Start by marking “The First Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul” as Want to Read:
The First Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul

The First Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  16 reviews
What was it like to be an ordinary Christian in the beginning decades of the Roman Empire? In this absorbing and authoritative book, Meeks analyzes the earliest extant documents of Christianity--the letters of Paul--to describe the tensions and the texture of life of the first urban Christians.
Paperback, Second Edition, 320 pages
Published February 8th 2003 by Yale University Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The First Urban Christians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Urban Christians

Brett
Oct 18, 2007 Brett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody who is studying Paul, his letters, his theology
Awesome book. It is early '80's. So it doesn't seem that novel now, but it was a turning point in Pauline and biblical scholarship as he was one of the pioneers of the social-critical approach. It is a must read for anybody reading Paul.

I was particularly fascinated his first chapter about urban life at the time.
Tsun Lu
REVIEW AND CRITIQUE Meeks, Wayne A. The First Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul. New Haven: Yale, 1983.

In The First Urban Christians Meeks offered a ground-breaking social history model of explaining the growth of the Pauline-Christian movement, studying the sociological conditions (urban lives, social classes, rituals and household conventions) of the ordinary Pauline Christians in the Greco-Roman environment.

The distinctive orientation of Meek’s study is to “describe” th
Dan Lacich
Very insightful look at early Christianity. Meeks tends to take the most liberal and skeptical of views on dating New Testament books as well as questions of authorship. This impacts how he interprets certain events but is not a reason to reject the basic work.
Bruce Morton
Wayne Meeks provides much helpful information regarding the first century world. The weakness in the study (even the revised version) shows up in the almost complete lack of attention he gives to the powerful ancient mystery religions such as the Artemis and Dionysus cults. The omissions seriously weaken some of his conclusions.
Gretchen
I started out excited by the title, thinking I'd get some insight into Paul's world. Well. I did, but it was work. Dry read. Really more of a research paper feel. Really felt like I was back in college and HAD to read it for the class. Nothing compelling about it for me. (Maybe I'm not intellectual enough...)
Brent Wilson
This book has been influential among New Testament scholars - helping to open up new ways to understand Paul's ministry. My personal response though was - a little too academic and not direct enough for my interests.
I read it all, but it was somewhat tedious compared to works aimed more at lay readers.
Brian
I'm very curious about the few hundred years of Christianity. This is four stars and not five because I'm not expert enough to evaluate it, but I certainly enjoyed it and found it informative. I don't know what group is the contemporary counterpart to the very early church -- the holiness churches?
Nicholas Ahern
Absorbing, center/left, and ultimately compelling overview of the early Christians within the Pauline communities. He tends to have a rather dim view of Paul (one I don't share) but this book, when taken after a pinch of salt, is illuminating.
Chantee
One of the most interesting books on the early Christian/Pauline community I have ever read. The roles of urban ecology and "low-status crystallization" are particularly thought-provoking so I recommend this book without hesitation.
jon
Very meaningful content. A better reference work, imho, than a left to right read--too dense even for this academic. It was groundbreaking sociological work at the time and warrants its voice in pauline study.
Jason
As a standard in the field, it is a worthwhile read. Full of useful information. Meeks' approach, however, necessitates that a grain of salt (read: healthy skepticism)be applied to his evaluations.
Marcelo
Wonderful scholarship on the first century church by Yale's Wayne A. Meeks. It is difficult reading, but if the scholastic style can be deciphered, it is nothing short of enlightening.
Jocelyn
Classic work on the types of social organization reflected in the Pauline epistles. I'm embarrassed that I never read it until now.
Anna Ellis
Really interesting, full of lots of information. Presented as a thesis, tough, not a book you would just volunteer to read.
Irene
Good overview of the social context of the communities that would have made up the first generation of Christians.
John
An outstanding, detailed social history of the eastern Mediterranean in the New Testament period.
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Hend
Hend marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Eugene
Eugene marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Tylor Standley
Tylor Standley is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2015
Matthew Crowe
Matthew Crowe marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Echoes of Scripture in the Letters of Paul
  • English Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • The Theology of Paul the Apostle
  • New Testament History
  • Dictionary of Paul and His Letters: A Compendium of Contempoary Biblical Scholarship
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • The Cult of the Saints: Its Rise and Function in Latin Christianity
  • Paul: A Very Short Introduction
  • A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus. Volume One, The Roots of the Problem and the Person (The Anchor Bible Reference Library)
  • The Christian Tradition 1: The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition 100-600
  • Paul and the Faithfulness of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #4)
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • Pagans and Christians
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • Backgrounds of Early Christianity
  • Early Christian Doctrines
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek
The HarperCollins Study Bible : New Revised Standard Version With the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books The Origins of Christian Morality: The First Two Centuries Writings of St. Paul (Norton Critical Edition) The Moral World of the First Christians Christ Is the Question