Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad

Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,227 ratings  ·  119 reviews
Not since Kliban has there been a cat book this edgy. Edgy as in Bosco, the demonic Siamese with the out-of-focus eyes, razor-sharp fangs, and his own idea of Feng Shui. Or the half-shaved freak named Mr. Fliegel, who looks like a cross between a poodle and a lion. Mr. Fliegel shrugs and says, "Chicks dig me." Or Kato, resplendent in his Three Musketeers outfit: "One for a...more
Published October 15th 2004 by Workman Publishing Company (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Cat

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Great "Cat" Books
62nd out of 887 books — 405 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
68th out of 574 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Steven Peterson
What a cute volume! A simple premise: photos of cats, a caption, and information on the cat--name, age, hobby.

One illustrative caption: "I told you--nobody wants to hear Billy Joel." The photo is of a cat on a piano's keyboard. Stacey, the cat, is 10 years old and has the hobby of compulsive cleaning around the litter box.

From that one example, it's clear that this will enchant cat people and, perhaps, leave those who are not enthralled by cats somewhat less bewitched!

Another cat, Jerry G, (one...more
Christyn
Overall, I enjoyed it. Full of cat pictures, captions and a short Bio about the cat (name, age, hobby) it was a quick, pleasant read. I will admit I wish there were a bit more truly funny pictures (a great deal of them were just mildly amusing - there were quite a few of just the 'dirty looks', 'fangs' and 'cats in costume'). However there were some really great pictures with captions that often made them even better, enough to make me laugh and smile. Some captions were dirty, so not for the ov...more
Read2review
** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

As I mentioned in a previous review anything cat related is a must for me. I found Bad Cat in Hawkins Bazaar (a joke shop in the UK). I flicked through the book in the shop and knew I had to get it.

Each page is a picture of a different cat in a different pose with a little biography for that cat, Name, Age and Hobby. There is also a caption for each picture. Some of the pictures are hilarious and made me laugh out loud; some of them...more
Alissa Bach
At my house, I've always got a few stacks of "conversation starter" books sitting around, and this one is on the top of the list. I bought it several years earlier, right after it came out, and had read the whole thing before I even got to the bookstore checkout counter...with tears streaming down my cheeks from laughing so hard. To this day, I never tire of this book. The humor of it has not lessened.

Yes, I'm a sucker for animal humor. Especially when cats are involved. And this book captures...more
Kewpie
I honestly don't know if people started uploading pics from this book or this author just published the most popular cat pictures circulating on the web at the time. But I have seen ALL of these pictures online.. several times.

Of course, being a regular voter on kittenwar.com and also look at icanhascheezburger.com daily -- maybe I look at too many cat pictures.

This book would have gotten one star if I didn't already love these pics the first time I saw them. I don't know if I'm upset that the...more
Gerry
The warning on the cover states 'may contain offensive feline material'; readers take note because it does!

It is amazing how the cats within these covers have got into the positions in which they have been photographed. Some of them look demonic, some are getting into all sorts of scrapes, some are dressed up and others just have that disenchanted look on their faces.

All are portrayed with a suitable naughty comment, have their name, age and one of their supposed hobbies! All in all in makes for...more
Tanya
Bad Cat is a book of pictures that were submitted for publication in the cat-a-day calendars and didn't make the cut. This book is hilarious! I laughed or smiled most at most of the pictures.
Each photo is accompanied by a "profile" with the name, age and hobby of the cat, such as "Gary, Age: 9, Hobbies: Racing back and forth in the upstairs hall." Not all of them were funny but, in my opinion, at least 3/4s of them were. A few of the photos have swear words or suggestive language, so it's not...more
Eva Leger
There were a few really great pictures in here but the majority were kind of blah. I don't know who chose the cover pic and why but there were a few much better ones included inside. I thought so anyway.
It's a quick little book that will have you laughing a few times.
J.D. Stroube
I'm not really sure how to write a review for this type of book. However, I will say that this is an hilarious book. If you like cats, and realize just how funny they can be sometimes...you should pick this up. Also, it is great "bathroom" reading material. LOL
Ashley
The quick-and-dirty review, for your browsing pleasure:

GOOD CAT

- Great pictures. Man, are they great. And the one-liners just make it better.

- Solid design. If you're a very visual person, congrats! You've found a book you'll like.

- Re-readable. You'll browse it when you're bummed. And it's destined for your youthful, haven't-had-kids-yet coffee table. Your irreverent friends'll love it.

- The pictures again...they kill me. Just kill me dead, every time.

- Instead of spending too much time trying...more
Sarah Sammis
The book has 244 full color photographs, each one with a caption, the cat's name, age and hobby (if any). The photographs were done by amateurs and are often times low quality. Many are staged but it's the captions that make the book so funny. There are enough funny photographs to have me laughing out loud every few pages.

Any regular reader of this site will know that I am a cat person. Caligula, my cat for the last eleven years has her rebellious moments and can nap on anything in any position....more
Alyssa Thomas
This book was decent. This didn't have me laughing at all. It was cute pictures some of it but it mainly wasn't what I thought it'd be. I thought it'd be super cute pictures of cats doing silly things this came off...almost as a failed attempt at comedy or anything enjoyable.

That being said. I loved looking at anything 'cat related'.
Kaethe
Probably I shouldn't be encouraging this sort of thing: blogs-made-into-books. No doubt publishers are sufficiently keen on the idea. But as someone who enjoys looking at photos of cats with amusing captions online, I also enjoy looking at photos of cats in printed form. And I like giving them to the cat-lovers in my life, on gift-giving occasions. Yeah, I love Cake Wrecks, too.
Marie
So basically I grabbed this book at the thrift store because cats. I'm a cat person.
But I was rather disappointed. I wanted cute cats, but they're pretty boring/average pictures with captions that were rather hit or miss on the funny scale and mostly didn't match up with the picture very well.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Received this as a gift. Although the authors did insert too many weird yawny faces (resulting in a Batman's Joker-like face) for a quick, cheap joke implying the "bad cat" is insane, rather than coming up with more variety, I did literally laugh out loud at several of the photos/captions. Mostly the "bio" sections with name/age/hobby were a little silly, unless the hobby directly related to the photo/caption. But it was still pretty cute. The binding was stiff and was already cracked down the m...more
Claire
We set this out at a book fair - one of the moms was reluctant to have it on the tables until she read it. I will never forget seeing her literally on the floor laughing uncontrollably. Hilarious book.
Jennie
Jan 15, 2008 Jennie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennie by: the Boy
Shelves: humor
My fiance got me this book because my former cat is Satan. (He's not dead, but I didn't take him with me when I moved 500 miles away, so he belongs to my parents now.) And yes, my cat would be right at home in this book. The pictures are funny and a little disturbing, but what puts it over the top are the snarky comments. I like cats, but I'm a sucker for snark. This book is perfect for those days when you want to punch babies in the face because you're sick of cute things. After a few pages the...more
Eyehavenofilter
What dark secrets is your cat hiding? Bad habits, bad manners, and a penchant for false pretenses, that's what!
That furry covered demon child you think is your pet, is out to get you. This will "out" them all. They can't hide anymore. These little spawns of satan that you feed and cuddle every day are peeing, barfing, taking your prescription drugs, driving your cars, overdosing on catnip, and well, you know what else...where ever and whenever they want to, just to drive you crazy.
This book is...more
Carri
Hilarious! My babies could probably identify with the majority of these cats!
Leonardo
Mar 05, 2012 Leonardo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers
Recommended to Leonardo by: Cecilia
Aunque I Can Haz Cheezburger y demás sitios de memes dedicados a gatos y otros motivos parecerían hacer irrelevantes y prehistóricos libros como éste, lo cierto es que "Gatos malos" es una excelente antología de retratos de felinos y frases hilarantes que no requiere prender un dispositivo electrónico y una conexión a internet para disfrutarlos (además, incluso ICHC ha publicado antologías de sus propios felinos). Así que a disfrutar de fotos de gatos (más o menos molestos con sus humanos) y las...more
Tiffany
Slightly cute bathroom flip through pocket picture book.
Chelsea Gammon
An absolute hilarious must for cat lovers, especially those prone to browsing the web for funny cat pictures.

Bad Cat is full of aptly captioned snapshots of cats being themselves, encompassing a whole spectrum of the weird, the silly, the odd, the ugly, and the downright bizarre nature of cats.

Each funny photo has a (usually) equally entertaining caption, along with the cat's name, age, and a hobby, some of which are as comical as the photos.

I'd definitely recommend this if you need a quick lau...more
Trin
Sep 15, 2008 Trin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
The wide availability of stupid cat pictures is one of the best things about the interwebs. Unfortunately, it makes Edgar’s book of stupid cat pictures pretty much redundant. If his accompanying text were even half as funny as most of the stuff on I Can Has Cheezburger, I wouldn’t mind the redundancy, as I like having humorous content in book form. (I would buy an I Can Has Cheezburger book if there were one.) But it’s really, really not. Thus it’s not so much a case of DO NOT WANT as DO NOT NEE...more
Theresa Williams
i lovef it my chrissy did to
Nathan
Mar 13, 2014 Nathan added it
very funny
adult humor
Sean
This is a small, short, very silly and amusing coffee table book. Each page features a cat in positions ranging from cute and goofy to outrageous and bizarre with fictional stats (name, age, hobbies). For ailurophiles with a flair for the absurd, this book is an enjoyable one.
Amy

This book is comprised of 244 portraits of cute, albeit naughty felines with hilarious captions. Many of these cats resemble vampires, eery! Have you ever wondered what your cat is really thinking? You will surely get some ideas from this book as well as the website http://www.mycathatesyou.com, but Jim Edgar warns, "Kids, stay away! And all Homo sapiens beware." I highly recommend this book, a definite must-read for all cat lovers! Remember, you do not own your cat, your cat owns you.
Mckinley
Photos of cats with captions. Some clever, some funny, a wide variety.
Dannuel Saùl Delizo
a bathroom book ha! funny pics :-*
lAuRa
Um...yeah. So I just gave it three stars because I liked it, but REALLY liked it would be like putting it up there with the classics and stuff. So, yeah. I got this book from mom (I believe) back when I was staying at the hotel. I never really looked at it. Maybe because it was too painful with my two cats dying and all...

The book was pretty hilarious though. :)

Ugh. What a lame review. Sorry.
BAD CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ToTaLlY cRaZy! 2 7 Mar 24, 2012 07:54PM
  • I Am Maru
  • Regretsy: The World's Oddest, Most Ridiculous, and Most Disturbing Crafts
  • My Cat Spit McGee
  • Overheard in New York: Conversations from the Streets, Stores, and Subways
  • How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans, and More!!!
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations
  • Simon's Cat
  • They Call Me Naughty Lola: Personal Ads from the London Review of Books
  • Great Lies to Tell Small Kids
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis silvestris catus
  • Why Cats Paint: A theory of feline aesthetics
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • How to Live with a Neurotic Cat
My Cat Hates You Gatti bastardi Garth Kisah Petualangan Garth: Topeng Atacama Kisah Petualangan Garth: Aksi Wanita Galba