Start by marking “Sacrifice of Isaac” as Want to Read:
Sacrifice of Isaac

Sacrifice of Isaac

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Luke Benami thought his father, Yossef, was the great man the world said he was: professor, general, Israeli national hero. Luke also thought his brother, Danni, was the prodigal son his family said he was: army deserter, political exile, criminal. But when his father's sudden death compels Luke to return to Israel, he is forced to begin a dangerous investigation into the ...more
Published May 27th 2003 by Penguin Books (first published July 4th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sacrifice of Isaac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacrifice of Isaac

Don
The story the author tells is a fascinating one, a blend of suspense, mystery, Holocaust scholarship, the history of Israel and family tensions. The mystery that is ultimately unravelled ties into the Abraham/Isaac story which provides the title of the book; I suspect that this novel would make a very worthwhile book group selection.

However, the book has some very real flaws. To begin with, it strains credulity that the two principal characters--brothers about 10 years apart in age (one of whom
wanda
It was probably me because there's been a lot going on lately and I was unable to take the time to read straight through. It took close to three weeks of reading off and on and I found it a struggle to finish. It is certainly a well written mystery, but the characters are not connected well enough to follow. I loved Gordon's THE COMPANY YOU KEEP and couldn't wait to read another of his books, but found this one disappointing. Like I said, maybe it was just me.
Sue Tincher
I wasn't real keen on this book about a man uncovering his father's nefarious role in WWII--the characters didn't speak to me, and I was left without a clear understanding of what exactly happened.
Chuck
A young American Jew chases all over western Europe trying to find his estranged brother following their father's death. Intriguing story written by a sophisticated if verbose author.
Lisa
This started out great guns, but fell flat for me about 2/3 of the way through. I now see some other reviewers had the same issue.
Carolyn Feltus-atkinson
Unnecessarily confusing and slow. I often didn't know who was narrating. I didn't finish it.
Nadine
One of my all time favourites. I have read this book three times and keep getting more from it.
Frederic
Convoluted narrative strategies ruin what could have been an excellent novel...
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Dina Mayberry
Dina Mayberry is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Stephen Derek
Stephen Derek marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Wolfgang
Wolfgang is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
Deontae Pharr
Deontae Pharr marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Belinda Swannie
Belinda Swannie marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Nancy Boone
Nancy Boone marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Derrelyn Phelps
Derrelyn Phelps marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Roxie
Roxie marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Caffin
Caffin marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Company You Keep The Gun Runner's Daughter: A Novel You're a Big Girl Now Sacrifice of Issac Blantyre: An Historical A-Z