Start by marking “Disappearance of God” as Want to Read:
Disappearance of God

Disappearance of God

"Great biblical truths are meant not only for our intellectual acceptance, but for our spiritual health." -Dr. Al Mohler
More faulty information about God swirls around us today than ever before. No wonder so many followers of Christ are unsure of what they really believe in the face of the new spiritual openness attempting to alter unchanging truth.
For centuries the chur
Published May 5th 2009 by The Doubleday Religious Publishing Group (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Disappearance of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disappearance of God

Cornell
Mar 10, 2013 Cornell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book for the simple controversialist. It requires careful consideration of the various issues presented. Being a regular reader of Dr. Mohler, I related with much of what he had written. I couldn't help notice that most of the chapters (like the chapters on Beauty, Emergent Movement, Church Discipline, and Darkness at Noon) were revised and expanded versions of previous blog-posts from the author's personal website.

In the book, Dr. Mohler deals a lot with the dangers of a post-Chr
Lorraine
Apr 15, 2016 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I think this is an excellent book! It was an easy read in the sense that it's not very long, each chapter was short, yet the author still managed to address various issues plaguing the church. Six years after this book was first published, the church is still battling the very things discussed here.

This is the first book from Dr. Mohler that I've ever read as I usually listen to him on The Briefing and various conferences with him as a guest speaker. He is one of the few men we are fortunate to
David Washington
This book was a reasoned look at a couple of different causes for the erosion of the concept and true reality of God. Robert Mohler Jr. takes a look at this cultural shift and nails it in this book.

He begins with encouraging Christians to the urgency of the battle we face by calling for what he calls a theological triage. This is critical in our day and age for as he points out in the book:

We are charged to embrace and teach the comprehensive truthfulness of the Christian faith as revealed in t
Jennifer Defoy
This book just rubbed me the wrong way, and I am a little disappointed as I thought it looked interesting when I read the synopsis.

The author has some valid points, and while I do not agree with many of them I do understand that these are his beliefs and his ideals. To me that is what makes America great, the fact that we all have different beliefs and ideals. However what I didn't like was that this author seems to have no "margin of error" so to speak. I got the feeling that you're either wit
Virginia
A commentary on the influence of the postmodern culture on state of Christianity. The author takes a triage approach to the issues affecting today’s Christian church by prioritizing them into three levels of urgency. First level issues are those that threaten the fundamentals of Christian belief, such as the deity and resurrection of Jesus, justification by faith, sin, and the authority of the Bible. Second level issues are identified as being those on which Christians will disagree, but which d ...more
Clockstein Lockstein
The Disappearance of God by R. Albert Mohler Jr is a stark look at how the church has been transforming into the image of popular culture instead of the other way around. Mohler tackles some tough issues like the emerging church, discipline within the church, and moral relativism. The book has some terrific points, but it felt much like a college lecture. I wanted Mohler to start speaking in layman's terms and create more of a conversation than a lecture. If you can wade through the high languag ...more
Richard
R. Albert Mohler Jr. has written a response to the deterioration of Christianity. In The Disappearance of God Mohler goes on the attack against post-modernism, the Emergent Church and its most prominent spokesman, Brian McLaren.
In the small book, we are privy to a loving reaction to a number of problems found within Church walls. These problems include: lack of teaching on sin, the absence of hell in biblical teaching, why the Emerging Church, under McLaren, is on a dangerous path toward heresy,
Cathleen
In the spirit of transparency, I'll admit that I read some chapters but skimmed others. I do not take issue with the author's approach, but I had selected this book hoping to read about the contemporary church. The author breaks issues into three tiers: doctrines most foundational to the Christian faith (and therefore fixed), doctrines that divide denominations (Christians may disagree, but significant boundaries preclude shared fellowship -- e.g., baptism or women serving as pastors), and doctr ...more
Grace
Jun 18, 2013 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the first few pages, he claims this to be more conversational, yet, without knowledge of certain philosophies Mohler mentions without a brief explanation, the reader could potentially become confused, and it then begins to drag on.

However, I do admit that the book did have some interesting/valid points. Yet, after a while it seemed to more rant against the beliefs Mohler opposes and started to drag along. Overall, it's a book you can learn something from but not from every page.
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Briefly addressing a wide variety of topics – church discipline, the true nature of beauty, hell, the emerging church, the postmodern mind, and others – Mohler encourages thoughtful interaction with and evaluation of the culture in which we live. As usual, Mohler speaks with consistent gospel clarity. While the shortness of the chapters often leave more to be desired, several topics are given a multi-chapter treatment and the result is a solid overview of each issue being discussed.
Kent
Jul 12, 2012 Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pastors, Christians
Mohler does a good job of evaluating current issues facing the church in the light of biblical theology, and he does so with power. Imminently readable, helpful, and sobering, the book puts steel in one's backbone.

The issues he takes on include, but are not limited to, the new understandings of hell, the Emerging Church (and Brian McLaren), Open Theism, and post-modernism. This is no long, mind-numbing tome, either; Mohler communicates much in short, succinct chapters.
Bill Brown
May 10, 2016 Bill Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Al Mohler is one of today's greatest thinkers. In this book one can see the worldview which is dominating secular thinking today. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a good understanding of today's "spirit of the age".
Robert
Jan 23, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Mohler does a wonderful job of encouraging believers in an age of denial and skepticism. I highly recommend this book and any other book by Dr. Mohler.
Jonam
Jonam marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
J. Gary
J. Gary marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Rebecca Edmonds
Rebecca Edmonds marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Benjamin Fleming
Benjamin Fleming marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Anita Ribeiro
Anita Ribeiro marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Allen Patterson
Allen Patterson marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Moosetash
Moosetash marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Faye
Faye rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Luis
Luis rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Marco Lish
Marco Lish marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Reed Stratton
Reed Stratton marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Daniel
Daniel added it
Apr 12, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Jonathan Franzone
Jonathan Franzone marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Josh White
Josh White marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dr. R. Albert Mohler Jr. serves as president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary - the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention and one of the largest seminaries in the world.

Dr. Mohler has been recognized by such influential publications as Time and Christianity Today as a leader among American evangelicals. In fact, Time.com called him the “reigning intellectual of the evangel
More about R. Albert Mohler Jr....