Start by marking “A Fork in the Road” as Want to Read:
A Fork in the Road

A Fork in the Road

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This is André Brink's story of a life lived in tumultuous times. He describes with searing honesty his conflicting experiences of growing up in a world where innocence was always surrounded by violence and storytelling was a means of reconciling the stark contrasts of his world.

His time spent in Paris in the 1960s confirmed in him the desire to become a writer but his oppo
Published April 1st 2010 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Fork in the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fork in the Road

Nathaniel
When a novelist waits to the fading end of his career to write his memoir, there is a risk that he may assume that everything about his life is interesting to his fans—that his greatness in the world can propel a reader through any mundane episodes or trivia pertaining to his life (or worse, his intellectual development). I think it’s best to get this kind of thing out of the way with a first novel (“Stephen Hero” style), since the egoism of youth may excuse the tendency to write about the play ...more
Ilze
Brink is a typical Don Quixote - and he unashamedly compares himself to the same teller of tales. At first you think, 'this can't be true, he's spinnig a yarn!', but as the text progresses, you realize that this is merely his writing style. In and of itself the text is interesting (and especially to someone who has an interest in his affair with Ingrid Jonker). His account of things past, i.e. apartheid, and present, i.e. the New South Africa, is an honest account by someone who feels for the pe ...more
Nikki
If you're an Andre Brink fan then this book is a must. I enjoyed his modest visit down memory lane, also being born in South Africa and now living in France felt a lot in common with him. He has meant much to me in my life through his writing.
John Benson
I had read the author's book, A DRY WHITE SEASON, some years ago and quite enjoyed it. This memoir is written very episodically and sometimes it is easy to know who he is writing about, but at other times, it is very hard. I liked how he discussed his views on changing race relations in South Africa throughout his life, his discussion on the influence of his Afrikaans childhood, his views on the arts within South Africa. I was disappointed that he wrote extensively about different women in his l ...more
Arja Salafranca
Firstly, Andre Brink’s words which come at the end of this memoir, “Taking a cue from Rene Magritte, I can now confirm: This is not an autobiography.” Subtitled memoir then, how to classify A Fork in the Road? “These notes are not answers. Attempts, at most. To explain some things, but simply to settle scores.”

This helps explain why there are absences in this book, why you wish there was more explanations. Brink again, “There is a certain sense of propriety in deciding where and when to stop.”
Sean de la Rosa
He confesses that he's not a non-fiction writer, something which I agree with. There were parts of the bio that were a bit dry to plough through, but there were also some beautiful parts that almost had me in tears. I have underestimated Brink. This will be a voice I will be paying attention to.
Liz Wager
Didn't enjoy this as much as I hoped I would
Leo Averbach
The fascinating story of Brink's departure from the Afrikaner world, together with lovely descriptions of Cape Town and Paris.
The book shadows South Africa's progression from apartheid to democracy but the author does not mince his words about the current state of the country.
Ros
Soul searching for a South African 10 years younger and been through it all.
Elfrieda
Loved reading about his life and the influences that shaped his thoughts
Recato Cristiano
One of the best books I have read. Can I add another star?
Myriam Ben Slimane
Myriam Ben Slimane marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Laura Marisdóttir
Laura Marisdóttir marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Dinah Clay
Dinah Clay marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Renate
Renate marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Mary
Mary added it
May 16, 2015
Janlen
Janlen marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Sandrine
Sandrine marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Natalie Conyer
Natalie Conyer marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
André Philippus Brink was a South African novelist. He wrote in Afrikaans and English and was until his retirement a Professor of English Literature at the University of Cape Town.

In the 1960s, he and Breyten Breytenbach were key figures in the Afrikaans literary movement known as Die Sestigers ("The Sixty-ers"). These writers sought to use Afrikaans as a language to speak against the apartheid go
More about André Brink...
A Dry White Season Philida An Instant in the Wind The Other Side of Silence Devil's Valley