Start by marking “Rescuing Seneca Crane” as Want to Read:
Rescuing Seneca Crane

Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  49 reviews
When Kari and Lucas first see Seneca Crane up on stage, playing the piano in front of hundreds of people, they are in awe. She is beautiful. She is amazingly talented. And she is only thirteen! But then they get to know her at the Edinburgh Arts Festival and realize that she envies them. Soon the three are becoming friends . . .until Seneca disappears. There's no stopping...more
Published August 20th 2009 by Viking Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rescuing Seneca Crane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rescuing Seneca Crane

I was privileged to be provided with an advanced readers copy from the publisher. This novel is the follow-up to the Third Lucretia, once again featuring the sleuth fighting 14 year olds, Kari and her best friend Lucas. The entire novel takes place within one week and centers upon their friendship with a piano prodigy, Seneca. The setting of this one takes place in Edinburg, Scotland, where Kari’s mother follows them. They are in Edinburg for the Orchestra festival in which their friend Seneca i...more
Linda B
BookDescription
When Kari and Lucas first see Seneca Crane up on stage, playing the piano in front of hundreds of people, they are in awe. She is beautiful. She is amazingly talented. And she is only thirteen! But then they get to know her at the Edinburgh Arts Festival and realize that she envies them. Soon the three are becoming friends . . .until Seneca disappears. There’s no stopping Kari and Lucas from jumping on the trail and tracking her down. Even when it leads to the heart of the Scottis...more
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Kari and Lucas from The Mystery of the Third Lucretia are back for another international mystery. This time they are in Scotland where Kari’s Mom has an assignment interviewing a teen prodigy - a touring pianist all of 15 years old.

Kari and Lucas are excited to meet the famous Seneca Crane. Yes, she’s beautiful. Yes, she’s talented. Yes she’s traveled all over the world…but Seneca turns out to be just a normal kid who happens to have mad piano skills.

Seneca reveals the disciplined life she leads...more
Kat
I really liked the first book in the Kari & Lucas mystery series, The Mystery of the Third Lucretia. It was one of those books that held my interest the entire time I was reading it. This second book, however, failed to really grab me. I think because I was able to figure out the mystery pretty early on in the book, before the crime even happened. What I liked about the first book is that it kept me guessing.

Kari and Lucas, once again, come to the rescue and solve a mystery all on their own....more
Wendy Hines
Kari and Lucas are staying in Edinburgh, Scotland with Kari’s mom. She writes for a magazine that wants her to do a piece on Seneca Crane. Seneca is only fifteen years old but a renowned concert pianist.

Kari and Lucas spend some time with Seneca and the three quickly become friends. They are glad that Seneca is just a normal girl like them without any celebrity airs. But when Seneca talks about her life, she says she isn't normal. She doesn't have a life; she has a schedule. With that in mind, K...more
Robert Kent
Do you like a good mystery, Esteemed Reader? A hint of danger and some heart-pounding adventure? Unless you have some sort of special heart condition or a neurological disorder, I’ll assume that you do. And therefore you are going to love Susan Runholt’s Kari + Lucas Mysteries. The ninja loves them and is looking forward to future additions.

So we’re going to change things up a little bit this week. Instead of reviewing one book, I’m going to review two books in one post. Why? Well, I don’t revie...more
Barb Middleton
Kari is tired of hearing her best friend Lucas talk obsessively about her boyfriend, Mr. Makes Me Want to Gag. Kari and Lucas are traveling to Scotland with Kari’s mom, a magazine reporter, who is interviewing Seneca, a teenage pianist prodigy. They make friends with Seneca who is kidnapped after a concert. Thus begins the mystery where the two unravel the clues to figure out Seneca’s kidnappers. Along the way Lucas rethinks her relationship with her boyfriend and Kari discovers she’s not as cow...more
Caitlin
I pretty much inhaled this book, the second in the Kari & Lucas mysteries due out in August. I was enjoying it so much, in fact, that I read it through eating my lunch & then sat in Snow Park across from my work & finished it before going back inside. It was very pleasant, but then I had to find something to read on the BART on the way home. Fortunately, my floor at work has a small lending library & I scrounged something to keep me company on my way home.

I love these books! The...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Andrea for TeensReadToo.com

Kari and Lucas love to solve mysteries and continue to do so in this second novel.

Seneca Crane is a thirteen-year-old piano player. But she's not just a normal piano-playing teenager - she's world famous! Kari and Lucas are in awe of her, but when they meet Seneca at a festival, they realize how jealous Seneca is of their normal life. Soon after they become friends, Seneca disappears, and it's up to Kari and Lucas to find her.

This was another great book in...more
Lisa
I really, really hope Susan Runholt keeps writing (if she wants to).

I'm giving this book, the second in Runholt's Kari & Lucas mystery series, five stars both because it was enjoyable and also because I really don't think the series should have been taken out of print!

The first book in the Kari & Lucas series, The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (which I think was also Runholt's first published novel), came out in 2008. It had its flaws--some of the events were just too unbelievable--but...more
Carolyn
Rebecca
I picked this up because it's partly set on the Isle of Skye, which is one of my favorite places, and because it's a mystery, a favorite genre. I actually tried to read the first book in this series, Mystery of the Third Lucretia, but just couldn't get into it for some reason. Reading this one, I think it might be that it just feels a little off in the characterization--as if the author is trying to think like a teenager but make the book appropriate for younger kids and also get a few messages...more
Lauren
I liked this better then The Mystery of the Third Lucretia - Scotland, a piano prodigy, a kidnapping - what more could you want in a mystery. I love the fact that they solve mysteries all over the world. First Paris, France - then Edinburgh, Scotland. Looking forward to the next one, the only thing that kind of annoys me is the "meep". I understand they want to code a curse word around adults, but the average 13+ will curse normally when not around adults. They could've used a non-curse word lik...more
Sandra Stiles
My students who say they love reading a mystery will love this book. Kari and her best friend Lucas are off on the adventure of a lifetime to Edinburgh, Scotland. Kari’s mother has the pleasure of interviewing the child piano prodigy Seneca Crane, for the magazine she works for. Kari and Lucas had gone to see Seneca when she play with the Minnesota Orchestra. They learn several things about Seneca. First her parents are domineering, second she is very lonely, and third, she can seem to fit their...more
Phoebe
Runholt's second novel about her two 14-year-old sleuths, this time visiting Edinborough and befriending a 15-year-old piano prodigy, Seneca Crane. When Seneca is abducted during the intermission of one of her concerts, Lucas and Kari find themselves quite alone, unable to contact Kari's mother, (who is on an excursion to Inverness)and possibly in great danger from Seneca's stepfather and her tutor. They plan and execute a daring, edge-of-the-seat rescue pretty much on their own. My two quoibles...more
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
The second book in the Kari + Lucas Mystery Series (The first book being "The Mystery of the Third Lucretia") and it doesn't disappoint. This time their adventures are set in Scotland. There they travel around the country, following clues to try to rescue their friend, Seneca Crane.

It is great to see a book written for girls at that difficult tween age and it be about something more than just boys, dating, and other superficial things. Kari and Lucas are smart, innovative girls who use their wi...more
Andrea
3.5 out of 5 rating

This was another great book in the Kari & Lucas Mystery series. Once again, I think Kari and Lucas are great and strong female young adult characters and would be good role models for tweens.

I liked this story better than the first book, The Mystery of the Third Lucretia. I liked having Seneca as a character. She felt real and is another great female character. I think this book would be more interesting to tweens since it deals with a kidnapping and a celebrity instead of...more
Josianne Fitzgerald
A YA novel without a love triangle. Just for tht I liked it, but there was quite a bit to enjoy: the strong girl characters, the exotic location, the puzzle. Fun. Definitely recommendable to YAs.
Elizabeth
Second young adult novel by Susan Runholt that I've read - and I enjoyed this one just as much. Very well researched - it's like reading a travellogue. I really want to go visit Scotland again! I like the feel that Ms. Runholt has for young girls' dialogue. I also appreciate how she balances the girls friendships and their growing interest in boys. It's like watching the daughters of a friend grow.
The mystery itself is well plotted and believable for fiction. Though I am curious as to how these...more
Loretta
I loved reading this book! The descriptions of the daily life situations and behind the scenes operations of the orchestra brought me right back to the day when I worked in the administration of The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra. Suddenly all the sounds, sights and yes "audience energy" were all instantly brought back to me.

And I've never been to Scotland but I feel that that I could identify the towns, the castle, the cafes and even train stops just by Susan Runholt's written descriptions alone...more
Sps
Yay! For Red Blazer Girls fans.
Gwen the Librarian
Kari and Lucas are at it again - while traveling in Scotland, they become friends with a teenage classical pianist, Seneca Crane. After a major performance, Seneca is kidnapped! Kari and Lucas are hot on her trail and get into several scrapes while figuring out how to save Seneca.

Satisfying sequel to Mystery of the Third Lucretia. This is a very nice new series for preteens and young teens.
Kaye
Second in the series. This adventure has Lucas and Kari meeting a concert pianist in Edinburgh Scotland, just before she is kidnapped. Of course the two set out to rescue her. Pretty straight forward mystery. Still love the location information and the teens actions are realistic and believable. Enjoyed the first book slightly more but will look for more of these. For 12 and up.
Shiela
These are so cute!! There isn't much to the mystery but its really refreshing to see strong young female characters doing something other than dreaming of boys (although there is a bit of that). Once again, Runholt has the voice of a teenager down pat and I love the travel aspect of this series.

Great series for young mystery readers.
Emmet O'Neal Library- Children's Department
Kari and Lucas returns for another thrilling mystery. This time it involves a kidnapping of a new friend, Seneca Crane, a thirteen year old piano prodigy. As they travel all over the Scottish highlands, they have to rescue their friend and even save themselves along the way. A perfect sequel to the Kari + Lucas Mystery Series.
WCPL Teens
Kari and her best friend Lucas are super excited to meet the famous teen pianist Seneca Crane. They're even more excited when they get to hang out with her and sightsee in Scotland. They quickly become friends, but Seneca is suddenly kidnapped after a performance. Convinced she's left them a clue, Kari and Lucas set out to find her.
Karen
Kari and her friend Lucas are updated Nancy Drews. The mystery is pretty transparent from the start, but the setting and situations are colorful enough to hold a reader's interest (a storm-ridden night, a half-restored Scottish castle, a budding friendship between the girls and a bi-racial pianist). For 6th, 7th, 8th graders.
Trudy
Rescuing Seneca Crane is a very entertaining YA mystery. Best girlfriends Kari and Lucas (yes, Lucas is a girl) embark on another perilous international adventure in order to save their friend Seneca Crane. Clues from an unlikely eye-witness lead these resourceful girls into the very teeth of a dangerous storm.
Peggy
Rare in that it appeals to a young teen audience 11-14 yrs crowd but without the sex, violence, and angst usually found in teen novels. Just PURE PLAIN FUN!!!! I've recommended this to many girls this age and they ALL love it! I love it too. 2nd in series by St. Paul author.
Johnny Bennett
At one level this book is a lot like the first in the series. But it ends up being quite different. Still fairly predictable as you read it but the characters have a different flavor while still remaining true to what they were defined as in the first book.
  • The Vanishing Violin (The Red Blazer Girls, #2)
  • The Key (The Magnificent 12, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wedding Crasher (Sammy Keyes, #13)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • Time's Daughter
  • Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls
  • The Mask of Destiny (Billionaire, #3)
  • Escape from Shadow Island (Max Cassidy, #1)
  • Jackie's Jokes (Sisters Eight, #4)
  • I So Don't Do Mysteries
  • Special Delivery (Main Street, #8)
  • A Stir of Bones (Red Heart of Memories, # 0.5)
The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1) The Adventure at Simba Hill (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #3) Rescuing Seneca Crane (A Kari and Lucas Mystery)