Start by marking “The Mister Rogers' Parenting Book: Helping To Understand Your Young Child” as Want to Read:
The Mister Rogers' Parenting Book: Helping To Understand Your Young Child

The Mister Rogers' Parenting Book: Helping To Understand Your Young Child

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Reassuring and wonderfully accessible, full of child development insight and practical ideas from a trusted friend of both children and adults, this innovative book is a valuable resource for all parents of 2 to 6year-olds who are faced with a variety of new and challenging situations. Charmingly illustrated, it addresses everyday experiences such as bedtime struggles, mea ...more
Published October 16th 2002 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mister Rogers' Parenting Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mister Rogers' Parenting Book

Natalie
Jun 26, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and people who deal with children
I believe chunks of this book were taken from the older one I'd already read, but parts were new.

It goes through lots of experiences/issues that people with kids face. It covers generic things about children growing and also has in depth sections on death, new siblings, etc. It's easy to read, well-organized, and I'm sure will be referred to when we hit bumps in the road.

Mister Rogers reminds you to try to think like children. And so far, it works. Samma was having a huge fit about something the
Denise
Jan 05, 2009 Denise rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all parents of school-aged kids
Recommended to Denise by: Michael
Shelves: parenting
Best parenting book. Period. Fred Rogers can say in one simple and well-put sentence what many other authors say in a chapter. I would recommend the introduction of the book to be read as a precursor to any parenting study--written by him or not. I also encourage parents or step-parents to simply check out the table on contents on Amazon to see if any of the topics are applicable to their family. It is worth checking out even for one chapter. Wonderful book--wonderful man!
Kate
Sep 02, 2007 Kate rated it it was amazing
In my limited experience, this is the best book for learning, with the gentle guidance of a man who really knows and cares, how to communicate with children.
Lynn
Oct 11, 2007 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of small children
Shelves: desert_island
My adoration of Mister Rogers continues well beyond his death, and this book is a gem of how to be a thoughtful, calm, on-your-kid's-level parent.
Petrie Serrano
Jun 17, 2014 Petrie Serrano rated it it was amazing
When my son was born the vows I made to myself were always to take his concerns seriously, never to make a promise I didn't intend to keep, to give him control over things that make no difference to me and all the world to him, and to solve as much as possible with hugging.

I'm absolutely certain after reading this book that I soaked up these values while my parents were watching Mr. Rogers with me as a kid. I don't think any other parenting book or site has spoken to me this way, though I think
Greg Metcalf
Jun 27, 2014 Greg Metcalf rated it it was amazing
This child development book was very much intended for parents and not writers researching writing a book about parents raising kids. It covers a wide range of topics and sums them up with solid parenting approaches that got repetitive, but that's good, for parents, because that makes such a challenging task seem simpler. Just keep a calm manner and be a good, active listener, and hold firm to limits you set. Simple stuff. Easier said than done, no doubt, but having this book to read and reread ...more
Jen
Feb 02, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing
I loved Mr Rogers as a child and I think his messages are still relevant for families today. This is a great book! It's a quick read and much of it seems like common sense, but it's written in Mr Rogers characteristic style of simplicity and comfort. He provides language parents can use when discussing sometimes difficult topics with their children. Reading it was a good reminder of how challenging it can be to be a child and how helpful it can be to have adults who recognize that.
Shane Moore
Nov 23, 2015 Shane Moore rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't read this book recently, but I often think about it when I'm talking to other parents. Mr. Rogers offers a lot of solid and practical advice for raising kids, but what made this book so memorable to me was the tone of compassion and the specific way he'd break complex issues down into manageable ones.

I don't often reread books, but I'm definitely going to read this one again in a couple years.
Thelittlestbrooks-livingston
Jan 17, 2014 Thelittlestbrooks-livingston rated it it was amazing
Like a lot of folks, my love of Mister Rogers goes way back. As a hopeful adoptive parent, I was happy to find this book, which tackles all sorts of potential parenting situations and gives good suggestions - there's even a page or two on talking to your child about adoption. Thumbs up from me.
Dan
Oct 27, 2010 Dan rated it liked it
This isn't a bad book, but it isn't really amazing either. Because it's written for a really broad audience, it looses some of the personal charm that comes from other Mr. Rogers books.

Nonetheless, it has good advice and covers some good topics.
Emily Mellow
Sep 09, 2008 Emily Mellow rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of young kids
Inspiring. It's all presented in a very do-able, easy and rational way. The only problem is now I feel like I should get a dog for my kids, which I definitely don't want to do. Everything else is easy.
Annabelle.voo Voorhees
Apr 14, 2013 Annabelle.voo Voorhees rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most brilliant books ever. If you have young children, you owe it to them and to yourself to read this. Mister Rogers is a genius and my hero.
Jamie
Mar 21, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it
This would be a good parenting book if you hadn't read parenting books. I should probably stop reading general parenting books.
Janey
May 03, 2015 Janey rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting-read
I picked up this book because I adore Fred Rogers. It was a nice, general parenting book--best for new parents.
Cws
Dec 18, 2008 Cws added it
649.124 Rog
Cyndi McGinnes
Cyndi McGinnes marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Ted
Ted rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Natalie Pietro
Natalie Pietro marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Lauren Rachel
Lauren Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Gena Rowe
Gena Rowe rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Jordan Stitt
Jordan Stitt rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Joshua
Joshua is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Jenelleme
Jenelleme marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Ardyth
Ardyth added it
Dec 28, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • How Weaning Happens
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • Wonderland: A Year in the Life of an American High School
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Escaping the Endless Adolescence: How We Can Help Our Teenagers Grow Up Before They Grow Old
  • Your Self-Confident Baby: How to Encourage Your Child's Natural Abilities -- From the Very Start
  • Some Nerve: Lessons Learned While Becoming Brave
  • Your Three-Year-Old: Friend or Enemy
  • Age of Opportunity: Lessons from the New Science of Adolescence
  • The Science of Parenting
  • Before They Pass Away
  • Magical Child
  • Don't Tell the Grown-Ups: The Subversive Power of Children's Literature
  • Written in Stone: A Journey Through the Stone Age and the Origins of Modern Language
  • Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation
  • Losing Our Way: An Intimate Portrait of a Troubled America
  • Alphabetical: How Every Letter Tells a Story
Fred McFeely Rogers was an American educator, minister, songwriter, and television host. Rogers was the host of the television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, in production from 1968 to 2001. Rogers was also an ordained Presbyterian minister.
More about Fred Rogers...

“[I]f we can bring our children understanding, comfort, and hopefulness when they need this kind of support, then they are more likely to grow into adults who can find these resources within themselves later on. (from the introduction)” 17 likes