Start by marking “The Clitoral Truth: The Secret World at Your Fingertips” as Want to Read:
The Clitoral Truth: The Secret World at Your Fingertips

The Clitoral Truth: The Secret World at Your Fingertips

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The clitoris has been dismissed, undervalued, unexplored, and misunderstood for hundreds of years, but the truth is out there, and internationally celebrated sex educator Rebecca Chalker has found it. In The Clitoral Truth, Chalker offers the only mainstream, in-depth exploration devoted solely to women's genital anatomy and sexual response. Women readers everywhere--be th ...more
Published March 5th 2002 by Seven Stories Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Clitoral Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clitoral Truth

Heather
Jan 10, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
This book is interesting in that it tells you how the female anatomy develops from conception and shows that much more than what is thought of conventionally as "the clit" makes up the clitoral system: hello 'taint! It also shows the ways in which male and female sexual organs are related anatomically, which, to me is very interesting. Anyway, if you're into sexuality and understanding the human anatomy and how to give or have better orgasms, then this book has value.

Unfortunately that is only
Jeffrey
Rebecca Chalker's establishes an avowedly feminist viewpoint in her manifesto on women's sexuality, a combination of history, anatomy, and self-help, intended to empower women to realize their own sexual potential.

Had I read it when it was published in the summer of 2000, I would have thought her militant anti-patriarchal viewpoint quaint. I would have thought it a product of my mother's generation (which she is) and having just been through eight years of a Democratic presidency and increasing
Dominique
Mar 19, 2012 Dominique rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminist, pop-science
Loved it. A friend/lover recommended this to me and I was excited to find it at my library. It was very informative with its scientific facts, myth busting and walk through of women's anatomy.

The best part about this book was that it encouraged a healthy image of one's sexual self. I felt a tinge of liberation after finishing this book. No shame masturbation, or kinks, or whatever floats your fancies. Sex is a wonderful and essential (beyond species survival) part of life, after all! In fact, w
HeavyReader
Jun 21, 2007 HeavyReader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the clitoris
This book absolutely ROCKS! If you want to learn more about the clitoris (and who doesn't?), read this book.
Kelly Hurlbut
Jan 30, 2014 Kelly Hurlbut rated it really liked it
Very informative book on feminist theory and the lost history of the clitoris. Diagrams the clitoris better then any book I have read to date. This book is designed to help women break out of the stereotypical male view of sex.
katemfs
Jul 23, 2011 katemfs rated it really liked it
A great read! Really, truly. There are parts that feel outdated (it's nearly 10 years after it's original publishing), but these are easily overlooked (and that may just be my reader bias peeking out).

There were some gems that are good for debate and reflection, like: "Sex- how we think about it and how we do it- has changed more in the last three decades than it has in the last four or five thousand years."

I mean, yes. We "know" that. But it's incredible to really sit with that, and take in the
Rachel
May 29, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Lynn Vannucci
"An orgasm is like an anchovy,she says, little, long, and very salty." Or, if you prefer, "an exploding watermelon." Chalker is all about sensation - an important book.
Lynn Vannucci
Tim Jones
Feb 05, 2008 Tim Jones rated it it was amazing
Excellent and highly informative on the true anatomy of the female sex system. Every person should read this book.
James
Jun 26, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
:) Educational, inspiring, unflinchingly feminist. I learned a lot, agreed with just about all of it I think.
Olivia
Oct 02, 2009 Olivia marked it as to-read
Yes! Yes! Bathroom reading-thanks Badger.
GT
Mar 28, 2014 GT rated it really liked it
Enlightening read!
Lisa
Aug 03, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I own this
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Lulu Nzalalila
Lulu Nzalalila marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Candy
Candy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Seanbob Kelly
Seanbob Kelly rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2016
Belal
Belal marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Otek Nonso
Otek Nonso is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Bree Crenshaw
Bree Crenshaw marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Aaron Downey
Aaron Downey marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Nand
Nand rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Mei
Mei marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Mike Huber
Mike Huber marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
  • Anal Pleasure & Health: A Guide for Men and Women
  • The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex: The Most Complete Sex Manual Ever Written
  • Female Ejaculation and the G-Spot: Not Your Mother's Orgasm Book!
  • The Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Women
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • The New Bottoming Book
  • The Big Bang: A Guide to the New Sexual Universe
  • SM 101: A Realistic Introduction
  • The Whole Lesbian Sex Book: A Passionate Guide for All of Us
  • New Topping Book
  • Exhibitionism for the Shy
  • The Ultimate Guide to Fellatio: How to Go Down on a Man and Give Him Mind-Blowing Pleasure
  • Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving
  • For Yourself: The Fulfillment of Female Sexuality (Revised and Updated)
  • The Technology of Orgasm: "Hysteria," the Vibrator, and Women's Sexual Satisfaction
  • A Hand in the Bush: The Fine Art of Vaginal Fisting