Start by marking “The Words of My Perfect Teacher: A Complete Translation of a Classic Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism” as Want to Read:

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  1,056 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A favorite of Tibetans and recommended by the Dalai Lama and other senior Buddhist teachers, this practical guide to inner transformation introduces the fundamental spiritual practices common to all Tibetan Buddhist traditions.
Published July 12th 2010 by Yale University Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Words of My Perfect Teacher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Words of My Perfect Teacher

Paul
Oct 28, 2010 Paul added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paul by: A lady at a Tibetan book shop
My favorite quote so far...

There is not a single being in samsara, this immense ocean of suffering, who in the course of time without beginning has never been our father or mother. When they were our parents, these beings' only thought was to raise us with the greatest possible kindness, protecting us with great love and giving us the very best of their own food and clothing... Tell yourself: "It is for their well-being that I am going to listen to the profound Dharma and put it into practice."
Nate
This book is what they call a potential "Game changer of life". If you take it seriously and read it carefully, then it is one that can change your life. It is non sectarian (drime), funny, sad, blunt, poetic, graceful, scholarly, sacred, poignant, direct, circumspect and always wise. How many books do you know that fit this category? It has already deeply changed my friend's life who is Islamic and changing the priorities of his life for the real, practical and to become a kinder, humbler, wise ...more
Henry
A book that all Vajrayana Buddhists should have. Consider this, I just know a couple of English-speaking Vajrayana Buddhists in person, and two of them recommended this book to me. Although written as a beginner's guide of preliminary practice Longchen Nyingthik of Nyingma school, it includes many fundamental Dharma teachings that apply to all schools and traditions. The translation "preliminary" is misguiding, my root guru Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche said, because even some great achieved lamas ...more
Vanessa
still reading. it is beautifully written.

okay...finished, well sort of. some of this is not appropriate for where i am on my path, very dense information and descriptions of very formal procedures on taking refuge, vows, following a teacher, guru yoga, etc. some of this text was incredibly humbling and inspiring and some felt quite rigid and strict, written for monks in a different cultural context. this would be a good book to have on hand to refer to and return to as one journeys on the Buddhi
Keith
Sep 19, 2008 Keith rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: practitioners of Nyingma Buddhist tantra
A clear, though not concise, guide to the preliminary practices ("ngöndrö") of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Vajrayana (tantric Buddhism). While specifically focusing on the Longchen Nyingtig ("Heart Essence of Longchen Rabjampa") terma tradition in the lineage of Jigme Lingpa, the exposition is equally applicable to virtually any Dzogchen ngöndrö system (though the few details given regarding specific visualizations may need to be modified to fit the practitioner's sadhana subject to the instru ...more
Suzanne Arcand
This book is 2/3 great and 1/3 interesting only for people who are fascinated by the minutes details of Tibetan Buddhism.

I need to come clean and say up front that for years I belonged to a Tibetan Buddhist church. I still consider myself Buddhist but reading Words of my Perfect Teacher helped me understand my discomfort with Tibetan Buddhism and Buddhism in general.

The first three chapters are very useful for any practitioner of Tibetan Buddhism. They are not however to be recommended as an in
Mary Overton
"In ancient times, when Sakyamuni [The Buddha of our time] in a previous life was a king called Padma, a serious epidemic broke out amongst his subjects and many of them died. The king called the doctors and asked how the disease should be treated.

"'This sickness can be cured with the flesh of the rohita fish,' they said. 'But the disease has so obscured our minds that we can think of no other remedy.'

"On the morning of an auspicious day the king bathed, donned new clothing and performed a cerem
Alonzo
I read this out of curiosity more than out of a desire to live this way. Tibetan Buddhism is the most ritualistic and "religious" of the forms of Buddhism that I have looked at so far. And, a lot of the information in this book is meant to be used in conjunction with the oral transmission of a qualified teacher. Much of it seems require the learner/practitioner/student to live monastically, but apart from that the teaching on equalizing and exchanging, and on bodhicitta are worth the time to rea ...more
Erica Jones
I believe this text is best understood with its historical context and intended audience in mind, i.e., written by a Tibetan guru born in 1808, died in 1887, so rather don't skip over the several introductions to the text, which includes a historical overview of the development of Tibetan Buddhism. I very much enjoyed the vernacular language and ordinary expressions and speech used in this translation, coming to feel a close familiarity with the occasionally ornery-sounding Rinpoche, with his en ...more
J
As someone who has spent a lot of time reading and being involved in Tibeten Buddhism, I rate this book. It's a solid translation of the original text and has a foreward by HH as well as Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. For non Buddhists, I am not sure how much the book would appeal but it still provides an excellent summation of the Tibetan perspective. I am currently holidaying overseas with foreign language bookstores everywhere so it is a companion I am really glad that I brought for those longer ni ...more
Suzanne Arcand

Isaac Spencer
Patrul's words are like pouring the juiciest, sweetest balm onto a dry, desicated heart. The result being that one knows what is important in life and all the ways one fools oneself.

Patrul doesn't mince words. There are no fluffy bunnies to be found here.

Patrul's words are a blast in the ear of those (including myself) asleep with selfishness.
Amie
Five stars! Buried in here is the strangest little poem. I would tell you about it, but it ends with the line "keep this in your heart, don't go telling people about it"
Travis
Very fundamentalist take on Vajrayana Buddhism. Prepare for lots of elaborate descriptions of hell realms. Not your typical feel-good, yuppie Buddhism.
joe
This is one of the most important books ever to be translated from Tibetan to English. It is a must read for anyone interested in Buddhism or Tibet.
tammy
If one feels drawn to Buddhism, Words of My Perfect Teacher provides a clarity and depth of understanding that is unmatched.
Nate
Sonia Gomes
The best book to study Buddhism!
Christopher
Nov 25, 2011 Christopher rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Tibetan, or Vajrayana, Buddhism, specifically, Nyingma traditions
Recommended to Christopher by: Anyen Rinpoche
Shelves: dharma
A very good overview of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism. The first 1/3 or so of the book are very good for people interested in a good introduction to Vajrayana and basic Buddhism. The story of Patrul Rinpoche's life alone is worth reading this section. This is a book that I will return to frequently and re-read chapters and sections. With each reading, new bits surface.
Stephen Blache
An in-depth presentation of the meditative practices of the Nyingma Buddhist tradition. Easy to follow and profound on its ability to awaken loving-kindness, compassion, joy and equanimity. A text recommended by many Tibetan Buddhist meditation masters.
Nick Mather
I think I have only scratched the surface of this book. I need to re-read along with the commentary for a more full understanding. Nevertheless, there is some great insight offered here and it is a good introduction to Tibetan Buddhism.
Julie Laporte
Nov 01, 2009 Julie Laporte is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I guess it's time for me to do a more formal study of Buddhism...took my kids to a Baptism today in a Lutheran church, and they are so hungry for religion...yet I don't want them to go the route of fear and self-loathing...
Martin Weyers
The style may be a bit "oldfashioned", but the unfading message still comes through. Even more, somehow it's a more joyful read than that of many more entertaining (and less profound) recent books about similiar subjects.
Carole
For anyone who wants the traditional teaching on ngondro, both general and extraordinary preliminaries, this is the classic text. Although the cosmology is foreign to Westerners, it is worth reading.
Todd Marek
A fantastic introduction to Tibetan Buddhism. It will be of particular interest to those interested in the Nyingma tradition of Tibetan Buddhism where it serves as a foundational text to this day.
Gene
Aug 01, 2007 Gene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! Pure Dharma teachings broken down in such an easily comprehensible way that this book is an absolute pleasure to read.
Leslie Rollins
I found this book to be amazing and upsetting — more amazing than upsetting — but that's why I'm only giving it three stars.
Trey
Wanna study Budhism? Well read this book. Long, sometimes dense, but a great study of what Budhism is all about.
Celestial Elf
the Tibetan Tantra Rime text book for aspiring Tantric Buddhists...inspirational.
Cone
Jun 14, 2012 Cone added it
I have the two volume translation by Sonam Kazi. Indispensable!
  • The Way of the Bodhisattva: A Translation of the Bodhicharyavatara
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Life of Milarepa: A New Translation from the Tibetan
  • Not For Happiness: A Guide to the So-Called Preliminary Practices
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • Transformation and Healing: Sutra on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness
  • The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa
  • The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya
  • The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep
The Feature of the Expert, Glorious King: “Three Lines That Hit the Key Points.” Root text and commentary by Patrul Rinpoche The Practice of the Essence of the Sublime Heart Jewel, Meditation and Action: The Propitious Speech From The Beginning, Middle and End The Practice of the Essence of the Sublime Heart Jewel, View, Meditation and Action The Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones: The Practice of View, Meditation, and Action: A Discourse Virtuous in the Beginning, Middle, and End A Guide to the Words of My Perfect Teacher