Start by marking “Mister Rogers' Parenting Book: Helping To Understand Your Young Child” as Want to Read:
Mister Rogers' Parenting Book: Helping To Understand Your Young Child

Mister Rogers' Parenting Book: Helping To Understand Your Young Child

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Reassuring and wonderfully accessible, full of child development insight and practical ideas from a trusted friend of both children and adults, this innovative book is a valuable resource for all parents of 2 to 6year-olds who are faced with a variety of new and challenging situations. Charmingly illustrated, it addresses everyday experiences such as bedtime struggles, mea ...more
Published October 16th 2002 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about Mister Rogers' Parenting Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mister Rogers' Parenting Book

Natalie
Jun 26, 2008 Natalie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and people who deal with children
I believe chunks of this book were taken from the older one I'd already read, but parts were new.

It goes through lots of experiences/issues that people with kids face. It covers generic things about children growing and also has in depth sections on death, new siblings, etc. It's easy to read, well-organized, and I'm sure will be referred to when we hit bumps in the road.

Mister Rogers reminds you to try to think like children. And so far, it works. Samma was having a huge fit about something the
Denise
Jan 05, 2009 Denise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all parents of school-aged kids
Recommended to Denise by: Michael
Shelves: parenting
Best parenting book. Period. Fred Rogers can say in one simple and well-put sentence what many other authors say in a chapter. I would recommend the introduction of the book to be read as a precursor to any parenting study--written by him or not. I also encourage parents or step-parents to simply check out the table on contents on Amazon to see if any of the topics are applicable to their family. It is worth checking out even for one chapter. Wonderful book--wonderful man!
Kate
In my limited experience, this is the best book for learning, with the gentle guidance of a man who really knows and cares, how to communicate with children.
Lynn
Oct 11, 2007 Lynn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of small children
Shelves: desert_island
My adoration of Mister Rogers continues well beyond his death, and this book is a gem of how to be a thoughtful, calm, on-your-kid's-level parent.
Petrie Serrano
When my son was born the vows I made to myself were always to take his concerns seriously, never to make a promise I didn't intend to keep, to give him control over things that make no difference to me and all the world to him, and to solve as much as possible with hugging.

I'm absolutely certain after reading this book that I soaked up these values while my parents were watching Mr. Rogers with me as a kid. I don't think any other parenting book or site has spoken to me this way, though I think
Greg Metcalf
This child development book was very much intended for parents and not writers researching writing a book about parents raising kids. It covers a wide range of topics and sums them up with solid parenting approaches that got repetitive, but that's good, for parents, because that makes such a challenging task seem simpler. Just keep a calm manner and be a good, active listener, and hold firm to limits you set. Simple stuff. Easier said than done, no doubt, but having this book to read and reread ...more
Thelittlestbrooks-livingston
Like a lot of folks, my love of Mister Rogers goes way back. As a hopeful adoptive parent, I was happy to find this book, which tackles all sorts of potential parenting situations and gives good suggestions - there's even a page or two on talking to your child about adoption. Thumbs up from me.
Dan
This isn't a bad book, but it isn't really amazing either. Because it's written for a really broad audience, it looses some of the personal charm that comes from other Mr. Rogers books.

Nonetheless, it has good advice and covers some good topics.
Emily Mellow
Sep 09, 2008 Emily Mellow rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of young kids
Inspiring. It's all presented in a very do-able, easy and rational way. The only problem is now I feel like I should get a dog for my kids, which I definitely don't want to do. Everything else is easy.
Annabelle.voo Voorhees
This is one of the most brilliant books ever. If you have young children, you owe it to them and to yourself to read this. Mister Rogers is a genius and my hero.
Jamie
This would be a good parenting book if you hadn't read parenting books. I should probably stop reading general parenting books.
Cws
Dec 18, 2008 Cws added it
649.124 Rog
Angel Diaz
Angel Diaz marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Claire Moore
Claire Moore marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Keri Richards
Keri Richards is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Greg Lafave
Greg Lafave is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Cami
Cami marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Alice
Alice added it
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fred McFeely Rogers was an American educator, minister, songwriter, and television host. Rogers was the host of the television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, in production from 1968 to 2001. Rogers was also an ordained Presbyterian minister.
More about Fred Rogers...
The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember Life's Journeys According to Mister Rogers: Things to Remember Along the Way Dear Mister Rogers, Does It Ever Rain in Your Neighborhood?: Letters to Mister Rogers Many Ways to Say I Love You: Wisdom for Parents and Children from Mister Rogers You Are Special: Neighborly Wit And Wisdom From Mister Rogers

“[I]f we can bring our children understanding, comfort, and hopefulness when they need this kind of support, then they are more likely to grow into adults who can find these resources within themselves later on. (from the introduction)” 14 likes