Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 4 Vol. Set

Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 4 Vol. Set

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The first English-language reference of its kind, The Encyclopedia of Philosophy was hailed as "a remarkable and unique work" (Saturday Review) that contained "the international who's who of philosophy and cultural history" (Library Journal).
Published November 1st 1973 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 4 Vol. Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 4 Vol. Set

Ted
Of course I haven't actually "read" this tome. I first came across it in the library of the History and Philosophy of Science department of The University of Melbourne in 1973-5. After returning to the U.S. I’m pretty sure I acquired it as one of those Introductory Book club offers they used to have, for the Quality Paperback Book Club, or in this case more likely the History Book Club, where you paid $1 or maybe $4 to get your choice of some great books in return for joining the Book Club. Note...more
Tom
Perhaps one of the best gifts I've ever received. An excellent resource for every library and continues to be something I refer to over time. This will sound like I'm a book snob, and maybe I am, but I think it's cool to have, sort of sets your library apart from the bookshelves of ordinary thinkers. Okay, that was arrogant, but I do value the set greatly. Of course I have not read the set cover to cover, but I have found the content to be reliable and informative. Editor Paul Edwards is an athe...more
Robert
Apr 09, 2012 Robert rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Robert by: Craig Cohen
How do you define cool? Once upon the time, one's library was how it was done. What did you do when you went to someone's place for the first time? Peruse their bookshelves. What people read define who they are. Well, when I was younger, I sought to be cool like everyone else. Among my friends, philosophy books reigned supreme; I was a philosophy major after all. This series was the granddaddy of them all.

I could never afford this set of encyclopedia. The thing was, if you joined a book club (Bo...more
Art
Tons of articles on various philosophers, schools of thought, history, and philosophical subjects. Before reading the works of a particular philosopher or school, I highly recommend a person read the article concerning the subject/person in this book first.
Tom Menner
I am biased because I studied philosophy in college, but even though it is a bit dated I have found this four volume set to be indispensable for looking up or referencing anything related to Philosophy.
Aubrey
Dec 13, 2011 Aubrey marked it as to-read
This was apparently Philip K. Dick's favorite source---according to the article titled "Dreaming of Androids" by Charles Platt in the 12/18/11 NYTimes.

Jimmy
I have read and continue to read this book since about some time in the 1970s. It's always with me.
Dan Scott
wonderful resource. It has been an important part of my library for twenty years.
Scott Kleinpeter
Back whenever the philosophers were philosophers, and philosophy was philosophized.
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Kenneth Hammond
Kenneth Hammond is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Shweta Singh
Shweta Singh marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Geoff
Geoff marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
treus
treus marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Juan Esteban
Juan Esteban marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Erick M
Erick M is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2014
Sophie
Sophie added it
May 28, 2014
Mahditahmasebi
Mahditahmasebi marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Thomas Luk
Thomas Luk marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Paolo Michel
Paolo Michel marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
அனல்
அனல் marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Welna
Welna marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Hosein
Hosein marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
More about Paul Edwards...
Immortality A Modern Introduction to Philosophy Reincarnation: A Critical Examination A Modern Introduction to Philosophy 3rd ed (Free Press Textbooks in Philosophy) Heidegger's Confusions