Start by marking “Near Death on the High Seas Near Death on the High Seas Near Death on the High Seas” as Want to Read:

"The wind was blowing at hurricane strength-sixty-five knots and over-and increasing in the gusts to eighty knots. His boat was surfing on waves as high as a sixty-foot, six-storey building. . .Eachwave that struck choked and froze him, the icy water working its way down inside his survival suit." -from "Close to the Wind" by Pete Goss
In "Near Death onthe High Seas," Ceci
eBook, 240 pages
Published March 11th 2008 by Vintage Books USA (first published January 1st 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Near Death on the High Seas Near Death on the High Seas Near Death on the High Seas

Alex Telander
The sense of adventure is one facet of humanity, and while some choose to ignore it, others indulge in it: dabbling with the dangerous, playing with the portentous, and facing their fears. Near Death on the High Seas is a collection of real life stories about people who strive for thrill and adventure, through the medium they love: a boat and the open sea.

The book opens with an inspiring Foreword from the late William F. Buckley Jr.. Then the first story begins simply about a man and his boat. H
Mark
Dec 04, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
This collection of excerpts and short stories is the perfect ‘extreme nautical sampler’ and an excellent addition to any outdoor enthusiast’s book shelf. They are all about those who go to sea in small sailing boats.

Because the stories are penned first hand, a few are merely competently written but several are breathtaking. Some are excerpts from books and may pique the reader’s interest to learn the larger story of an exceptional sailor or dramatic race.

While words fail to convey the struggle,
Patti
Jun 17, 2013 Patti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy books about ships, but found this one to be simply "OK". It was mostly about people who have done solo races across the seas, although not all were solo. Some of the stories I found interesting, and some not so interesting. The fact that it took me months to finish it tells me that It was not as interesting as I would have liked. However, I did finally finish it!
Monica
Read the first three stories in here. Two of them were profound, one was fairly dull. I'd like to read more but, as I see that some are excerpts from longer books (such as Fastnet, Force 10), I'd rather read the whole book. I did write down the names of the authors of the first two stories, though, and will seek out their longer works.
Huan-hua
Aug 27, 2008 Huan-hua rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Too much nautical terminology, too many similar-sounding stories. "All happy families are alike" and apparently so, too, are all stories about getting lost at sea and almost drowning. The only one that really caught my attention was Kon-Tiki, which I've read before in its entirety.
Julie
Jan 30, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I just love this stuff. Wonder what it really feels like to be on a 50-foot wave in a wooden boat in the literal middle of the ocean.
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Jim George
Nov 28, 2010 Jim George rated it liked it
Mother Nature can be scary.
Old Salt
Old Salt rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2014
John
John rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2008
Anne Clougherty
Anne Clougherty rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Pangregor
Pangregor rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Ronald
Ronald rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Ron Alpert
Ron Alpert rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2009
Jeff Quiane
Jeff Quiane rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Jess
Jess added it
Apr 08, 2009
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2009
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2010
Cate
Cate marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2012
Kate Shea
Kate Shea marked it as to-read
May 24, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
Andie
Andie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Kate Doom
Kate Doom marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Sherilyn Renee
Sherilyn Renee marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Natalie Dow
Natalie Dow marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Jolissa Baker
Jolissa Baker marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Skyfer
Skyfer marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015