Start by marking “Indelible (Grant County, #4)” as Want to Read:
Indelible (Grant County, #4)

Indelible (Grant County #4)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  22,064 Ratings  ·  625 Reviews
Karin Slaughter’s reputation grows apace, and Indelible sports all the customary fingerprints. Over the space of a handful of novels, the author has built a reputation as one of the key crime novelists at work today. What's her secret? In some ways, Slaughter’s work is a refining of the Southern Gothic idiom that has been the bedrock of so much atmospheric work in the past ...more
Published July 27th 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Indelible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indelible

Jonetta
Jun 17, 2011 Jonetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Sara Linton visits Jeffrey at the police station and becomes embroiled in a deadly shootout and hostage situation. The story alternates between this tense showdown and that of Sara and Jeffrey's early relationship.

I thought the alternating stories were done brilliantly. At first, I was impatient, wanting to get on with what was happening at the station. But soon I was just as hooked by the revelations of Jeffrey's past. It wasn't immediately clear how the two would relate but I trusted that it
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
This is my absolute favourite of this series.

I have read Indelible several times, and now listened on audio. A brilliant, exciting, tense plot whichever way you choose to 'read' it.

Highly recommended.
Kelli
May 16, 2016 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2016-fiction
Leave it to me to select the audio without realizing it was part of a series. In my defense, it didn't indicate that but luckily, the author herself states that those new to the Grant County series can start here at (gulp) book four or at the logical beginning with book one. This reminded me on some level of my days when I read anything Patricia Cornwell. It was entertaining enough but I didn't love it. There is a good chance that is because I didn't begin at the beginning, but it is just as lik ...more
Karin Slaughter
Aug 04, 2012 Karin Slaughter rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sticklers for order who ask "where do I start" reading the Grant County series have two choices. You can go with Blindsighted, which is technically the first book, or you can start with Indelible, which is the "origin story" for Sara and Jeffrey. I always write my books so that anyone can pick up any book and know what's going on and who is who, but I am the type who has to read in order, so I know this is an important question.

What I like about this book is you get to see where Jeffrey grew up.
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Another great read by Karin Slaughter...I don't know what else to say. She is a master at dark, emotional, heartbreaking suspense. Couldn't put it down.
Bill Garrison
After reading INDELIBLE by Karin Slaughter, I will have now read all of her novels. I realized after reading that I always liked the character Jeffrey Toliver, because he seemed to be the only normal character of the bunch. Well, not after reading this book. It is Tolliver's turn to have his sordid, twisted past revealed. The novel opens with a horrific shootout at the police station where kids are taken hostage and cops are killed.
With the hostages in a standoff, the story skips back in time to
Marnie  Krüger
This is definitely my favorite book in the Grant County series!

This is the origin story of Jeffrey and Sara, combined with the most horrible of events anyone of them has ever faced.

I never were a Jeffrey fan, but after Indelible I am in love...
Also seeing a younger version of Sara just made her so much more real.

I can't wait to see what is next in line for them.

O, and Lena...
Lena is finally growing up!
Susan
I think this is the best book in this series so far. In the last couple of books it was going towards a soap opera drama. This was a fast pace mystery with two time lines.
Mike
Only 2 Stars for this one. Virtually no character in the book is attractive or sympathetic. Depressing scenery, confusing timelines with flashbacks every other chapter. Loved the first book of hers that I read, Triptych, but the Grant County series hasn't clicked and actually I only finished this one because I wanted to see how little I could care about the characters. Except for a couple of minor players, don't care about any of them.
Mark
Aug 05, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the better written crime novels.
This is essentialy a prequel story within a story that takes place in modern time.

In the beginning of their relationship Jeffrey Tolliver took his girlfriend Sara Linton to his hometown. Here they get involved in a murder-case that will change the nature of their relationship. When a second dead body is found Jeffrey Tolliver is faced again by his past and his friendships.

In Grant county two men walk into the police station ask for the police chief Tolliver and start killing policemen. Sara Lint
Freda Malone
Apr 05, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel in the series was a surprise. Having the opportunity to learn more about how Chief Tolliver and Sara Linton met and dated was nothing short of intense and was enlightening to say the least. Sometimes if you look into the past and history of an individual; or in this case, a character, you'll find out why certain attributes are ingrained into these characters and how they became the person they are. Phobias, habits, attitudes and notions included.

I enjoyed this part in the series beca
Maureen DeLuca
For me, only 2 stars. This book is a must read if you want to know the details of how Jeffrey and Sara met, and mostly about Jeffrey's past- his home life, friends and family. I did find some of it interesting. I stuck with it for the simple fact I am determined to finish up this series , in order.
MadProfessah
Jan 07, 2016 MadProfessah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Whoa! Definitely the best of the Grant County novels so far, perhaps because it has the smallest amount of Lena and much more of Jeffrey and Sara. Really Jeffrey is the main character, especially in the earlier time line set in his hometown of Sylacauga, Alabama.

Slaughter really does an excellent job of mixing mystery, suspense and romance in her Grant County books and she is at the very top of her game in Indelible. When the hostage situation started I was annoyed about the sudden time switch t
WendyB
Dec 18, 2016 WendyB rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I don't like Jeffrey, and Lena is annoying the crap out of me.
Andrew
Oct 21, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable read, but it did take me quite a while to get into the book with the two different stories from the different timelines. However once I did get into the book it was well worth it. It was good to find out more about the backstory of Jeffery and the early days of the Jeffrey and Sara story.
Janie Johnson
Oct 06, 2016 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is book #4 in the Grant County series. I am reading this series as a read along with a few of my friends. I am about one book behind though. I will catch up. Not enjoying this series as much as the Will Trent series, but definitely worth the read.

Synopsis

An officer is shot point-blank in the Grant County police station and police chief Jeffrey Tolliver is wounded, setting off a terrifying hostage situation with medical examiner Sara Linton at the center. Working outside the station, Lena Ad
Lauren
Indelible
4 Stars

A brutal attack on the Heartsdale police station leaves several officers dead, the Chief of Police, Jeffrey Tolliver, critically wounded and his ex-wife and town coroner, Dr. Sara Linton, taken hostage along with several children. As events unfold in Grant County, it soon becomes clear that they are inextricably linked to Sara and Jeffrey’s past and a crime they investigated in Jeffrey’s hometown of Sylacauga, Alabama. A crime that may have a lasting effect on their future …

Seri
Darcy
Sep 27, 2009 Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked about this book was learning the back story of Sara and Jeffery. At first I had a hard time when they kept going back and forth between now and when they went away. Once I had that figured out I couldn't put the book down.

I was surprised at how Jeffery's high school friends treated Sara. The first meeting was bad. If I had been her I would have left. But knowing later things in the book things that were said did make sense. And I can't believe the mom!! I would have slapped her.

I li
Holly
2 1/2 - 3 Stars

This installment of the Grant County series left me quite disappointed.

I was anxious to finally read about the early days of Jeffery & Sara's relationship, but the mingled past/present storylines ended up being rather dull. And the inevitable resolution to both stories were more than lacking.

I have a love/hate relationship with Lena throughout this series, and while she had a much smaller role in this book than she has in the previous books, I found myself liking her characte
Melissa
Aug 09, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dana Delamar
Mar 11, 2014 Dana Delamar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping from start to finish--very well done! I really enjoyed learning more about Sara and Jeffrey's past. Slaughter has a real gift for portraying relationships in all their strangeness and complexity. She does a great job here of showing how mistakes made in the past (at different times) have unexpected consequences years down the line. (I really don't want to say too much about this book, because I don't want to ruin the plot.) Her deft plotting and character development elevate this book a ...more
Jim
Jan 19, 2015 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Having read several of author Karin Slaughter's books, I found "Indelible" to be a very pedestrian read. The book never really had any jump to it. "Indelible", tells the dual stories of when Jeffrey takes Sara to his boyhood home in tiny little Sylacauga, Al. in 1991, and concurrently with a crisis at the police station in present day Grant County. Sara is in for a real shock arriving at Jeffrey's boyhood home. She's horrified by the people in the town and the way Jeffrey conducts himself while ...more
Amanda
Apr 14, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knowing that there are more books in this series with Jeffrey in them, you know that no matter what happens to him in this book, he’ll survive. I appreciate knowing this because I hate it when characters I like die. Even when I know that a character will eventually live or who will end up with whom, I enjoy the story that gets there. Karin Slaughter did not disappoint me with this book. There are really two separate plot lines here, but they are linked together, even though you are not really qu ...more
Kristijan Sašilo
Man, I hate giving ratings. I either love the book or I don't. So I give either 5 stars or 1. Occasionally I opt for 4 stars just to say "ok, I would have loved it if only..." I nearly rated "Indelible" 4 stars because all that dipping in the past really killed me but I changed my mind. Why? Probably because by now I have grown used to Sara's and Jeffrey's company, they feel like old friends. Having read most of the Will Trent books, I know what will happen to one of my friends so damn... But st ...more
Readstoomuch
I'm currently reading this book . . . it was recommended to me by a lady who was reading it at Chick-fil-a! She loved the book by this author. I checked it out of the library . . . the plot is interesting . . . a real who-done-it. However, the language is appalling . . . I'm not a total prude, but there are just too many "yuck" works here. I am going to finish . . . and can't wait to see the outcome! I haven't decided whether I will read others by her or not. I didn't know that this one was numb ...more
Donna
Nov 15, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I liked this book. It is one I didn't want to put down. It was a complete page turner for me. I know I always say what I dislike about this author, but this is by far my favorite story written by her. I haven't read any of her other novels in this particular series, but I will now. .

I think what I liked the most was the flow of the story. It toggled back and forth from present to past, and I liked how all the info came together at the end.
Oliver
Sep 19, 2012 Oliver rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like that the Slaughter books I read are usually dark. And the characters... she built up their backgrounds too well she could readily use it in the present storyline. It's just that the characters, like almost all of the main ones, are damaged. And that fact alone easily conveys the seriousness and sadness of this book. Not too crazy about this book, but I like it.
Jan 23, 2017 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Karin Slaughter fan but out of all her books, this may have been my least favorite. For some reason I had trouble following both stories and seeing how they came together.
Amber
Jan 01, 2017 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really appreciate how great Karin Slaughter is at intertwining and making her characters unique. Even though I enjoy her Will Trent series more, I’m really appreciating this series
Ptreick
Jan 19, 2013 Ptreick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-reads
So, this book is #4 in a series, which I didn't realize until I sat down to write this review. I don't read a lot of series, but when I do, I notice one of two things:
1. The book doesn't need the book ahead of it to make any sense (aka, M.R. Hall books).
2. Any relevant information that is needed to understand the story is explained briefly by the author, so the reader is up to speed.

This book did neither, and I can only assume that if I were to read books 1, 2 and 3, I might figure it all out. B
What was the mystery around Smith's watch? 2 17 Oct 14, 2015 07:56AM
Gwinnett County P...: Karin Slaughter - Grant County series 1 15 Jan 03, 2013 09:16AM
  • Die For Me (Romantic Suspense, #7; Daniel Vartanian, #1)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
  • Merciless (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #3)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • The Wire in the Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me (Lucy Kincaid, #2)
Karin Slaughter is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of fifteen thrillers, including UNSEEN, CRIMINAL, FALLEN, BROKEN, UNDONE, FRACTURED, BEYOND REACH, TRIPTYCH, FAITHLESS, COP TOWN, and the e-original short stories “Snatched” and “Busted.”

Slaughter was born in a small southern Georgia community, and now resides in Atlanta. She is widely credited with first coining the
More about Karin Slaughter...

Grant County (6 books)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Faithless (Grant County, #5)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)