Start by marking “The Centurion's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Centurion's Wife

The Centurion's Wife (Acts of Faith #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  8,530 Ratings  ·  603 Reviews
A sweeping first-century Biblical saga of the dramatic events surrounding the birth of Christianity; an unlikely romance buds in the midst of political chaos.
Published January 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Centurion's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Centurion's Wife

Jessica Prescott
Aug 04, 2016 Jessica Prescott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey, guys . . .

You know what just happened to me?

I read a Christian Fiction Romance novel.

Voluntarily. Of my own choice.

As I think you all know by now, this is something that rarely, if ever, happens. I don't usually like CFR. In fact, I'm sure a few of you have me labelled in your minds as "Jessica-who-hates-Christian-Fiction-Romance." And until a few days ago, that label was completely accurate ;-) But . . . not anymore.

Because this book is just s
3.5 stars. This was quite an enjoyable read, and I finished it pretty fast. I think the best part of this story was reading about how both Alban and Aleah, in their own seperate ways, came to find Jesus. It was super cool to read about their journey to faith, and near the end of the book, I was completely reeled in. I thought this book was going to be a very boring typical retelling of the ressurection, but it wasn't like that at all, although the beginning did lag. However once Alban and Leah b ...more
Jan 23, 2009 Janna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the idea of a book being written about non-Christians finding Christ during the period of Jesus' death, resurrection and ascension without ever actually meeting Jesus. Here we have Leah and Alban who are separately trying to find out what actually happened to the man named Jesus' body when it was "stolen" from the tomb and if his followers are a threat to Rome. We follow them separately on their journeys for truth knowing that they have been promised to wed each other after the truth is f ...more
I am not a fan of Biblical fiction. Mainly because I feel people tend to fantasize a little too much when it comes to certain things in the Bible. But this book! This book!!!! It astounds me every time I read it. And it is a perfect book to read for this Easter weekend.

What I appreciate is that the real people in this story, spoken of in the Bible, seem very real. They don't add things to their characters that are unbelievable. For instance, when Cleophas is telling Leah of meeting Jesus on the
Kellyn Roth
Oh my word! There was no tea back then in Jerusalem or any other country that far west! I could swear by it! I just know it!

Other than that befuddling me (because that's such a stupid mistake that I'm sure the authors must know what they're talking about ...), this was the awesomest book ever!
One of the best biblical fiction books I have read (they did their research) and a fantastic story. It is not your normal story, it was different and refreshing.
Jul 11, 2012 Savannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must confess. I only retrieved this book because it was free for Kindle at the time and I knew that Janette Oke was a 'clean' writer. I'd never read any of her work before and honestly had no idea what to expect. It sat in my Kindle library for a very long time, and then I suddenly decided I would give it a try. I figured it would be a nice read, not that it would altogether blow me away as it did.
I am a personal fan of the true story of Jesus and the cultural and historical facts surrounding
This book follows the intwined lives of Pilate's niece and servant, Leah, and a Roman centurion, Alban, as they become betrothed, search for answers regarding Christianity, and eventually marry. Leah's and Alban's marriage was arranged by Pilate without the two ever meeting, leaving them both with doubts as to their future happiness. Leah was embittered against such arranged marriages after seeing her two sisters practically sold off as slaves when they were forced into loveless marriages. At fi ...more
Alicia Willis
Aug 30, 2015 Alicia Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read. Unlike many Roman books, it limited both violence and romantic (or sexually inappropriate) content. While there were a few too many descriptions for my taste, it was a sweet, uplifting tale and one that I definitely recommend. It did definitely have aspects of suspense, the characters were believable, and the end of the story was my favorite. Recommended!
Mar 01, 2009 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I pick up a fiction book written by Christians for Christians and it uses an account given in the Bible, I expect the novel to stick to the words and actions given in the Biblical account where the fiction story and the Bible account overlap. Unfortunately, this book doesn't. The Pentecost scene is severely chopped up to shorten it. As for the soldiers guarding Jesus tomb, Pilate puts two of his Roman soldiers under the High Priest's command to watch Jesus' tomb instead of the guards being ...more
Feb 21, 2011 TJ rated it liked it
One's opinion of this book will be directly related to one's expectations of this book. That makes it a very difficult one to review. There seems to be two main goals to this story: 1- to show what life was like in the area of Jeruselem circa A.D. 33 and 2 - To further the Christian message by re-writing the Biblical accounts in the New Testament from a more personal view. Therefore, if you are expecting a plot driven story set amidst a biblical era background (as the synopsis suggests) you will ...more
Leah is a cousin to none other than Pontius Pilot (yes, THAT one), who becomes a maideservant to his wife when her family's fortunes fail. Alban is the centurian from the Gospels whose beloved servant was healed by Jesus. They are betrothed in the days after the Crucifixion, and each one follows his or her own path in discovering what happened to the missing body of the crucified Jesus.

This was written by two beloved and experienced storytellers -- Davis Bunn and Jeanette Oke. I'm almost embarra
Aug 03, 2016 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Golly. This book started off a little choppy, as though they had trouble weaving the girl's and the guy's perspectives together, but it got better and better as you read along. They warmed up into their own special style and WOWZA it was amazing. I loved it. Especially Alban and Jacob!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 12, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was fantastic. It's the first of Janette Oke's books I've read the was not set in the pioneer/frontier days in America or Canada. It was a refreshing change. While I really like her other books, I was ready for a change of setting. This particularly intrigued me because of it's setting in Jerusalem, shortly after the time of Christ's death. It was very interesting to imagine what it would have been like to live at that time. To see how the people learned of Jesus' resurrection and came to a ...more
Wendy Sparkes
I loved this audiobook. Set in the days following the Resurrection, I enjoyed the insight it gives into the turmoil faced not just by Jesus' disciples, but mainly the rest of Israel - including Herod Antipas & Pilate who are disturbed about the disappearance of the Prophet's body.

In this novel, Pilate commissions a trusted centurion Alban from the Capernaum garrison to find out the truth as to whether the Prophet really died, where the body of the Prophet is now, & are the followers plan
Bruce Judisch
Apr 06, 2010 Bruce Judisch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'd expect a collaborative effort between two authors as accomplished as Mr. Bunn and Ms. Oke to be something special, something uniquely satisfying in both form and expression. The Centurion's Wife does not meet that expectation. It leaps far beyond it.

In form, the authors have done seemingly the impossible. They taken a historical era trodden upon by so many authors from so many angles and in so many ways that it seems there'd be no verdant literary soil left among all the typewritten footpr
Sheri Salatin
Mar 23, 2009 Sheri Salatin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
Wow! What an awesome read this book was! Set just after the crucifiction of Jesus Christ through the his ascension into Heaven. This book follows a young woman Leah, neice to Pontias Pilate. She is betrothed (against her will) to a Roman Centurion, Alban of Gaul.
Alban is commanded by Pilate and Herod to find out what has happened to the "prophet" Jesus' body. They believe that the disciples stole it and they want to know if there is any sort of revolt planned. These are the terms that they give
This was an amazing book, to put it simply!

Basically, Pontius Pilot has sent Centurion Alban to discover what happened to the body of Jesus and Claudia Procula, Pilot's wife, has also done the same with her servant and niece, Leah. What they discover will either change their lives or cost them their lives.

Again, this book was amazing. I highly suggest you all read it. It really kept me interested.

However, I must warn you that despite the title, this book does not have a lot of romance in it. Th
Mar 29, 2011 Gracee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-the-kindle
I'm always surprised when reviewers give low book ratings because the book is from a Christian point of view. "too preachy", "unbelievable" "poorly researched" it was about "blah blah blah Jesus"... Christian FICTION people...! This is a retelling of the post-crucifixion of Jesus - How Pontias Pilate and his wife both suspected the disciples of insurrection, inciting potential riots and political disruption. There is also the budding love between Leah and Alban, to whom Leah has been betrothed i ...more
Beautiful book! I was inthralled from beginning to end.

This story of Leah at the time of Jeusus' death on the cross is a worthy read. I admire her faith.

The author's did a marvelous job of bringing Jerusalem to life at the time of the Passover.
Carla Palmeiro
Jun 16, 2016 Carla Palmeiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
I have a soft spot for Christian fiction and like to indulge in it once in a while; The Mark of the Lion series of books by Francine Rivers are amongst my favorite books and I cannot recommend them enough.

By all means, I’m not particularly religious but enjoy reading about Christianity and the foundations of my own religion. This book is basically about the resurrection of Jesus, the central dogma of the Christian theology. There’s also a love story but one that do not overpowers the book.

The p
The Centurion's Wife is a great biblical read that takes places just after the death of Jesus. Once again Oke & Bunn have done great research and developed characters that will be well remembered.
May 17, 2015 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first page this one was a "gripper." It held me fast in every possible way: mind, heart and soul. Team written by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke, This is the fictionalized account of the centurion whose servant was instantly healed by the Lord Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew. The authors capture the sights, sounds, and smells of Judea at the time of Christ in the most dramatic and vivid way imaginable.

Leah is an adopted slave in the household of Pontius Pilate and, being half roman-half Jud
I liked this book. It had some good characters, an interesting historical/religious background, was inspiring and informational without being preachy, but...the story didn't grab me until near the very end. It just seemed to meander, slowly. Also, at times I felt like the author's descriptions of things felt forced and overdone.

Another thing that bothered me, I didn't find the romance believable. One minute there was nothing...the ne
Kimberly Yoghourtjian
This is a well written book in the first of a series (Acts of Faith). Bunn & Oke take the reader on a journey through the dusty streets of Jerusalem right after the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

The reader is brought into the Palace of Pontius Pilate and his wife, Procula. Procula is having nightmares since her husband consented to have the One Who is called "The Christ" crucified.

The book closely follows the events which take place in the Bible after Jesus' crucifixion. Bunn & Oke introdu
Sep 07, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you were ever curious as to what it must have been like during the days immediately following Christ’s death and resurrection – what kind of confusion, doubt, and uncertainty must have been felt by the many people who witnessed the death and then saw the empty tomb – this is just the book you’ve been looking for!

I was swept up in Leah’s story from page one, and thoroughly enjoyed traveling with Leah and Alban, her betrothed, as they each tried to discover what had happened to the Teacher’s bo
Becky Kelley
Sep 30, 2009 Becky Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Centurion’s Wife
In The Centurion’s Wife by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke, a very lost servant in the Pilate’s household is to be wed to an ambitious Centurion, and finds herself questioning all she knows when the profit named Jesus is crucified. Davis Bunn and Janette Oke’s The Centurion’s Wife captured me with its rare writing style and uncommon way of expression among Christian books.
The Centurion’s Wife focuses on what Jews went through after the death of Christ through the characters of Lea
Cheryl M-M
Jun 19, 2012 Cheryl M-M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For what the story actually entails I find the title of the book very non descriptive. It makes one think of a romance novel and yet this tale was so very much more.
The reader follows the bethrothal of a centurion and servant, which takes place shortly after the crucifixion of Jesus. They are both attached to the Romans and yet connected to the Judaean culture.The storyline of the two strangers who are to be bound together flows silently alongside the other plot, even if it was meant to be the o
Jun 23, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an excellent choice just after Easter. Seeing the events over again from a first person viewpoint, examining the evidence both through the eyes of faith and skeptics was engaging. I enjoyed the interweaving classic stories of Jesus' miracles and eyewitness accounts into a classic Janette Oke love story. The most powerful element of the story was a cultural perspective I must have missed in my years of study. I never made the connection between the Jewish tradition of the betrothed ...more
Feb 04, 2010 Kandice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This started out great. I audio-ed it, and the reader had a nice voice, even though she did "voices" which I usually find distracting. The problem was that even though the beginning showed promise, it never got there. Generally a good book starts out good and then builds up. You can usually tell right away. This seemed like it would build up, it just didn't.

This was basically a re-telling of the aftermath of Jesus's crucifixion. I know the story from the bible and had no problem with the liberti
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Dec 16, 2014 09:33AM
  • Journey to the Well
  • Valeria's Cross
  • Love Amid The Ashes (Treasure Of His Love)
  • Michal (The Wives of King David #1)
  • First Light (A.D. Chronicles, #1)
  • Pearl in the Sand
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • The Sacred Shore (Song of Acadia, #2)
  • Isle of Shadows
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Highland Blessings (Highlands #1)
  • Gods and Kings (Chronicles of the Kings, #1)
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
  • Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a
More about Davis Bunn...

Acts of Faith (3 books)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)

“How else can we become reconciled, except one individual at a time? This Jesus you seek did not come to address nations. He washed the wounds of lepers. He dined with sinners. He healed all who came to him. One person at a time.” 3 likes
“He did this not only for us, but for everyone who witnessed that day. And for those like you who hear of it. He did this to show that even in the darkest hour, when there is no reason to go forward, no possibility of a better tomorrow, he is there to comfort, to guide, to heal. He brings with him the gift of hope. Impossible, glorious, joyful hope.” 2 likes