Start by marking “Dante: A Life” as Want to Read:
Dante: A Life

Dante: A Life (Penguin Lives)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  17 reviews
An insightful biography of Florence?s famous son

Acclaimed biog rap her R.W.B. Lewis traces the life and complex development? emotional, artistic, philosophical?of this supreme poet-historian. Here we meet the boy who first encounters the mythic Beatrice, the lyric poet obsessed with love and death, the grand master of dramatic narrative and allegory, and his monumental se
Published November 24th 2009 by Penguin Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dante

Kevin
Dante: A Life is an informative little biography whose focus is on the historic events surrounding Dante's life and their impact on his literary work (with an emphasis on the Divine Comedy). As a result, this works much better as a companion work to understanding references made in the Divine Comedy then a proper biography. Not much is blatantly shown about Dante the person, and the only sense we have of him as such is mostly through his reactions to events, past and contemporary.

This is import
Evan Hays
Jay Jacoby, a man whose literary tastes I greatly value and a medievalist no less, told me to read this before I tried reading the Divine Comedy. I am very glad that I started here. The author has a knack for being concise yet also packing in a lot of good information. What became clear through reading this book is that Dante was an incredibly well read man, who poured years of study and thought into the comedy. So beyond the poetic beauty of the work, there are references upon references to und ...more
Shainna
I would have liked this book better if I hadn't expected it to just be a biography.

This is part biography, part history, and part commentary on the Divine Comedy.

There were repetitive aspects to the commentary that I didn't think added to the biography. The history was a bit convoluted as people were mentioned and then immediately explained for a ways before going back to the original point of the section. This would have been fine, except that the people didn't really matter that much when firs
Burgendya
This book called attention when I saw it in the library shelf. My brothers and friends suggested Dante's "Devine Comendy". So I decided to read the bio before I read Devine Comedy.

I just finished reading it yesterday. It very interesting but also pretty long & boring. The story of Dante's life in this book mostly reflect on his excile. Not so much in his for early beginnings from birth,childhood and love seemed.

I must admit that some of the inspiration of Dante Alighieri was express in
Aaron
Just wonderful. A great mix of analysis of Dante's work and the surrounding personal and political context. Late medieval Italian politics is insanely complex, but this book did a good job of making it just understandable enough. I wish I had found it before my last re-reading of the Divine Comedy because now I have to read it again!
Brenda Clough
Biographies of writers are always fun for writers -- not sure how useful they are for the rest of humanity. Dante is particularly difficult because there is so relatively little known about him -- nothing exists in his own hand, for instance. This is an excellent work to begin on, covering most of what is known about the poet and avoiding all the jungles of speculation (of which there are many, I am reliably informed).

I read this for research purposes, and am almost more interested in what is NO
Bill
A workman like biography without any surprise revelations. But what does come through, at least to me, is that Dante profited creatively from his exile and I wonder that if he was able to remain in Florence whether his involvement with daily life and politics would have eroded his creativity. In addition, we learn that banishment was a popular punishment and that many citizens of various Italian cities were banished. Most famously Shakespeare's account of Romeo & Juliet.
Margaret Heller
This was a gentle literary biography of Dante. I've been trying to get up to speed on medieval European literature (oddly enough that's part of my job), and this helped me understand Dante's context and writing. There were parts that were repetitive-- reminders that didn't need to be there, but in general a pleasant way to find out more about Dante. Also same narrator as the BOT Name of the Rose, so made total auditory sense.
Tim
A concise and wise biography. While there are a lot of Italian names to remember, Lewis tells a compelling story weaving together Dante's life with his major works. Good to get a review of the Commedia and read just a bit about both the theological influences on Dante and his widespread literary influence. I also appreciated the brief quotations from Dante's works in both Italian and English translation.
Malcolm Yarnell
A flowing introduction to the life, context, and thought of Italy's greatest poet. For the theologian, Dante is a great introduction to medieval Catholicism. The Divine Comedy presents a comprehensive and compelling narrative for reality, and Lewis packages that narrative well.
Stacy Bearse
More information on Dante's opus, The Divine Comedy, than on the man himself. Still, this is a meticulously researched work with strong academic appeal.
James
Spends too much time writing about Dante's influence of other writers (who I don't care about).
Steve
I'm being generous when I say this book totally sucks.
Einschrein
Light, basic, nothing new or special here.
Ramzi
Jun 20, 2013 Ramzi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Book #21 in the shelf experiment
Jeremy
Interesting book on Dante's life and how his development from child to adult greatly impacted his warped view of life. Had a lot of good lines from some of Dante's most famous books.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
matthew flowers
matthew flowers marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Joshua
Joshua is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Lejla
Lejla marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Steve Seward
Steve Seward marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Christopher Hurtado
Christopher Hurtado marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Zermen
Zermen added it
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Saint Augustine (Lives Biographies)
  • Dante: Poet of the Secular World
  • Robert E. Lee
  • Pope John XXIII
  • Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Andy Warhol
  • Crazy Horse: A Life (Penguin Lives Biographies)
  • Mozart: A Life
  • Medieval People
  • Virginia Woolf
  • Augustine of Hippo: A Biography
  • Life of Dante

Penguin Lives (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Martin Luther
  • Winston Churchill
  • Virginia Woolf
  • Julia Child
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Charles Dickens
  • Crazy Horse: A Life (Penguin Lives Biographies)
  • Joan of Arc
  • Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Saint Augustine (Lives Biographies)
Edith Wharton The American Adam The City of Florence: Historical Vistas and Personal Sightings The Letters of Edith Wharton The Jameses: A Family Narrative