Start by marking “Hurricane Watch: Forecasting the Deadliest Storms on Earth” as Want to Read:
Hurricane Watch: Forecasting the Deadliest Storms on Earth

Hurricane Watch: Forecasting the Deadliest Storms on Earth

The ultimate guide to the ultimate storms, Hurricane Watch is a fascinating blend of science and history from one of the world's foremost meteorologists and an award-winning science journalist. This in-depth look at these awe-inspiring acts of nature covers everything from the earliest efforts by seafarers at predicting storms to the way satellite imaging is revolutionizin ...more
Published July 31st 2001 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Hurricane Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurricane Watch

Mat. Anna
This book details the history of hurricane forecasting from the folkloric signs of a hurricane's approach to the development of computer forecasting models. It is set primarily in the U.S. but with a nice background on Cuba as well. Some basic science of hurricane genesis is included. A particular emphasis is given to Hurricane Andrew (1992) since it made landfall very near the National Hurricane Center in Coral Gables, Florida. Dr. Bob Sheets, former director, was on staff when Andrew came asho ...more
Pamela
Apr 15, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it
I'm a geek. Yes, I admit it. And not just a geek in the reads-comics-and-plays-D&D way; I love science books. I started reading astronomy books that were grades above my supposed reading level when I was eight years old. I loved books on paleontology after Jurassic Park came out, and archaeology has always been a deep and abiding love of mine thanks to Indiana Jones. I spent about five years wanting to be a volcanologist.

There's a special place in my heart for meteorology books. I grew up in
Lawli
Oct 05, 2015 Lawli is currently reading it
I love history and weather, so this book was perfect for me. This was a well-written and informative book. It didn't dumb down the science too much, just enough for a layman to be able to read and understand (my mom could read this), which I am happy about, otherwise it would have been frustrating to read! I also love all the little bits of trivia sprinkled throughout the book.
Noah
Sep 11, 2010 Noah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book develops the history of hurricane forecasting right up to the ominous predictions of what the big one would do to New Orleans. Like Enron, all of the facts, predictions, and warning signs were right here in the open, including some very tantilizing discussion about what if the levies were to fail. Little did Dr. Bob Sheets know just how right he would be.
Jay Wigley
Jun 15, 2012 Jay Wigley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely engrossing and fascinating look at the history of both hurricanes and our methods to predict and deal with them. This book predates Katrina and much of the worst storms of the 21st century, but it remains a valuable overview of the nature of these storms and both the triumphs and tragedies they are connected to.
Logan
Mar 26, 2008 Logan rated it it was amazing
Learned all about hurricanes, what makes them tick. This is the book that taught me. I like teachy books. Lots of diagrams and things too. Very nice.
Chris Williams
May 08, 2012 Chris Williams rated it it was amazing
Using this for research for my own book.
Paul Sonkin
Paul Sonkin is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2016
Elhadan
Elhadan is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Tanner Walling
Tanner Walling marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Rebecka
Rebecka marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
pianogal
pianogal marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Rachel M
Rachel M marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Jean
Jean added it
Jan 19, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Eric Williams
Eric Williams rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Jimmy
Jimmy rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Here Now
Here Now rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Heloise West
Heloise West rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Hanad
Hanad marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Art
Art rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015