Start by marking “Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers” as Want to Read:
Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers

Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Discover the true heart and soul of bread in CRUST & CRUMB, from whole-wheat, sourdough, and rye to pita, focaccia, and naan. In this classic cookbook, expert baker Peter Reinhart shows how to produce phenomenal bread, explaining each step of the process in detail and giving you knowledge and confidence to create countless variations of your own.

Awards1999 James Beard
Published September 1st 2006 by Ten Speed Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Crust and Crumb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crust and Crumb

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter ReinhartBread by Jeffrey HamelmanThe Bread Bible by Rose Levy BeranbaumArtisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff HertzbergHow to Make Bread by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou
Best Breadmaking Books Ever
14th out of 27 books — 26 voters
My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisJoy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanThe America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook by Carl TremblayThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen
Awesome Cookbooks!
54th out of 165 books — 79 voters

More lists with this book...

Meghan Fidler
While I hesitate to include mr. Reinhart as a historical figure in bread making or a radical pioneer in talk of bread philosophy (as per his introduction), I found this an impressive book collecting both rustic kitchen terminology and the "science of cooking" specifications from the late 50s and 60s. I found the marriage of these styles underplayed, a technique which adds an important dialog for a book on bread: In this sense, the author did shine... Though it takes a chef to proclaim this himse ...more
Caryn Caldwell
Not a book of bread recipes so much as an in-depth discussion of baking several select "formulas". Includes a lot of very helpful background on the basics of bread-making. This is NOT a book for beginning bread bakers. The formulas (he doesn't call them recipes) are complex, most of the simplest ones taking two days to make. I'm not sure this is a book I'll go back to again and again when I want to make bread--rather than making it seem simpler, as I'd hoped, it makes the task seem very complex ...more
Donna Sutherland
I like to read cookbooks and try to understand the science. Enjoyed this one.
Gary Mesick
Once you get past Reinhart's "slow rise" as metaphor, you may find his stuff hard going. It took me several goes at this one to understand what else he had to teach me. Finally, I think I get it. "Build" your bread at the rate the yeast performs best, not at the rate you perform best. You will make better bread (and it will take you a really, really long time!)
Donald
I've been wanting to make our own bread for some time now. Peter Reinhart has more in this book than I will need in this lifetime. Not only did I learn about making all sorts of artisan bread, I thoroughly enjoyed Reinhard's stories.
Tanya D
Mar 25, 2008 Tanya D rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bread bakers
Shelves: cookbooks
In some ways I prefer this to his later book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice. For some similar recipes from both books, C&C tends to have more tips and background info on how the recipe was created.
Thing One
An earlier work, and well worth space on the shelf. I miss the illustrations though.
Rebecca Coday
I've read a lot of bread books and this one, IMHO, is the best of the lot. Of course it depends on what you are looking for in a bread book, I was looking for alternatives, and this book offered many.

I was looking for tried and true recipes, this book has them. I was looking for background information on breadmaking (how it works and why and geeky stuff like that) and this book has that too. So, I went and bought my own copy.

If you bake breads pretty regularly at home, I recommend this or any
John Sundeen
This book totally got me started in bread baking. A great intro for weekend warrior bakers. Love making a hard crusted bread, and also experimenting with at least slightly more wheat flour than a few of the recipes call out. Bagel making has been hit or miss, but sure is practically identical to a certain national chain when it comes out right. Checked one of his more recent efforts out of the library (the same as how I previewed this one before outright owning it), but has not inspired the way ...more
Sandra
I am increasingly impressed with this book the more I use it. Peter Reinhardt knows his stuff and his muffin recipe is amazing. Buy the book for that recipe alone. He gives a plenitude of information to make you a expert baker. This is not a simple beginners only book but a book to make amazing bread because the techniques are some of the best I have come across.
Joyce
Yes, this is a recipe book in part, although Reinhart refers to them as formulas. It's also, and maybe primarily, a treatise on bread. Why things happen when you do "x" rather than, or in addition to, "y'. I found it fascinating.

Of course, I want my own copy of the book! This one has to go back on the library's shelves.
Tommy Butler
I use this bad boy for all my baking endeavors. While I haven't mastered the baguette or ciabatta, I do make a mean pizza. This book and its associated activities also teach patience and are often humbling. I recommend to any looking to make world class bread (or at least aspiring too).
Fran
Aug 14, 2007 Fran rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who bakes bread
Time to start thinking about fall and bread baking. More instruction than recipes in this book. We'll see how it goes.
erik

Reinhart's newer book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, supercedes Crust & Crumb. Still, this is a great book.
Cissa
Brilliant, for those of use who9 want to make seriously artisinal breads on a small scale.
Arif
Highly recommend this to anyone interested in improving their bread baking skills.
David Jacobs
Jan 12, 2010 David Jacobs is currently reading it
This is a soft-bound paper book, so I can keep the page #s up to date.
David Young
Incredible - the art and science of the staff of life.
Teresa
Not as good as Bread Baker's Apprentice.
Christina
I like his later books better.
Lonnieandmelanie Wibberding
The title says it all. Great book!
Mathew
Mathew added it
Dec 20, 2014
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Didi
Didi is currently reading it
Patricio Ramal
Patricio Ramal is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • Tartine Bread
  • Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes
  • Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery: Recipes for the Connoisseur
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers
  • Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • Italian Grill
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking
The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza Brother Juniper's Bread Book