Start by marking “A Date You Can't Refuse” as Want to Read:
A Date You Can't Refuse

A Date You Can't Refuse (Wollie Shelley Mystery #4)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Serial dater and greeting-card artist Wollie Shelley goes undercover in a media-training company suspected of video piracy, but when a dead body appears on the company’s property, she’s caught up in a conspiracy that goes way beyond some stolen DVDs.

Wollie Shelley isn’t happy about taking the job as a “social coach” at MediaRex, but the FBI makes her an offer she can’t ref
Published April 21st 2009 by Broadway Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Date You Can't Refuse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Date You Can't Refuse

Lorie
A great vacation read. This is a fun, humorous series about a greeting card designer in Hollywood who gets herself into lots of predicatments with her pseudo detective work. If you like Janet Evanovich, try this series.
Katie
Fun finale to this small series of mysteries. They were definitely more on the frivolous side, but I enjoyed the heroine so much and found her so relatable, I just had to keep picking up the next book in line.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
I enjoyed the characters in this book. I like Wollie a lot but I really liked Yuri and the group of people she was working with. And the murderer surprised me. I didn't want it to be any of them.
Lisa
Kozak's books are always fun with interesting characters, and I do mean characters. Sure there are dead bodies and tension but things never get too dark.
Ann
I have absolutely loved this mystery series and am sad she is done writing about Wollie and her antics. Smart and funny! Now if I could find my own Simon!
Lisa
Couldn't wait for this one to be released. It telegraphed a bit more than the other two books with a nice, neat little twist on the end.
Re
Fantastic ! The BEST yet ! I've enjoyed all four of her books, and leading up to this one - - what a surprise !! GREAT fun read !!!
Suzanne
My favorite so far of the Wollie mysteries. A cast of strange characters from Eastern Europe and several subplots keep the story lively.
Sharon

A fun, lighthearted read. I'll be reading more Wollie Shelley mysteries.
Tori
PLEASE tell me there's another one after this! Loved it!!
~Tori
Laurie
I love this series. I hope this isn't the last one!
David Kubicek
A Date You Can’t Refuse is the fourth installment of Harley Jane Kozak’s mysteries involving Wollie Shelley, who is described on the back cover copy as a “serial dater,” presumably because she often ends up dating Mr. Wrong.

Writing is a second career for Kozak, who grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska. Her first career is in acting. Born Susan Jane Kozak she took her stage name from the motorcycle and began her career on a soap opera and eventually appeared in such A-list movies as Arachnophobia and Par
Jessica
A Date you Can't Refuse is about a graphic artist named Wollie Shelley who is innocently serving jury duty when she gets recruited into a questionable business opportunity. Yuri Milos is the head of this operation and is quite insistent that Wollie be the one he hire. Meanwhile the FBI is requesting that she work for them as a cooperating witness so they may find out more about this questionable business. Let me start by saying that I'm not a big mystery fan but decided to pick up this book base ...more
Coral
I like this author's writing style, her quirky humour and heroine Wollie. Read the books in order.
Extract:
"Since you don't yet have a contract for this comic book project, it's not income-producing. Nor is your greeting card business giving you a living wage."
"Yes, thank you for pointing that out."
"You need a job. Have you any other prospects?"
"No. Work for some Belarusian entrepreneur with three wives and become a secret agent for you. That's it."
"Cooperating witness."
"Yes. CW," I said. "That's
Marlyn
The fourth Wollie Shelley mystery finds our heroine taking a job as a spy. No, really.
It all begins with jury duty. After the trial, the defendant offers Wollie a job as a "social coach" for foreign celebrities. Although she feels uncomfortable with the whole concept, she accepts because the salary is exceptional and she needs the money. Then an FBI colleague of Simon's asks her to spy on her new employer, and she can't think of a way to say "no".

When she finds out that the previous "social coac
Heather
A Date You Can't Refuse is the fourth book in the series about greeting card entrepreneur, Wollie Shelley. Although this can be a stand-alone book, I recommend reading the other three first just to get the background, and because they're pretty good. This one was by far my favorite of the series so far.
Wollie takes a job as a "social coach" for up-and-coming stars from other countries, although she's actually cooperating with the FBI spying on the agency she works for. She soon realizes that the
Jill Bratcher
The fourth installment of series featuring Wollie Shelley, off-beat greeting card designer left me angry with Harley Jane Kozak! You know it must be good when the reader gets that emotionally involved, right?

I was mad because I knew there wasn't another Wollie book forthcoming I the near future because I read that Harley is writing an international political thriller at the moment. And she left us (and Wollie)hanging!

This time out, we find Wollie sort of living with G-man Simon in his extravaga
Mark Baker
Dating expert Wollie Shelley takes a job for a private company attempting to teach their trainees how to interact well socially. But she's also trying to find out information on the company for the FBI. Is she in over her head? This book hooked me early on and didn't let me go. The pace was great and the humor added to the fun.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Amber
An interesting selection by my book club this month. I'd never heard of the author/series beforehand, so I went into this with no expectations. All in all, it was a fun, light, easy read. No heavy thinking required. The characters are well-defined and unique, which I enjoyed. I didn't enjoy the plot, though - the lead character seems to happen into peculiar situations as opposed to being an actual sleuth. Like, when someone writes a message in Russian in your lip pencil on a mirror, don't you ru ...more
Jessica
Picked this up of the mystery table at the library. It was a fun idea: girl who is desperate for a job is asked to help famous immigrants transition into American society by being a "date" for them. She is also asked by the FBI to spy on her employers. I liked the main character but felt like the whole book was spent driving around the city, and losing people. Overall there were no plot twists and turns and it was a disappointment.
Victoria
I liked this book the most out of the four. I liked how the main character has developed and changed from the "loser" she started out to be. In this book, she was courageous in her own way and much more competent. There were more fun characters in this book as well. Wollie is definitely a fun character. I'm sorry that there are no more books in the series.
Joanne
Skimmable mystery where Wollie goes undercover with the FBI (really?) to investigate a possible arms dealer. Or maybe he's into video piracy. Or maybe he's responsible for the murder of the last assistant...

Wollie's an enjoyable character. Her love life is tedious.
Elaine Lautzenheiser
Best Wollie book by far! Am very sad there are no more Wollie books to read. Entertaining and quirky characters... Interesting plot twists kept me turning pages. Wollie never disappoints me...
Susan
As usual, I feel guilty about how I rate the books in this series, but they are very funny. Greeting-card artist Wollie Shelley isn’t happy about taking a job as a “social coach” at a media-training company run by a suspicious group of Eastern Europeans, but the FBI makes her an offer she can’t refuse. So she agrees to go undercover teaching foreign celebrities American dating customs. However, when a dead body is found on the company’s property, she’s caught up in a conspiracy that takes her en ...more
Nikki
Harley Jane Kozak's Wollie Shelley series keeps getting better and better. A DATE YOU CAN'T REFUSE, the latest installment in the dating adventures of greeting-card artist Wollie Shelley, is the best yet. The humor and Tinseltown atmosphere are still there, but Kozak has added elements of espionage, a little Ludlumesque paranoia, and further developments in Wollie's personal life. This was a true page-turner for me and I devoutly hope we haven't really seen Wollie ride off into the sunset, as su ...more
Patty Allen
I enjoyed this book. It had several layers of stories intertwined. The book was funny and suspenseful at the same time.
Rebecca
Book four of Wollie's story. As usual, Wollie is in way over her head and manages to surprise everyone with her tenacity!

This time she is a coach to foreign stars and the heavyweight boxer is my favorite...although he ends up unconscious alot of the time thanks to Wollie. That's my girl. The mystery is top notch and kept me guessing the whole way through. The tie up with Wollie and Simon is the only thing I wasn't keen on...felt forced. But a minor blip on this great series.

Fans of Stephanie Pl
PS
Light, Humorous, Chicklit.... Entertating.
Debbie
Not as good as #2 and #3 but not bad either.
  • Lucky Stiff (Lucky O'Toole #2)
  • Gone to the Dogs
  • Quick Study (A Murder 101 Mystery #3)
  • A Dose of Murder (Pauline Sokol, #1)
  • Not One Clue (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #6)
  • Bubbles Ablaze (Bubbles Yablonsky, #3)
  • Flat Crazy (A Blanco County Mystery #3)
  • Death of a Domestic Diva (A Stain-busting Mystery, #1)
  • Resurrection Road (Bay Tanner, #5)
  • The Book Stops Here (Mobile Library Mystery, #3)
  • Dial Emmy for Murder (Soap Opera Mystery, #2)
  • Missing Mark (Riley Spartz, #2)
  • It's a Mod, Mod, Mod, Mod Murder (Murder a-Go-Go, #1)
  • The Hearse Case Scenario (Hitchcock Sewell Mysteries, #3)
  • Killer Blonde (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #3)
  • Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • Thrilled to Death (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #5)
  • Swift Justice (A Charlie Swift Mystery #1)
Harley Jane Kozak is an American actress and author. She was born Susan Jane Kozak in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Dorothy (Taraldsen), a university music teacher, and Joseph Aloysius Kozak, an attorney. She was raised in Nebraska and attended New York University.

Kozak has written four novels: Dating Dead Men (2004), Dating Is Murder : A Novel (2005), Dead Ex (2007), and A Date You
More about Harley Jane Kozak...

Wollie Shelley Mystery (4 books)
  • Dating Dead Men
  • Dating is Murder
  • Dead Ex
Dating Dead Men Dating is Murder Dead Ex Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2) Date You Can't Refuse, A