Start by marking “Urban Legends: 666 Absolutely True Stories That Happened to a Friend...of a Friend?of a Friend” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Combining Black Dog’s three very successful hardcover collections of “urban legends” (Alligators in the Sewer, The Baby on the Car Roof, and The Cat in the Dryer) into one stupendous volume, Urban Legends is the ultimate collection of those outlandish tales people love to share. With themes that run the gamut from funny to sick, risqué to informative, frightening to disgus ...more
Published March 14th 2005 by Black Dog & Leventhal (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Urban Legends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urban Legends

Kayleigh Offley
Aug 09, 2015 Kayleigh Offley rated it it was amazing
A great collection of urban legends, really enjoyable to read!
Gwyn
Jul 08, 2007 Gwyn rated it it was amazing
This book is really three of Thomas' books smooshed together. I was pretty disappointed when I got it because I had two of them already and was planning on using this as airport reading.

It's still a great read though. Fun, entertaining. It also isn't quick to debunk a story, this book gives you an idea where the story may have come from. Personally when I buy Urban Legend books I'm not looking for the author to tell me how stupid and wrong the story is. So this one is a really good read.
Vicky
Apr 02, 2011 Vicky rated it really liked it
I've got to admit, I really like this book. It's an easy read that always gives me a laugh everytime I pick it up, I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a giggle at some funny tales, and to anyone who is interested in urban legends, which really should be everyone. :)
Katherine Furman
Jul 09, 2007 Katherine Furman rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love urban legends? If you don't, we're not friends anymore. And really we probably never were b/c I don't associate with people like you. Anyway, this book quenches the thirst for bizarro stories you can't help but yell "No way!" when you hear them.
Kirsty
Feb 20, 2008 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this. It was interesting to read about the various stories that I've heard that are actually urban legends. It was also slightly scary how many of them I had believed!!!
Heather Colacurcio
Oct 05, 2009 Heather Colacurcio rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is one of the best collections of Urban Legends available in print. Comprehensive, funny and even scary, this book will have you sharing these creepy stories with your friends.
angrykitty
Dec 15, 2008 angrykitty rated it it was amazing
i am such a sucker for urban legends....these are nice and quick, and pretty well known. i mean, i recognized most of them, which was both good and bad....
Brittany Sturges
Nov 06, 2010 Brittany Sturges rated it it was ok
While urban legends are always fun, I was turned off by some of the repetitive urban legends. There were also a few typos that got by the editors.
Vince
Mar 11, 2010 Vince rated it it was amazing
just amazing i love ever story some very relistic others seem impossable but in the end all seem very relistic
♥Bree♥
Mar 17, 2008 ♥Bree♥ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Nayone who is looking to read a fun boook
This book is very interesting. some of the legends how ever, have very strange subject matter.
Jeremy Breedlove
Dec 31, 2015 Jeremy Breedlove rated it it was amazing
Awesome collection of urban legends. There's just so many here. Easy recommendation.
Richard Martin
Jul 08, 2015 Richard Martin rated it liked it
The description pretty well covers things.
Jenn
Dec 28, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining! Dave picked this up at Value Village yesterday and I barely put it down. Funny, I thought some of these urban legends were true when I'd read them before. They weren't all unbelievable. Like the diver found in the treetops of a burned forest who died from drowning. I always thought it was quite plausible!
Eryn
Nov 01, 2012 Eryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beware: If you use this in the classroom to discuss and explore Urban Legends, hand pick your stories. There are a lot of sexual urban legends in this book. I'm sure some superintendent would flip out if you let the kids just skim through the whole book!
Christian Shute
Jun 09, 2013 Christian Shute rated it really liked it
An alright read. Nice and short legends so one can read as little or as much as one likes. It is amazing the number of these I have heard from people telling me it happened to them, a friend, or a friend of a friend.
Beckey
Apr 08, 2013 Beckey rated it really liked it
Urban legends some you know & others you don't ...
Kristin
Sep 28, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Really funny, interesting and an amusing read.
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Spielbag
Spielbag marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Liliyana
Liliyana rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Sara Darling
Sara Darling rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Rgreen86
Rgreen86 marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Dan Vantassel
Dan Vantassel marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Jan 02, 2016
Chloe A-L
Chloe A-L marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
  • Apocalypse Wow!:  A Memoir for the End of Time
  • The Worst Noel: Hellish Holiday Tales
  • Monstrocity
  • A Book Addict's Treasury
  • Masters of Mystery: The Strange Friendship of Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini
  • The Ultimate Teen Book Guide