Start by marking “A Small Sacrifice” as Want to Read:
A Small Sacrifice

A Small Sacrifice (Jane Lawless #5)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  228 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A crime thriller featuring investigator Jane Lawless, in which Jane's best friend Cordelia accepts an invitation to a college reunion, and animosities and jealousies from the past begin to resurface when one of the group is murdered. From the author of STAGE FRIGHT.
Unknown Binding
Published June 1st 1996 by Not Avail (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Small Sacrifice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Small Sacrifice

Kathleen Hagen
A Small Sacrifice, by Ellen Hart, a-minus, Narrated by Aimee Jolson, Produced by audible inc., downloaded from audible.com.

In this, the fifth in the Jane Lawless series, Cordelia is going to a small town in Wisconsin where one of her oldest friends, from college theater days, is producing plays in a refurbished church turned into a theater. She is invited by another close friend of theirs from those days who insists that she must come that very weekend. It turns out that the close friends of thi
Spuddie
#5 Jane Lawless mystery, featuring the lesbian restaurateur from Minneapolis. In this book, Jane's friend Cordelia figures more heavily as it involves a group of theatre friends Cordelia has known since college days. The first part of the book takes place in 1972 to provide the backstory, and then moves to 1994 (when the book was written) at a reunion of the group.

Diana, the member who made it the biggest, has bought an old church in a small town in Wisconsin and rehabilitated it into a theatre
Gail
Oct 31, 2008 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Cordelia, Jane Lawless' flamboyant and confident friend and former lover goes to a reunion of friends from college. Twenty years ago they were all young, talented and ready for the future. That is until one of them was arrested. Now twenty years later, they meet again to find that they are successful or not, sober or not, and looking to the future with trepidation and hope. That is until one of them is murdered.

Cordelia snoops around, calling Jane for help. Jane appears for the funeral and ties
Sandy
Jan 16, 2015 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, glbt-lesbian
This series just keeps on getting better and better. The mystery was very good and the there was a deepening of the characters. While this was written in the 90's it is in some ways a precursor of the winds of change now in the 20-teens. It is fun reading stories with gay and lesbian characters, the world around them. This story, one of long standing friends and the lengths they go to save/help one another resonates with many of us bay boomers and mirrors experiences we all had. Looking forward ...more
Teresa
Jan 01, 2011 Teresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book three stars on the plot alone. Other than disclosing the sexual preferences of each of the players, there wasn't much character development. I wish it had been better because the plot was rally fun.
Margery
Jul 26, 2015 Margery rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like this series, and as usual the book is well-written. It didn't really work for me, though, as the resolution of the mystery strained credulity. On the bright side, I already know #6 is better!
Roxy
Jul 27, 2015 Roxy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lezbo-mysteries
Cordelia Thorn is my she-ro! I especially loved this book because it had alot to do with Cordelia!!
Leigh
A Small Sacrifice (A Jane Lawless Mystery) by Ellen Hart (1995)
Monte
Feb 26, 2009 Monte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
OK I love the setting for these stories
Catherine
An easy read, made a bit of a change
Judith Guyot
Nov 10, 2011 Judith Guyot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She the review for "the Iron Girl".
Hermien
Jul 27, 2015 Hermien rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Not my cup of tea.
Brenda Faucon
Brenda Faucon rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Liz
Liz added it
May 22, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Dani Dean
Dani Dean rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Trish Payne
Trish Payne marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
shanay
shanay marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Patty Brower
Patty Brower rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Bryanna Reid
Bryanna Reid rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2016
Robinq
Robinq added it
Mar 14, 2016
Siân
Siân rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Caitlyn
Caitlyn marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
  • Lost Daughters (Micky Knight, #4)
  • Gun Shy (Gun, #1)
  • Molly: House on Fire
  • Liberty Square (Kate Delafield, #5)
  • Lessons in Murder (Carol Ashton Mysteries, #1)
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • Weeping Walls
  • Survived by Her Longtime Companion
  • Credo's Hope
Ellen Hart is the author of twenty-eight crime novels in two different series. She is a five-time winner of the Lambda Literary Award for Best Lesbian Mystery, a three-time winner of the Minnesota Book Award for Best Popular Fiction, a three-time winner of the Golden Crown Literary Award in several categories, a recipient of the Alice B Medal, and was made an official GLBT Literary Saint at the Sa ...more
More about Ellen Hart...

Jane Lawless (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Hallowed Murder (Jane Lawless, #1)
  • Vital Lies (Jane Lawless, #2)
  • Stage Fright (Jane Lawless, #3)
  • A Killing Cure (Jane Lawless, #4)
  • Faint Praise (Jane Lawless, #6)
  • Robber's Wine (Jane Lawless, #7)
  • Wicked Games (Jane Lawless, #8)
  • Hunting the Witch (Jane Lawless, #9)
  • The Merchant of Venus (Jane Lawless, #10)
  • Immaculate Midnight  (Jane Lawless, #11)

“Not that I want to be thin. Heaven forbid. I do not want to take up less space in the world. I should like to take up more...” 5 likes
“I'm one of them gays too.” 1 likes