Start by marking “Hurricane Watch: Forecasting the Deadliest Storms on Earth” as Want to Read:
Hurricane Watch: Forecasting the Deadliest Storms on Earth

Hurricane Watch: Forecasting the Deadliest Storms on Earth

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The ultimate guide to the ultimate storms, Hurricane Watch is a fascinating blend of science and history from one of the world's foremost meteorologists and an award-winning science journalist. This in-depth look at these awe-inspiring acts of nature covers everything from the earliest efforts by seafarers at predicting storms to the way satellite imaging is revolutionizin ...more
Published July 31st 2001 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Hurricane Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurricane Watch

Mat. Anna
This book details the history of hurricane forecasting from the folkloric signs of a hurricane's approach to the development of computer forecasting models. It is set primarily in the U.S. but with a nice background on Cuba as well. Some basic science of hurricane genesis is included. A particular emphasis is given to Hurricane Andrew (1992) since it made landfall very near the National Hurricane Center in Coral Gables, Florida. Dr. Bob Sheets, former director, was on staff when Andrew came asho ...more
Pamela
I'm a geek. Yes, I admit it. And not just a geek in the reads-comics-and-plays-D&D way; I love science books. I started reading astronomy books that were grades above my supposed reading level when I was eight years old. I loved books on paleontology after Jurassic Park came out, and archaeology has always been a deep and abiding love of mine thanks to Indiana Jones. I spent about five years wanting to be a volcanologist.

There's a special place in my heart for meteorology books. I grew up in
Noah
This book develops the history of hurricane forecasting right up to the ominous predictions of what the big one would do to New Orleans. Like Enron, all of the facts, predictions, and warning signs were right here in the open, including some very tantilizing discussion about what if the levies were to fail. Little did Dr. Bob Sheets know just how right he would be.
Jay Wigley
Completely engrossing and fascinating look at the history of both hurricanes and our methods to predict and deal with them. This book predates Katrina and much of the worst storms of the 21st century, but it remains a valuable overview of the nature of these storms and both the triumphs and tragedies they are connected to.
Logan
Learned all about hurricanes, what makes them tick. This is the book that taught me. I like teachy books. Lots of diagrams and things too. Very nice.
Chris Williams
Using this for research for my own book.
Lawli
Lawli is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2015
Hanad
Hanad marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Remo
Remo marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Bernadette
Bernadette marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Fifteen
Fifteen marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Stuart Lathrop
Stuart Lathrop marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
Serendipitous Discoveries In Radio Astronomy Hurricane Watch: Forecasting the Deadliest Storms on Earth