery #5)

The summer of 1273 is peaceful for most of Englandaexcept in the village of Tyndal where Martin the cooper has been poisoned at the local inn. Could the murderer be his usual whore who is about to be tossed aside for another woman? Or the innkeeperas niece with secret reasons for fearing him? Perhaps the blacksmith did it, a man whose temper might have exploded when he was ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Forsaken Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forsaken Soul

Ken Kugler
Dec 30, 2012 Ken Kugler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forsaken Soul, by Priscilla Royall, is the continuing story of the Prioress Eleanor of Tyndal Priory and the monk, Thomas. There are many characters that are used in all the stories but they are central to all the stories.
Crowner Ralf has returned with a new baby daughter whose mother had died with her birth. There is also the anchoress, who is scaring many by meeting with visitors at her window at night. These two have upset many and then there is the murder of Martin the Cooper, while at the
Doris
Jan 27, 2010 Doris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was set in the 13th century (1273) in a priory and the local township. It dealt primarily with the prioress and the doomed characters, and although I would have liked a broader view, it was overall a pretty good read. I would have liked to have a little more thoughts about the history of the characters, but since this is apparently not the first in the series, that may explain the lack of background.

The characters are interesting, but since I don't have their background, they seemed a
Gretchen
Maybe I waited too long between books but I felt like I missed something the whole time I was reading. (view spoiler) ...more
Cheryl
Feb 17, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I really liked this and only wished I'd been able to read the first four. (This was the audio version and the narrator did a great job!) I'm not completely sure who the "detective" was in this because it seemed as if there was a collective of people in the town all investigating the mysterious poisonings. The mystery was well plotted and the characters were engaging. There was amazing historical detail in this that was fascinating and if I hadn't been driving while listening I would have been se ...more
Barb Moore
The characters are engaging, if not always likeable, and the depiction of medieval England is very well done. I particularly appreciate the recognition that the majority truly believed in the church's teachings that women were inferior, and that the author doesn't put anachronistic feminist views into her characters' heads. To pretend that those prejudices didn't prevail, to me, is to pretend that there was no need to fight for any changes. The crime's solution was fairly obvious, but the story ...more
Diana Herrera
I figured out the culprit very early on, which was kind of disappointing. It's extremely obvious. Great group of characters, though, so I'll be moving on to the next book in the series.
Bonnie
Sep 14, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story of this mystery was well developed and most of the setting seemed pretty believable, not that I know much about that time beyond fiction, but the presentation of the populace as firm believers in Christianity seemed a little to complete to be true. They seemed to be all pretty well brainwashed, which I doubt was the case, human nature being what it is. The main character has her obvious failings, but even these are presented within an absolute faith in the current interpretations of th ...more
Denise
Oct 08, 2012 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, audible
I think I would have enjoyed this book more if I had realized it was part of a series. This was number five - I believe. The story was good but I was missing elements most likely supplied in the previous books. The characters are very much into their own religious and often tormented thoughts. This reader was unable to care about any of them in a relatable way. However the writing is good and tbe narrator of this audio book was very pleasing.
Deborah Bogen
Nov 19, 2014 Deborah Bogen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read on village life.

Royal has created a believable medieval village and gives us a picture of the contradictions and queries that religious teaching at the time might have prompted in the minds of the more thoughtful. If you enjoy a mystery be warned that guilty party is evident early on. Nevertheless the psychology of those near the dire murders is interesting.
Debbi
May 08, 2016 Debbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this author, who publishes under a couple of non de plume's, but this book had a little too much soul searching and seeking answers from God in it for me. Ok, it is about an abbess who solves mysteries, but I like it better when she's not so self doubting. If that kind of thing doesn't bother you, read this book. If it does, try one of her others!
ReadHowYouWant
Dec 28, 2009 ReadHowYouWant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in the summer of 1273, Royal’s fifth historical finds Prioress Eleanor of Tyndal beset by various problems, including the death of a friend and her attraction to a monk. The Midwest Book Review stated, “The latest Priscilla Royal medieval mystery…is a clever historical whodunit that uses vivid background to enhance an engaging investigation.”
William
Dec 29, 2013 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book did not grab me - it was a struggle to finish it. If it had been longer, I probably would have quit before I got to the end. Even though I had read the previous three books in the series, I felt like I didn't know any of the main characters.
Cece
I'd rather give this 3.5 stars. The characters continue to grow and develop in this series, but it is the second in which the solution of the mystery is through sudden intuition-getting a little samey.
Caroline Hodge
Knew the murdered from about Chapter 2. Don't mind the series for being fairly fluffy historical whodunnits, but you spend most of the book thinking the characters are idiots/wilfully ignoring the people they should be questioning.
Kirsten
The constant questioning of their souls is getting kinda boring...the mystery is good, but the actual investigation by Thomas & Eleanor is pretty shallow. Crowner Ralf takes more of the center stage in this.
Veronica
Jan 30, 2012 Veronica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't enjoy this book althought the plot was quite good. I found the flowerly language especially in the dialogue was too much more so when the uneducated are speaking. Also too much "Satan" as the blame for all evils.
Cel Jel
Feb 01, 2013 Cel Jel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read.
Christine Francis
Why do i continue to read this series?? They are grim & i find almost all the characters annoying and unrelateable.
Stephanie Jewett
The mystery wasn't so mysterious (I guessed who the murderer was pretty quick) but the medieval setting intrigues me. I will read more of this series.
Neil Thomas
Mar 16, 2014 Neil Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy

am a total fan of this series of books and will
continue to read as long as she writes

recommend
Susan Corcoran
Another highly enjoyable book by Priscilla Royal. Very readable and I will continue to read the rest in the series.
Shirley
Aug 28, 2010 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Excellent mystery. Very well done.
John Hanscom
Dec 14, 2011 John Hanscom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe even 4 1/2. The best in the series so far.
Daniel
Apr 23, 2009 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another slow one to start but I'm still near the beginning.
Jane
Jan 05, 2013 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh-oh, this series is beginning to plod a bit. Back to something less repetitive.
Joy
May 17, 2013 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read.
Michael
Sep 20, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good series. I'm catching on to the formula. I wish that the characters showed more variety in their dialogue. The prioress, priest, crowned, barmaid, and who're all have the same voice.
Barb in Maryland
Nov 07, 2008 Barb in Maryland rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Once again, I found that I no longer cared about the characters, which is never a good thing.
Lynne
Apparently, this book is the fifth in a series. I think that I would have enjoyed it far more had I realized that at the onset. I don't think that it works terribly well as a stand-alone book.
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Cup of Blood (Crispin Guest #7)
  • The Weaver's Inheritance (Roger the Chapman, #8)
  • Liars and Thieves
  • The Reeve's Tale (Sister Frevisse #9)
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • King Arthur's Bones (The Medieval Murderers, #5)
  • The Seventh Trumpet (Sister Fidelma, #23)
  • The Song of the Nightingale (Hawkenlye Mysteries #14)
  • Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)
  • Death in St James's Park (Thomas Chaloner, #8)
  • Falconer's Crusade (William Falconer, #1)
  • India Black in the City of Light (Madam of Espionage, #3.5)
Priscilla has a degree in world literature from San Francisco State University, where she discovered the beauty of medieval literature. She is a theater fan as well as reader of history, mysteries, and fiction of lesser violence. She lives in Northern California and belongs to the California Writers Club and Sisters in Crime.
More about Priscilla Royal...

Medieval Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Justice for the Damned (Medieval Mystery, #4)
  • Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)
  • Valley of Dry Bones (Medieval Mystery, #7)
  • A Killing Season (Medieval Mystery, #8)
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Covenant with Hell  (Medieval Mystery, #10)
  • Satan's Lullaby (Medieval Mystery, #11)