The Clitoral Truth: The Secret World at Your Fingertips

The Clitoral Truth: The Secret World at Your Fingertips

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The clitoris has been dismissed, undervalued, unexplored, and misunderstood for hundreds of years, but the truth is out there, and internationally celebrated sex educator Rebecca Chalker has found it. In The Clitoral Truth, Chalker offers the only mainstream, in-depth exploration devoted solely to women's genital anatomy and sexual response. Women readers everywhere--be th...more
Published March 5th 2002 by Seven Stories Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Clitoral Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clitoral Truth

Heather
This book is interesting in that it tells you how the female anatomy develops from conception and shows that much more than what is thought of conventionally as "the clit" makes up the clitoral system: hello 'taint! It also shows the ways in which male and female sexual organs are related anatomically, which, to me is very interesting. Anyway, if you're into sexuality and understanding the human anatomy and how to give or have better orgasms, then this book has value.

Unfortunately that is only...more
Jeffrey
Rebecca Chalker's establishes an avowedly feminist viewpoint in her manifesto on women's sexuality, a combination of history, anatomy, and self-help, intended to empower women to realize their own sexual potential.

Had I read it when it was published in the summer of 2000, I would have thought her militant anti-patriarchal viewpoint quaint. I would have thought it a product of my mother's generation (which she is) and having just been through eight years of a Democratic presidency and increasing...more
HeavyReader
Jun 21, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the clitoris
This book absolutely ROCKS! If you want to learn more about the clitoris (and who doesn't?), read this book.
Kelly Hurlbut
Very informative book on feminist theory and the lost history of the clitoris. Diagrams the clitoris better then any book I have read to date. This book is designed to help women break out of the stereotypical male view of sex.
Dominique
Loved it. A friend/lover recommended this to me and I was excited to find it at my library. It was very informative with its scientific facts, myth busting and walk through of women's anatomy.

The best part about this book was that it encouraged a healthy image of one's sexual self. I felt a tinge of liberation after finishing this book. No shame masturbation, or kinks, or whatever floats your fancies. Sex is a wonderful and essential (beyond species survival) part of life, after all! In fact, w...more
katemfs
A great read! Really, truly. There are parts that feel outdated (it's nearly 10 years after it's original publishing), but these are easily overlooked (and that may just be my reader bias peeking out).

There were some gems that are good for debate and reflection, like: "Sex- how we think about it and how we do it- has changed more in the last three decades than it has in the last four or five thousand years."

I mean, yes. We "know" that. But it's incredible to really sit with that, and take in the...more
Rachel
Lynn Vannucci
"An orgasm is like an anchovy,she says, little, long, and very salty." Or, if you prefer, "an exploding watermelon." Chalker is all about sensation - an important book.
Lynn Vannucci
Tim Jones
Excellent and highly informative on the true anatomy of the female sex system. Every person should read this book.
James
:) Educational, inspiring, unflinchingly feminist. I learned a lot, agreed with just about all of it I think.
Olivia
Oct 02, 2009 Olivia marked it as to-read
Yes! Yes! Bathroom reading-thanks Badger.
GT
Enlightening read!
Lisa
Aug 03, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I own this
Dawn Serra
Dawn Serra marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Jason
Jason added it
Aug 30, 2014
Arianna Wolfe
Arianna Wolfe marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Nobody
Nobody marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Jessica Harmon
Jessica Harmon marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Basanth
Basanth marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Missy84
Missy84 marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Chesspalomino
Chesspalomino marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Lalit Kumar
Lalit Kumar marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Woman's Book of Choices: Abortion, Menstrual Extraction, RU-486 Overcoming Bladder Disorders: Compassionate, Authoritative, Medical and Self-Help Solutions for The Complete Cervical Cap Guide Momentum: Making Waves in Sexuality, Feminism, & Relationships Momentum: Making Waves in Sexuality, Feminism, & Relationships