Start by marking “Back In The Game” as Want to Read:
Back In The Game
Preview

Back In The Game

2.8 of 5 stars 2.80  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Through a marriage may end, life goes on. Getting back in the dating game is never easy, but four newly single Bostonites are quickly learning that the only way to get anywhere in the dating world is to jump right in and test the waters.
Published July 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Back In The Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back In The Game

Charlaralotte
Another find in the hotel lobby in Rome.

Deathly fluffy. No concern whatsoever for characters. Really no concern for what character happened to be narrating at the moment. Quite superficial. Whole book would have been much better if it'd focused on the one messy divorcee of the lot. Decline and fall of Laura's mental state is a good story, but gets shelved amidst the drivel of other examples of divorced women.
Alicia
I have to admit that I skipped around in this book. The chapters weren't long enough to really "get" the characters so I ended up jumping around and reading the chapters of Jess and Laura, the only characters I found interesting. Still Jess wasn't really interesting and Laura was just crazy and her whole storyline was surreal and rushed. Overall, not something I would recommend. A pretty quick read.
Amy
This is my second Holly Chamberlin book and will defiantely by my last. I didn't finish the first one and I am sorry that I finished this one. Her characters are horrible and the book is high on fluff and low on substance.
Cara
I got this book because it looked like a fluffy treat/beach book. It certainly is that, but it takes it a little too far.

It's about four women living parallel lives and supporting each other as friends. I like books based on this structure. But that's about as far as it goes. The women are whiny and not very interesting, although they do improve some as the book goes on. The view of the world presented by this book is simplistic, and a lot of it is drawn in crayon. Tiresome. It kind of reminded
Wes A
Deb Cornell
Chamberlin's characters won me over. I was apprehensive when I picked up this title, worried that a plot featuring four friends going through divorces would be too maudlin to enjoy. Like each relationship is unique, so too is each of the divorces. Chamberlin has crafted a story in which the divorcees do not become stereotypes, but instead allows us to sit front row watching their circumspection and evolution. Chamberlin is definitely growing as a writer.
Nina
On some levels, this could double as a novel and a self-help book. It was like a long essay about putting your life back on track after divorce, but written very creatively to read like a story as well.
As I have never been divorced nor married before, those areas are really very foreign to me. Of course I witness how my parents' marriage went, as well as those of my other relatives but I really don't have a firsthand account of what happens between man and wife. Coming from a predominantly Chris
Julie Barrett
BACK IN THE GAME Holly Chamberlin
I enjoy reading Holly's works and this is another good one.
Starts out with alternating chapters of four women who are getting or going through a divorce.
They share their triumphs and days of misery with each other and some even find online or group sessions to help them over the problems that arise.
Also at the beginning of every chapter are tips or quotes from other publications about divorce.
One man turned gay, another had his wife cheat on him, another wants a
Rebecca
Okay but seems like it took me too long to read. Set in Boston, supposed to be a wisened look at life of women after divorce and while they re-enter dating life in their 30s-40s. Definitely funny in parts, but drags some too. Only certain thing I take away from the characters is I want to smack Laura and tell her to wake up, get over herself and deal with life; not hide from it!
Janet
Four friends, four divorces, four interwoven stories -- I could remember two women (plumpish must-have-a-baby one and the one married to a big-baby artist). The other two (one cheated on her husband and the other's husband turned out to be gay) I could never keep straight. The only thing I really admired was that the one who was completely baby-mad was portrayed as someone whose motivations were questionable and whose ethics were shaky.

Very predictable -- at the end one was happily single, one
Amy
Back in the Game by Holly Chamberlain. Normally I enjoy Chamberlains’s books but I found something selfish about the characters. Normally I feel empathy for their hardships or misfortunes but I couldn’t connect with them. There were moments that I enjoyed the novel but overall I would choose another selection.
Jennifer Bagazin
At first I totally didn't (couldn't) relate to the book. It was all about dating in your forties, divorce, and everything in between. Later did I realize that finding love even when you've aged is not much different than finding love in your early tweens. My favorite character of all is Grace. She's a really strong woman, and she really deserves what fate had given her - Evan, a loving partner & companion totally opposite her ex-husband Simon.

All in all, the book greatly taught me alot, fro
Judy Collins
Back in the Game was not one of my favorites by Holly Chamberlain; however, may be worth reading for some women who relate.

The novel is about four women who find themselves going through a divorce. They share their miseries with one another along with some tops about divorce. One man turned gay, another had his wife cheat on him, another wants a baby and he doesn't and another has found his own true love.
Of course, they go through the dating scene and not really my type of escape as too many pr
Erin
Kat
This is my first Holly Chamberlin book and it won't be my last. The reason it's three stars is because of Grammar mistakes and the last 10 to 12 chapters was quite slow. I enjoy the writing otherwise though and liked all the characters. I agreed slightly what Laura was doing, I could understand her situation but at the same time hated how she hurt people in the process. Plus what Nell went through just seemed to get thrown in there to add a serious element to the book and didn't feel it fitted i ...more
Karen Vandenbosch
A so so book, liked some of the characters and others not so much. Story line not super exciting but a easy enough read while on vacation.
Kelly Freir
I pretty much read this whole book in the voice of Carrie Bradshaw narrating Sex and the City because this book seemed like such a blatant rip off of the show with the way it was written. It wasn't a horrible book by any stretch but by the end I was so tired of the SATC similarities it was driving me crazy!
Johanna Black
Fun, summer read. Enjoyed the "Sex and the City"-ish vibe.
Kathleen C.
I was in need of something to read on the bus ride back to Fukui from Tokyo. This book caught my eye in Kinokuniya. I got really involved in each of the character's lives but in the end I felt like there was nothing really there. Four characters just talking about their life and their friends' lives.

The whole book is about getting back into the dating scene after a divorce.

I'm not married, never been married...this book made me seriously dislike the whole idea of marriage. ;p
A group of friends find themselves all experiencing divorce in a different way. No major story line and not much excitement.
Holly
I used this book as a book-to-read-in-lineups on my phone. The story didn't take any thought to follow and the dialogue was unrealistic.
Katrina Walper
I thought this book would be a light summer read, but it did go a bit deeper than that and make you question certain things in your own life. I wasn't a fan of how they treated Laura as a character. Perhaps the author was trying to create this tragic character or show that divorce does not always work out well in every situation, but it was a bit of a depressing ending for her. I hope that I am not over-sharing by saying that.
Charlene
An okay book I guess. I wouldn't read it again or purchase it or anything. I had a hard time keeping the characters straight. I also got kind of bored with it, but it was good enough I didn't want to NOT finish it. It was out of my typical genre of suspense or erotica and I just thought I should try to expand my horizons a bit with something different so I am glad I finished.
Cindy
Four friends, four divorces, four stories. Definitely not an uplifting beach read! Book has more fluff than substance. This is my first Holly Chamberlain book and most likely my last. 2.5 stars
Rita Thomas

I enjoyed reading this book, but didn't think the characters were that believable. I especially liked the "divorce advise quotes" at the beginning of each chapter. They were funny.
Jill Madsen
Cute story of a group of women rediscovering themselves during mid-life... some of the characters I really liked, but others I found myself wanting to yell at.
Paula
Not a favorite... It was just ok. As I now see other reviews, it wasn't a well liked book. Hope the other one of hers I have is better.
Marisa
It was an alright read, didn't much like the characters or story, it was something to read.
Sandi
I felt like this was four woman complaining about their divorces and it got boring quickly!
  • Another Summer
  • A Wedding in Great Neck
  • The Boyfriend of the Month Club
  • 24-Karat Kids
  • Chore Whore: Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant
  • A Story of God and All of Us: A Novel Based on the Epic TV Miniseries "The Bible"
  • The Marriage Game
  • Alligator Lake
  • The Ex Files
  • Otherwise Engaged
  • Pretty in Ink
Holly Chamberlin is a native New Yorker, but she now lives in Portland, Maine - the aftermath of stumbling across Mr. Right at the one moment she wasn't watching the terrain. She's been writing and editing - poetry, children's fantasies, a romance novel or two, among many other genres and projects - her entire life. She has two cats, Betty and Cyrus, and when she's not writing her hobbies include ...more
More about Holly Chamberlin...
Summer Friends The Summer Of Us Tuscan Holiday One Week In December Last Summer

“People make mistakes. Get over it. You thought he was Mr Right but you were wrong. He thought you were his angel but he was wrong. Dwelling on the past will get you nowhere.” 3 likes
“How many married couples who stay married until one of them dies can honestly say that they weren't terribly bored at times?” 3 likes