Start by marking “Blue Shadows Farm: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Blue Shadows Farm: A Novel

Blue Shadows Farm: A Novel

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  15 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Fans of Jerry Apps will delight in his latest novel, Blue Shadows Farm, which follows the intriguing family story of three generations on a Wisconsin farm.
Silas Starkweather, a Civil War veteran, is drawn to Wisconsin and homesteads 160 acres in Ames County, where he is known as the mysterious farmer forever digging holes. After years of hardship and toil, however, Silas
Published September 16th 2009 by University of Wisconsin Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Shadows Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Shadows Farm

Michael Stockbridge
Dec 06, 2009 Michael Stockbridge rated it really liked it
Apps is a local wisconsin writer, whom grew up on a farm and writes about farm life, whether it be in his novels or personal accounts.

I enjoyed this book as it runs thru a multi-generational period of farm life in Wisconsin during the period of 1865-2000. The characters are portrayed in a way where you get to know them but not completely, there is always one secret you don't find out til the end. Keeps you guessing why Silas Starkweather first ventured to Wisconsin to begin farm life.

My favori
Natalie
Feb 28, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
The main character in "Blue Shadows Farm" is the farm itself. The people who inhabited the farm are sort of side characters that just help the story along some. None of them were very admirable (some less then others), and I had a hard time liking them. I tend to be a very character driven reader. If I like the characters in a book it is much easier for me to like the book. I know that the weak human characters in this book are what inspire me to give this a 3.5 star rating.

There were several t
Patti
Feb 08, 2010 Patti rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable read about the multi-generational life of a farm and community in Wisconsin. Within the story, Jerry Apps includes both sides of the debate about the need for kids to spend time outside living with and observing nature vs learning about it virtually. As previous readers of his books would expect, Apps comes down on the side of nothing can replace the real experience and the wonder of unexpected sightings and interactions out in the woods and meadows.

This book is also a cele
Kasey
Jan 21, 2011 Kasey rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-books
An enjoyable, easy read. I found it particularily interesting being from Wisconsin and also that my brother's farm is very near the fictional area in the book. It was a little aggrevating reading through the book trying to figure out what the big mystery was, but on the other hand, it wasn't something obvious that I figured out right away either. So realistic, it's hard to remember the story is fiction.
Carol
May 22, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing
I heard the author on NPR recently so decided to give his first novel a try. While his writing style reflects his educator background, I did enjoy the story and characters. I recommend this as a perfect book to snuggle up with during the winter months.
Delafieldlib
Feb 15, 2010 Delafieldlib rated it it was amazing
turn of the century saga of rural WI farm life from the mid 1800's to present; has an element of a mystery to solve that connects the past to the present.
Jo Ann Dawson
Jo Ann Dawson marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Dianne Robbins
Dianne Robbins marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Maia
Maia marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Luann
Luann rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Wisbison
Wisbison rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Linda Johnson
Linda Johnson marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
April
April added it
Jun 11, 2015
Cheryle
Cheryle is currently reading it
May 14, 2015
Natalie Gaba
Natalie Gaba marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Shelly Barnes-mumm
Shelly Barnes-mumm marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Marie Boleman
Marie Boleman rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Joel
Joel is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Laura Reading
Laura Reading marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Coleman Breunig
Coleman Breunig rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2013
Lorahl
Lorahl rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Grant Vice
Grant Vice marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2012
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2012
Jerold W. Apps, born and raised on a Wisconsin farm, is Professor Emeritus at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the author of more than 30 books, many of them on rural history and country life. His nonfiction books include: Living a Country Year, Every Farm Tells a Story, When Chores Were Done, Humor from the Country, Country Ways and Country Days, One-Room Schools, Cheese, Breweries of Wisc ...more
More about Jerry Apps...