The First Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul

The First Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  16 reviews
What was it like to be an ordinary Christian in the beginning decades of the Roman Empire? In this absorbing and authoritative book, Meeks analyzes the earliest extant documents of Christianity--the letters of Paul--to describe the tensions and the texture of life of the first urban Christians.
Paperback, Second Edition, 320 pages
Published February 8th 2003 by Yale University Press (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The First Urban Christians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Urban Christians

Brett
Oct 18, 2007 Brett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody who is studying Paul, his letters, his theology
Awesome book. It is early '80's. So it doesn't seem that novel now, but it was a turning point in Pauline and biblical scholarship as he was one of the pioneers of the social-critical approach. It is a must read for anybody reading Paul.

I was particularly fascinated his first chapter about urban life at the time.
Tsun Lu
REVIEW AND CRITIQUE Meeks, Wayne A. The First Urban Christians: The Social World of the Apostle Paul. New Haven: Yale, 1983.

In The First Urban Christians Meeks offered a ground-breaking social history model of explaining the growth of the Pauline-Christian movement, studying the sociological conditions (urban lives, social classes, rituals and household conventions) of the ordinary Pauline Christians in the Greco-Roman environment.

The distinctive orientation of Meek’s study is to “describe” th...more
Dan Lacich
Very insightful look at early Christianity. Meeks tends to take the most liberal and skeptical of views on dating New Testament books as well as questions of authorship. This impacts how he interprets certain events but is not a reason to reject the basic work.
Bruce Morton
Wayne Meeks provides much helpful information regarding the first century world. The weakness in the study (even the revised version) shows up in the almost complete lack of attention he gives to the powerful ancient mystery religions such as the Artemis and Dionysus cults. The omissions seriously weaken some of his conclusions.
Gretchen
I started out excited by the title, thinking I'd get some insight into Paul's world. Well. I did, but it was work. Dry read. Really more of a research paper feel. Really felt like I was back in college and HAD to read it for the class. Nothing compelling about it for me. (Maybe I'm not intellectual enough...)
Brent Wilson
This book has been influential among New Testament scholars - helping to open up new ways to understand Paul's ministry. My personal response though was - a little too academic and not direct enough for my interests.
I read it all, but it was somewhat tedious compared to works aimed more at lay readers.
Brian
I'm very curious about the few hundred years of Christianity. This is four stars and not five because I'm not expert enough to evaluate it, but I certainly enjoyed it and found it informative. I don't know what group is the contemporary counterpart to the very early church -- the holiness churches?
Nicholas Ahern
Absorbing, center/left, and ultimately compelling overview of the early Christians within the Pauline communities. He tends to have a rather dim view of Paul (one I don't share) but this book, when taken after a pinch of salt, is illuminating.
Chantee
One of the most interesting books on the early Christian/Pauline community I have ever read. The roles of urban ecology and "low-status crystallization" are particularly thought-provoking so I recommend this book without hesitation.
jon
Very meaningful content. A better reference work, imho, than a left to right read--too dense even for this academic. It was groundbreaking sociological work at the time and warrants its voice in pauline study.
Jason
As a standard in the field, it is a worthwhile read. Full of useful information. Meeks' approach, however, necessitates that a grain of salt (read: healthy skepticism)be applied to his evaluations.
Marcelo
Wonderful scholarship on the first century church by Yale's Wayne A. Meeks. It is difficult reading, but if the scholastic style can be deciphered, it is nothing short of enlightening.
Jocelyn
Classic work on the types of social organization reflected in the Pauline epistles. I'm embarrassed that I never read it until now.
Anna Ellis
Really interesting, full of lots of information. Presented as a thesis, tough, not a book you would just volunteer to read.
Irene
Good overview of the social context of the communities that would have made up the first generation of Christians.
John
An outstanding, detailed social history of the eastern Mediterranean in the New Testament period.
Criezel
Criezel marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Donald
Donald added it
Aug 31, 2014
Rgauthie
Rgauthie marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Lalena
Lalena marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jared Bodner
Jared Bodner marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Micah Tedford
Micah Tedford marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
The HarperCollins Study Bible : New Revised Standard Version With the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books Writings of St. Paul (Norton Critical Edition) The Origins of Christian Morality: The First Two Centuries The Moral World of the First Christians Christ Is the Question