Start by marking “Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 4 Vol. Set” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 4 Vol. Set

Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 4 Vol. Set

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The first English-language reference of its kind, The Encyclopedia of Philosophy was hailed as "a remarkable and unique work" (Saturday Review) that contained "the international who's who of philosophy and cultural history" (Library Journal).
Published November 1st 1973 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 4 Vol. Set, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 4 Vol. Set

Ted
Jan 07, 2013 Ted rated it it was amazing
Of course I haven't actually "read" this tome. I first came across it in the library of the History and Philosophy of Science department of The University of Melbourne in 1973-5. After returning to the U.S. I’m pretty sure I acquired it as one of those Introductory Book club offers they used to have, for the Quality Paperback Book Club, or in this case more likely the History Book Club, where you paid $1 or maybe $4 to get your choice of some great books in return for joining the Book Club. Note ...more
Tom
Jun 12, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, reference
Perhaps one of the best gifts I've ever received. An excellent resource for every library and continues to be something I refer to over time. This will sound like I'm a book snob, and maybe I am, but I think it's cool to have, sort of sets your library apart from the bookshelves of ordinary thinkers. Okay, that was arrogant, but I do value the set greatly. Of course I have not read the set cover to cover, but I have found the content to be reliable and informative. Editor Paul Edwards is an athe ...more
Robert
Nov 09, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it
Recommended to Robert by: Craig Cohen
How do you define cool? Once upon the time, one's library was how it was done. What did you do when you went to someone's place for the first time? Peruse their bookshelves. What people read define who they are. Well, when I was younger, I sought to be cool like everyone else. Among my friends, philosophy books reigned supreme; I was a philosophy major after all. This series was the granddaddy of them all.

I could never afford this set of encyclopedia. The thing was, if you joined a book club (Bo
Art
Aug 26, 2014 Art rated it it was amazing
Tons of articles on various philosophers, schools of thought, history, and philosophical subjects. Before reading the works of a particular philosopher or school, I highly recommend a person read the article concerning the subject/person in this book first.
Tom Menner
Jul 04, 2012 Tom Menner rated it really liked it
I am biased because I studied philosophy in college, but even though it is a bit dated I have found this four volume set to be indispensable for looking up or referencing anything related to Philosophy.
Aubrey
Dec 13, 2011 Aubrey marked it as to-read
This was apparently Philip K. Dick's favorite source---according to the article titled "Dreaming of Androids" by Charles Platt in the 12/18/11 NYTimes.

Jimmy
Jul 28, 2010 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I have read and continue to read this book since about some time in the 1970s. It's always with me.
Dan Scott
Oct 07, 2012 Dan Scott rated it really liked it
wonderful resource. It has been an important part of my library for twenty years.
Scott Kleinpeter
May 21, 2013 Scott Kleinpeter rated it it was amazing
Back whenever the philosophers were philosophers, and philosophy was philosophized.
Aneesh Das
Aneesh Das marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Elaine Appelle
Elaine Appelle marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Ethan
Ethan marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Tanjim Rasul
Tanjim Rasul marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Luke Duffield
Luke Duffield marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Susan Budd
Susan Budd rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Freddy
Freddy added it
Aug 20, 2016
Demet
Demet marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Gregory Allen Romines
Gregory Allen Romines rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Kakoli Dey
Kakoli Dey marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Joseph
Joseph is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2015
Hamed Horri
Hamed Horri marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Draven SohAm
Draven SohAm marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Informed Reading (and Reviewing) 1 1 Sep 26, 2014 10:49AM
More about Paul Edwards...