Start by marking “Retraining the Brain: A 45-Day Plan to Conquer Stress and Anxiety” as Want to Read:
Retraining the Brain: A 45-Day Plan to Conquer Stress and Anxiety

Retraining the Brain: A 45-Day Plan to Conquer Stress and Anxiety

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Stress relief that works from the New York Times bestselling author of The ADD Answer and the chief content advisor for the Dr. Phil show

With his bestselling books, Frank Lawlis has brought psychological relief to millions. In his latest book, he addresses one of the most common challenges of everyday life - dealing with stress and anxiety.

In Retraining the Brain, Dr. Law
Published September 29th 2009 by Plume (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Retraining the Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retraining the Brain

Deodand
Jul 28, 2014 Deodand rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, usa
This is a good introduction for someone who hasn't investigated this self-help genre before. There wasn't any new information here for me, perhaps because Lawlis's book has been summarized so many times on television. It did serve to remind me of the power of music to relieve anxiety symptoms.
Valerie Snow
Jan 23, 2014 Valerie Snow rated it it was ok
This book could have been condensed to an article. He keeps repeating the same information over and over in different ways and different contexts. Good information, just not really enough to make reading a book worthwhile.
Veryvera
Jan 12, 2010 Veryvera rated it liked it
saw him on dr. phil and was interested. concepts are understandable but not all chapters apply
Michelle
Jul 03, 2013 Michelle rated it did not like it
Incorrect data in this book. For example, motor function occurs in frontal lobe (specifically pre central gyrus - primary motor cortex), not parietal lobe.
Okay book if you are unfamiliar with anxiety, depression etc. If you are more than familiar with your symptoms and possible solutions, this book doesn't offer much new.
Also, too broad. It addresses disorders ranging from anxiety to depression and from ADHD to obsessive compulsive. Although there is co-morbidity between these disorders, not e
Krista
Sep 13, 2013 Krista rated it it was amazing
In my opinion Mr. Lawlis did a great job with this self-help book. There is a lot of interesting information in it that shows us how the brain can be rewired and your thought processes can be changed. Granted the book does cover many different topics ranging from stress overload to OCD and PTSD. There are exercises at the end of the book that I think are helpful and a great addition to the book. It is a good book to read if you are truly wanting to retrain your brains way of thinking. It is not ...more
Susannah
Feb 13, 2014 Susannah rated it liked it
Very interesting. Lots to think about --- lots here to affirm what I've known for some time. Thanks Dr. Lawlis.
Lindsay
Feb 28, 2011 Lindsay rated it liked it
I sat next to this man on a plane, and not only was he incredibly nice, he is clearly very bright and accomplished. Dr. Phil was his student, and they continue to work together. I asked him if he'd written any books, and he answered, "yes. 12."
So I'd like to check them out, although since I don't have a child with ADD I'm not so interested in those...
Ruth Hamilton
Feb 07, 2012 Ruth Hamilton rated it really liked it
This book is easy to read and offers techniques for controlling stress that everyone can use.
Chris
Jul 22, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A clinically-written book about reducing stress and finding greater peace.
Janice
Apr 06, 2013 Janice rated it liked it
Reading this with a friend, as we learn to better control our stress!
Amanda Hewton
Amanda Hewton marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
teresa
teresa rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Heather Deaton
Heather Deaton rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Michael Richardson
Michael Richardson rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Jenineetchyahoo.Com
Jenineetchyahoo.Com rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
PAIGE THOMAS
PAIGE THOMAS marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Katey Smith
Katey Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Jennifer Karna
Jennifer Karna is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2016
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Julia Fraser
Julia Fraser marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook: Proven Techniques for Overcoming Your Fears
  • 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food
  • Elements of Argument: A Text and Reader
  • The Courage to Be Free: Discover Your Original Fearless Self
  • The Power of Birthdays, Stars & Numbers: The Complete Personology Reference Guide
  • Breaking the News: How the Media Undermine American Democracy
  • The Money Men: Capitalism, Democracy, and the Hundred Years' War Over the American Dollar
  • True Prep: It's a Whole New Old World
  • The Scholastic Rhyming Dictionary
  • Buck Up, Suck Up . . . and Come Back When You Foul Up: 12 Winning Secrets from the War Room
  • Now, Let Me Tell You What I Really Think
  • Man Up!: 367 Classic Skills for the Modern Guy
  • Tip O'Neill and the Democratic Century
  • How to Be a Star
  • Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days
  • Dating for Dummies
  • Essential Clinical Anatomy
  • A National Party No More: The Conscience of a Conservative Democrat
Dr. Lawlis has focused on clinical and research methods of the mind-body relationship since 1968 when he received his Ph.D. in Psychology with an emphasis in medical psychology and rehabilitation. He was awarded the Diplomate (A.B.P.P.) in both Counseling Psychology and Clinical Psychology. He also received the status of Fellow from the American Psychological Association for his scientific contrib ...more
More about Frank Lawlis...