Deep Water

Deep Water (Castings #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Centuries ago, Acton and his people displaced the Travellers, the original inhabitants of the Eleven Domains. Now, Saker the enchanter is driven by this ancient rage. With the bones of his fallen ancestors and the blood from his own veins, he will raise armies of the dead to slake his revenge.

But what really happened when Acton came through DeathPass a millennium ago? To f...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Water

Liviu

Superb sequel to Blood Ties, Deep Water takes the trilogy to another level by delving in the mysteries of the richly imagined Eleven Domains.

We follow our heroes Ash, Martine, Bramble, Leof as well as seeing vignettes from occasional characters that add to the rich woven tapestry.

Bramble witnesses the past and the life of Acton, Ash needs to find his true image in the secret Deep that is open only to Traveler men and get the secret spells to help stop Saker, Martine follows Safred the prophet...more
Michael
My hopes for the second book of the trilogy were not disappointed. The characters are further developed and the story takes off, making the sequel more interesting than the first book. The format is still the same. Freeman alternatingly devotes each chapter to one of the main characters or tells the story of a shortly appearing supporting character. Besides Bramble, Ash, and Saker, the stonecaster Martine and the warlord's man Leof are now also main characters, widening the perspective of the pl...more
Marian
After about 1000 pages in this series, I must admit I got tired of all the side stories of everyone our main characters came in contact with-- Other than that I enjoyed the plot. Looking forward to the release of book three.
Karen Field
As a reader, I found that the first two books of the trilogy spoke to me. I enjoyed the characters, especially their depth, and I related to their stories. I also enjoyed finding out what made them tick by reading their “mini stories”. Often we accept traits of characters on face value, but the author of these books offered reasons and circumstances that made me feel sorry for even the nasty characters. As I said in my review of Blood Ties (Book 1), this trilogy is the best adult writing I’ve re...more
Jen
Volume 2 of the Casting trilogy has Bramble agreeing to go back in time to view the life and decisions of Acton and his men, so that she can counter the wicked Enchanter, Saker, who is raising ghosts to slaughter his descendants.

While she is engaged in this, Ash journeys to the Deep to meet his father and to discover the old songs, which may also help overthrow Saker. Martine and her band help protect Bramble while she is under the time spell and then journey to Foreverfroze to take ship to San...more
Ruth
c2008: For a second book of a presumed trilogy -this was really good. I did battle for the first paragraph or two until my memory started to activate. The pace was great and the characters of Ash (captures the essence of those who wish they could do things but overlook their own particular talent), Bramble (who is really kick ass in this book), Saker (evil knielvel) and Leof (think olf fashioned loyalty and chivalry) develop even further. I love the plot device of random POVs that help with the...more
Lighthearted
The Eleven Domains is a land haunted by its past—literally. Ghosts are everywhere although most people only see them on the day of their Quickening. That is changing—Saker is raising ghosts from the distant past and giving them substance—as well as purpose.

Having come together at the end of Blood Ties, Bramble and Ash now part ways—Bramble to look for Acton’s burial place and Ash to learn the secret songs. If the Well of Secrets is correct, both are needed if Saker is to be stopped.

I cannot put...more
Deborah
excellent! not always easy to sustain a reader's interest and keep the story gripping through the middle volume of a trilogy, but this worked brilliantly for me, with several familiar (and some new) characters' stories interwoven, as in the first book, plus Bramble undergoing an involuntary journey through the minds (and bodies) of people from what to her is the distant past.
rich, complex and beautifully woven.
Jackie
Just as good as the first book.
I liked the inventive way the author had us learn about Acton's life, an important figure who died 1000 years ago. Again, the different POV, enriching the story in a first person setting.
The quest, the magic, the stonecasting...impressive. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Being left in the middle of the store, I'll continue immediately with Full Circle.
I'm anxious to get started...
Craig
Very fine second book in the series. More plot driven than the first, but still has a number of small vignettes of passing characters. Seems like fewer than the first though, although some of that is replaced by another device the author uses (not gonna spoil it :) ). Guess the world is mostly built by now, although actually there *were* surprises that way throughout even this second book. Very well done.
Kate
These books just keep getting better. Solid world-building, excellent characterisation, an intriguing plot; there is nothing here not to love. I especially like the way that even "walk-on" characters get to have their say here, I think it gives the books a depth that is lacking in a lot of modern fantasy fiction.

Keep up the good work, Pamela Freeman!
Penelope
Jun 21, 2009 Penelope rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good fantasy novel.
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
I loved the first book in this series and the second was not a disappointment. I was heartbroken to leave the characters behind when I finished the book and just can't wait until book 3 comes out later this year. I well written, heartfelt story which enfolds you a world you don't want to leave. Simply wonderful
Kate Forsyth
I'm just loving Pamela Freeman's fantasy series so far! Book 1 was absolutely brilliant - so beautifully written and very fresh & unusual in its structure and focus on the stories behind even the most minor character. Book 2 is a little slower but still filled with light and brilliance. Loving it!
jD
Pamela Freeman is very creative and the world she has built is "Fellowship of the Rings" good. Can't wait for the final installment although I do not think it will turn out well for the main characters. The way things are going, they are all going to die or come very close.
Rachel Toh
Apr 14, 2013 Rachel Toh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who love fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
See my review on the first book.

As a second book, good enough filler. I did feel the minor character stories a little choresome in this one though. Regardless, could not stop reading, finished the book in a day.
Christopher Bashforth
Usually middle books of Trilogys are weak but this was a superb read. I really liked the looking through of a character by another character events that happened thousands of years in the past.
Sasha
Great high fantasy with an unusual world. Includes some unusual character sketches and a pretty hard look (for a fantasy book) at the relationship between a conquered people and their conquerors.
Annji
Second in The Castings Trilogy. Thoroughly enjoyable but it loses a star for overdependence on a tiresome narrative device.
Toks (at GalacticTidesx)
Second book curse. Definitely a better "bridge" book than most, and still very enjoyable. I still have issues with pacing.
Megan
I might do a review later, but all you need to know is that these books are amazing.
Sue
continues the story with enough complexity to keep me interested - wishing the 3rd one was already available
Aaron
More three and a half... Just not as good as the first book in the series, but still enjoyable!
Sandie
...kind of dragged a bit in the middle of the trilogy
Ethan James Clarke
Ethan James Clarke marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Sid
Sid added it
Sep 11, 2014
Holly Lindemann
Holly Lindemann marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Yesbir Singh
Yesbir Singh marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Maeghan
Maeghan marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • The Steerswoman's Road
  • Nightfall Gardens (Nightfall Gardens, #1)
  • The Ascendancy Veil (Braided Path, #3)
  • Shadow Falling (Avatars, #2)
  • The Iron Tree (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #1)
  • Crown of Renewal (Paladin's Legacy, #5)
  • Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)
  • Nightshade City (Nightshade Chronicles, #1)
  • City of Jade: A Novel of Mithgar
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • Cold Steel (Spiritwalker, #3)
  • Nightshade (Arravan, #1)
  • Debatable Space
  • Decrypted (Encrypted, #2)
Pamela Freeman is an Australian author of books for both adults and children. Most of her work is fantasy but she has also written mystery stories, science fiction, family dramas and non-fiction. Her first adult series, the Castings Trilogy (Blood Ties, Deep Water and Full Circle) is published globally by Orbit books. She is best known in Australia for the junior novel Victor’s Quest and an associ...more
More about Pamela Freeman...
Blood Ties (Castings, #1) The Castings Trilogy (Castings, #1-3) Full Circle (Castings, #3) Ember and Ash The Black Dress: Mary Mackillop's Early Years