Start by marking “Ignition City Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Ignition City Volume 1

Ignition City Volume 1

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  565 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Whatever happened to the space heroes? Mary Raven investigates the murder of her father at Ignition City, Earth's last spaceport... a place where rockets belch smoke and arguments are still settled with ray guns!

Grounded space pilot Mary Raven has come to the interzone settlement in the middle of Ignition City, Earth's largest spaceport, to recoved the effects of her dead
Published February 16th 2006 by Avatar Press

To ask other readers questions about Ignition City Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ignition City Volume 1

Jeff
Mary Raven travels to backwater Ignition City to retrieve her late father’s possessions. What she finds is a corrupt town that has plenty of secrets, which include who killed her father and why.

Taking the basic plot points at face value, they could be window dressing for a variety of settings: western, noir, mystery. Here, Warren Ellis takes the steampunk route and creates a compelling story with an assortment of quirky characters, some ugly aliens and a sprinkling of humor. Ignition City is the
Sesana
A sort of science fictiony, wild westish thing that gets by with the absolute minimum in explanations. There's really quite an interesting world here, one that I feel like Ellis put a lot of thought into. But he just sort of throws the reader in and we get by on what we pick up as we go. It would be annoying, if the world didn't feel so cohesive and well-thought out. Otherwise, it's basically a dime-a-dozen action movie. Fun, but nothing particularly novel or that will make it stand out from the ...more
Joel Neff
Vintage Warren Ellis: strong female protagonists, washed up astronauts, alien invasions, laser guns, and poop jokes, all wrapped up in superb visuals from Gianluca Pagliarani and tied together by a plot that, if not brilliantly twisty, is at least not completely by the numbers.

Fantastic story, but make sure to take the time to admire the inventiveness of the art design and colors as well.
Laurel
Feb 03, 2013 Laurel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Think back to all those pulp WWII paintings of smiling girls on the sides of airplanes. Now create an alternate timeline where we went into space, fought worlds on other planets, and met new alien races. Now make those smiling girls into just one badass space chick who has flown around the Universe, but is pulled back to a Casablanca-esque space port to investigate the death of her father. That, my friends, is Ignition City.
Patrick
Amazingly fun book. I bought a dozen copies to give away to friends....
Gemma Thomson
The language is raw and the artwork is gritty, but if there's a better definition of "raypunk" I have yet to find it. Ignition City is a rare combination of dystopia and rayguns, in which rights are wronged by a determined anti-hero rocket pilot. Mary Raven is out for revenge, and she drags her heroes (including the delightfully-named Lightning Bowman) out of their wretched, self-made worlds in order to join her.

This is far removed from the likes of Flash Gordon, and it even sits apart from Rick
Stacey
I loves me some steampunkalicious space spaghetti western. Yessir. (I learned how to spell spaghetti in the 7th grade when it lost me a damn spell-off. I always get a little conflicted when I use it correctly in a sentence.)

Mary Raven is tough, take-no-prisoners, and trying to find out who killed her daddy. There's only one problem – Warren Ellis apparently gets bored.

I love W.E., love his stories, his big ideas (although I wish he'd spend a little more energy on story, and a little less on cr
Ted Child
I read Ellis with some cautiousness, maybe unfairly, as he sometimes rubs me the wrong way. I find Ellis is at his genius best when he is at his least self-conscious as a writer, and maybe more importantly, least self-consciously cool. Coolness is something I have little patience for, in both my friends and my writers, but I feel that Ellis sometimes tries to be that writer and it shows in his final products. Ellis needs to let his skill and imagination dictate his stories, not his ego. I was be ...more
Alan
The rating might be a little high for this book, but Warren Ellis does his best work when he goes to his secret pleasure space oriented science fiction (see Ocean, Orbiter, Switchblade Honey and Ministry of Space). Yes, he falls into some of his bad speech habits here, but the concept works. Take all of the old space heroes (thinly disguised versions of Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Dale Arden, Dr. Zarkov, Commando Cody, etc.) mix in one real life cosmonaut, and banish them to Earth's only operatin ...more
Cornelia
In this dieselpunk/alternative history comic book, washed up, space heroes live in Ignition City, a rough and rowdy settlement cut off from civilization on Earth’s last spaceport. Ignition City has a strong woman for the main character, Mary Raven, a space pilot and daughter of the famous spaceman, who stopped a Martian missile plot. She heads to the spaceport to discover how her father died and who killed him. It has colorful language and a Wild West tone. There are aliens, ray guns, and the ma ...more
Joanna
This was a good space western / gritty alternate history. Mary Raven ranks up there with Oracle and Evey Hammond as one of the most unapologetically strong female lead characters in the world of graphic novels.

The panel art is gorgeous when it comes to some of the battle scenes, and otherwise effective injecting a sense of yellow and brownish hopelessness into the story. It's never subtle, though, it works on a bleak plain of what you see being exactly what you get. And the way that Gayle and Ma
Anna
Issue 1 - I still don't like Warren Ellis' graphic violence. But the story seems catching enough.

Issue 2 - I'm liking this story a lot better with the second issue. I like Mary's character and I like the suspicious story that is developing around her. The sci-fi portions of the tale are eerie as well, but not blatant. Eager to see where this goes.

Issue 3 - A bit of a slow transition piece for me, but I'm sure it'll pick up in the last two issues.

Issue 4 - The time traveler's story was jaw-droppi
Travis
the TV western 'Deadwood', but we replace cowboys with clones/homages/rip offs of classic pulp sci-fi heroes.

Young lady space pilot comes to the city to collect her inheritance and find out who killed her daddy. She gets mixed up in various plots, local politics and lots of gunplay.

Fun idea, bit grim, considering the characters Warren is using versions of and the near constant swearing stops being shocking by page 3 and then becomes increasingly boring.
Reads like the pilot to an interesting seri
John Defrog
Alternate-history graphic novel in which, by the 1950s, man has already been to space and fought Martians, but now space travel is being banned country by country, and Earth’s space heroes are stuck in Ignition City, a spaceport island that’s devolved into a semi-lawless shithole. That’s the background for the story of Mary Raven, who is unable to go back to space, and goes to Ignition City to find out who killed her father – and in the process, finds out what became of the space heroes who insp ...more
Neil
I don't know if Ellis ever returned to this book, but the first volume a solid sci-fi pulp story with excellent art and an excellent protagonist in Mary Raven. It has it all, space junkyards, alien ticks, ray guns, rocket ships and an overarching conspiracy.

We need more fun books like this.
Shane
I really liked some of the art in this. Alot of it reminds me of Heavy Metal and then the retro paintings are very cool. It was definitely Ellis. Raw, dirty, filthy, none of the characters are that likeable. But it really seemed more like the beginning of something that was going to get much cooler. He's just setting the scene here and for $20 I would expect more. It was a little slow, I can't imagine waiting for it to come out in a monthly format (not sure if it did). So I'm definitely curious ...more
Ben Cameron
If you were to combine the spirit of Whedon's Firefly with the concepts Ellis built up in AEtheric Mechanics and Ministry of Space, then paint the whole thing with a steampunk veneer you'd have Ignition City, and you would be as happy about it as that sentence implies (assuming you know what all of that meant.) It's the sci-fi/western spirit of Firefly twisted through a post-victorian alternate anglophile history. It's magnificent and, in combination with the other works mentioned and Freakangel ...more
Hyzenthlay
I wanted to like this a lot more than I did, but the big boobs and booty shots kinda put me off.
Matti Karjalainen
On vuosi 1956 jonkinlaisessa dieselpunkahtavassa maailmankaikkeudessa. Punahiuksinen Mary Raven matkustaa jumalanhylkäämään Ignition Cityyn ottaakseen selville miten hänen avaruuslentäjä-isänsä oikein kuoli - tai tarkemmin sanottuna murhattiin.

Warren Ellisin "Ignition City" on vaihtoehtoiseen menneisyyteen sijoittuva scifi-western, jossa on huikeasti potentiaalia, mutta joka ei siitä huolimatta lähde ihan täysillä lentoon. Kuvitus on paikoitellen ihan hienoa, mutta toisaalta henkilöiden elottoma
jeremiah
I've read such good things about Warren Ellis but I'm just not seeing what everybody else seems to love so much... Maybe his writing just isn't my cup o' tea.

I thought the story and the alternate history were interesting, but none of the characters really kept me hooked into the story. The big reveal at the end kind of requires the reader to be into the characters so it really wasn't all that climactic for me.

I will say that Ellis has a way with writing vulgar language.
M0rningstar
Best part of this series is the typical Ellis dialogue--crass, laugh-out-loud irreverent. Other than that, it's a pretty regular Western story set in an era of space travel and energy weapons. Perfectly acceptable fare with which to kill some time on a summer afternoon. Only major drawback is the art. The colouring is well done, but the line art gives women rubbery and shapeless faces, as well as bizarrely placed buttocks and breasts. Very distracting (and not in a good way.)
Nathan Buchanan
Birthday TPB #1- Another one of Warren Ellis' great genre deconstructions. This time it's Golden Age serials like Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. After great adventure in the cosmos, Earth's space heroes bring intergalactic war into World War II. The world suffers greatly and then turns its back on space... leaving the world's last spaceport a crazy, lawless place. Unexpectedly gruesome art and great nods to westerns and a lot of old sci-fi.
Josh
Apr 26, 2010 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Ah! He's good at what he does. Always enjoyable, always strong characters, always lots of drinking and gunplay. Not reinventing the wheel - but as the saying means - why try when it already works so well?

Have any ladies out there read any of Warren's lady-starring comics like this, or Anna Mercury or (arguably) the Authority or Freak Angels? I'd like to get your take on these heroines. That is all! oh wait, JET PACK.
Amanda
Cool concept but the execution was only passable. I think that this would have made a better novel, with more chance to dive into each of the famous characters motivations. As it is, the wry Ellisian humour comes out and brings the gritty, dieselpunk aesthetic to life in a pleasurable way. Makes me want to fly a spaceship, which is, in my opinion, the hallmark of enjoyable pulp.
Ben
An alternate history, where earth has made contact with aliens just before World War II, and most of the nations have decided they want nothing to do with space. Versions of some of the classic space opera heroes, like Buck Rodgers and Flash Gordon appear as well. And how can you not like a book that includes the lines:
"Your place smells weird."
"It smells like SCIENCE!"
Adam  McPhee
A loving tribute to the sci-fi pulps of the early 20th century. Think Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and Republic Serials like Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe, with a western setting thrown in for good measure. A clever twist ending offers a great critique of the sub-genre and the careless racism that was often prevalent in it.
Dufour
AWESOME. Great genre mix of western, old school sci-fi, and modern Warren Ellis skullfuckery. Ellis' Avatar work has been hit or miss for me, but this alternate history story of a 1950s decade that's seen the peak and the crash of the space age is good shit. Really a lot of fun.
Dirk
To be honest, despite the low star review, there's a lot to like about Ignition City's Buck Rogers slash Captain Future meets Deadwood premise, characters and setting but failure to realize the strength of its premise is a problem it never quite overcomes.
Bill
Twisted vision of what happened to Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and Commando Cody if their adventures were interrupted by the War of the Worlds and they were dumped into mashup of Casablanca, Deadwood, and District 9.

I need some more of this.
Dru
a very cool wild west/space/pulp story. in the 1950s a daughter searches for her killer's father in the last open spaceport on earth. the art is detailed and excellent. ellis makes this a great start, and hopefully a sequel will be along soon.
  • Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5)
  • Criminal, Vol. 5: The Sinners
  • The Five Fists Of Science
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory, Vol. 2
  • Pax Romana
  • Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1
  • Chronicles of Wormwood
  • Adventures of Luther Arkwright  (2nd ed.)
  • Great Pacific Volume 1: Trashed!
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)
  • Echo: Collider (Echo, #4)
  • The Massive, Vol. 1: Black Pacific
  • The Losers, Vol. 2: Double Down
  • Alan Moore's the Courtyard
  • Fear Agent, Volume 1: Re-Ignition
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)