Start by marking “A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #2)

A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories #2)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  795 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Renowned for her acclaimed Victorian novels as well as a stunning new series set in World War I, Anne Perry consistently dazzles us with stories rife with emotion, intrigue, and psychological depth. She recently expanded her talents with the delightfully rendered novella, "A Christmas Journey," which "USA Today" called "one of the best books to brighten the joyous season."...more
Published October 26th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Christmas Visitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Christmas Visitor

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgA World of Joy by Christopher  Shields
Best Christmas Holiday Books
98th out of 289 books — 338 voters
Ashworth Hall by Anne PerryBedford Square by Anne PerryBelgrave Square by Anne PerryBethlehem Road by Anne PerryBluegate Fields by Anne Perry
Best of Anne Perry
54th out of 86 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Bronwyn Rykiert
This is a short story and though it was enjoyable enough most of the time I felt there was too much left out or maybe I just missed bits.

Judah Dreghorn dies in mysterious circumstances and his wife Antonia calls on her godfather Henry Rathbone to come to her aide after his death. There are also her husband's brothers Benjamin, Efrim and her sister in law Naomi. They have all come home for Christmas and it is left to Henry to tell them the sad news about their older brother and the claim that the...more
Knitme23
Well, I'm not sure why this one is hailed as a Christmas story. It's about a murder, and spends an inordinate amount of time focusing on poor Henry Rathbone having to tell the victim's siblings, one by one, the bad news as they arrive for the holiday visit. The descriptions of the weather, the food, the setting, and even the detecting are interesting and rich, but every so often I would think, "Wait a minute: uplifting Christmas story? HUH?" Perhaps this is an example of marketing actually putti...more
LJ
A CHRISTMAS VISITOR (Historic Mystery-England-1850’s) - VG
Anne Perry – Standalone
Ballantine Books, 2004- Hardcover
Harry Rathbone is off to spend Christmas with his newly widowed goddaughter, Antonia Dreghorn, and her family. But when he finds her husband’s death may not have been accidental, he decides to find out the truth.
*** This is the second year Ms. Perry has taken one of the secondary characters from her main series and given them their own Christmas mystery novella, which is wonderful. I...more
Carol
Perry here writes a morality tale rather than a stereotypical mystery. It is also a character study, a comparison between brothers (one courageous and idealistic, and another - dead - who was quiet and forgiving. The character of Benjamin (the courageous and idealistic one) reminds me a bit of St. John Rivers in Jane Eyre - unrelenting in his idealism, but harsh and judging.

This is a quiet tale, with some magic and mystery, with a Christmas message.
Kim
I haven't read much Perry (I can't get past being creeped out that someone who committed a brutal and horrifying murder makes their living writing murder mysteries), but this one was not great. There was nothing special about this being a Christmas book - it could have taken place anytime at all. And, as I was attracted by the Christmas in England aspect, that was disappointing. I also figured out the ending way before the end of the book.
Donna
I like Henry Rathbone in the Monk series, but he doesn't seem a strong enough character to base a story on. Perhaps this book indicates why most mysteries are long...otherwise the "detecting" seems to move too quickly and wrap up too soon.
Alyse
SPOILER ALERT*** Honestly I was looking for a good holiday mystery but this book is SO depressing and it ends horribly, without really ending.
VMom
Henry Rathbone (Sir Oliver's father in the Monk series) solves a mystery. Quite unrealistic ending though.
Christa
ok, not much of a mustery, not much of an anything really.
Sue
This novella gives a fun little mystery with a heart-warming message for the season. Henry Rathbone travels to the country to stay with his goddaughter whose husband has just died. The family is gathering for the holiday and Henry becomes involved in the investigation of a possible murder. He's an engaging character who wants to find out the truth and the Dreghorn family is also quite interesting. The theme of the book is really forgiveness and there are some nice passages.

"Henry remembered the...more
Alice
Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec Le Voyageur de Noël?

"Les nouvelles de Noël d'Anne Perry deviennent vite introuvables après leur parution et il m'en manquait toujours quelques-unes. Heureusement, cette année, 10 18 a eu la riche idée de publier un recueil des quatre premières: la Disparue de Noël, le Voyageur de Noël, la Détective de Noël et le Secret de Noël.

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...

"Henry Rathbone se rend chez les Dreghorn à la demande de la maît...more
Jess Swann
troisième conte de Noel que je lis sous la plume de Anne Perry et cette fois c’est père d’Oliver ( série Monk) qui est au centre de l’histoire. Soyons franc, Henry n’est pas mon personnage secondaire préféré et mon intérêt pour lui est proche de zéro. Cependant, l’histoire de spoliation d’héritage, de faux en écriture et d’un accident qui ressemble de plus en plus à un crime avait tout pour me plaire. Et ça m’a plu. Pendant les deux tiers du livre. Malheureusement, après un synopsis aussi promet...more
Kathy
"A Christmas Visitor" is another of Anne Perry's Christmas mysteries, the second one she wrote. Unlike her first effort in this series (which I read and reviewed a couple days ago), this story is more mystery and less character study.

Henry Rathbone has come to spend Christmas with his friends, Judah Dreghorn and family. Unfortunately, before Henry arrives, Judah dies under mysterious circumstances. At first thought to be an accidental drowning, Judah's death begins to look more and more like mu...more
Ana T.
Another novella about Christmas and in this case about doind the right thing...this is my second novella by Perry and once again it's very good.

Henry Rathbone arrives to spend Christmas at the Dreghorn family manor house near Ullswater. He is greeted by the news that the master of the house, Judah Dreghorn has slipped while crossing a stream in the grounds of the estate in the middle of the night, and drowned. Not only this, but Ashton Gower, recently released from prison, is slandering Judah's...more
Susan
A Christmas Visitor, 2nd book in Anne Perry's Christmas mystery series, is set in mid-December 1850 on an estate near Penrith in the Lake District of England. The Dreghorn siblings will be arriving from around the globe (Palestine, Africa, America) for a Christmas celebration. Henry Rathbone receives an urgent request from new widow Antonia Dreghorn, his god-daughter: please come to discover the facts of her husband's sudden and unexpected death, and fight the slander spread about him.

The case...more
Ria
An exciting murder mystery with a festive twist.
Henry Rathbone travels to spend Christmas with the Dreghorn family but this is not just a Christmas visit, he is to give comfort and sympathy to the family of his long time friend Judah Dreghorn who has just died.
The family are distraught and don't really believe that the manner in which he died was an accident especially as he was a local judge and a person he put in prison has recently been released.
With bad blood on the side of both Gower and D...more
Melissa Lenhardt
If I have a complaint about Anne Perry's writing, is her tendency to hammer home ideas to the point of reader irritation. Her curse for being repetitive strikes in A Christmas Visitor when she constantly tells the reader how honest and upstanding the dead man is. She was so insistent on the point I thought (hoped) the big reveal would be treachery on the dead man's part. But, this is a Christmas story and that was not to be the end. Due to lack of time and space, novellas suffer even more than n...more
Anne Hawn Smith
This was one of the best of the Christmas series. We meet again Henry Rathbone from the William Monk series who is the godfather of Antonia whose husband has just been murdered. All of the brothers are to come home from far away places to the Dreghorn family home for Christmas. Poor Henry has to meet each at the station and break the sad news that their brother is dead and appears to be murdered.

The plots has many twists and turns and you find yourself hoping that none of people are to be found...more
Rachel
This entry in Anne Perry's Christmas series is one of my favorites in the bunch, and in my opinion, one of the strongest entries along with the ones featuring Dominic Corde and Emily Ellison Radley. As a note, I listened to the audio recording, and the reader did a fabulous job.

Henry Rathbone is one of Perry's wisest and most likeable characters, and here he lends a hand to help solve a crime for his goddaughter's family. I find it helps to know the characters and the roles they have in the ong...more
Garden Girl
I enjoyed this. Anne Perry always interests me. Her interpersonal relationships are well rounded and complex. This was a short novel, so these aspects were not as developed as in her other books. It was good to have a favorite character, Henry Rathbone, appear in this novel removed from London. The twist at the end wrapped things up nicely, but was a bit contrived.
Michael Blackmer
This is not the type of book I would normally pick up. I do read mysteries at times but often. Anne Perry has not been on my radar up until now. I enjoyed the change. This was a quick little read. I enjoyed the story line. I will be adding other Anne Perry Books to my list in the future. This mystery is set in the Victorian era and takes a simple straight forward path. If you are looking for action packed and fast-paced this is not the right read for you. However, as a read to be enjoyed on my C...more
Karen C
Read a few of these. They were ok.
Anna
This short Christmas series mystery novel featured Henry Rathbone, father of Oliver Rathbone who is a regular character in the Inspector Monk series. Henry Rathbone makes occasional appearances in the Monk books as well.

Mr. Rathbone goes to visit his goddaughter who has recently been widowed. Her husband was a very dear friend of Henry's so he is grieving the loss but soon he and the members of the victim's family are trying to figure out the mysterious circumstances surrounding the death.

Patricia Solla
Historical. Not your usual Christmas story. We find ourselves involved in a murder mystery which happens around christmas time. The story has some interesting characters. First there's the indication that an accident might be a murder. Then there's the why the murder may have come about. Then there's the actual murder investigation and the eventual solution with the explanation of why it happened in the first place. An interesting premise with an even more interesting conclusion.
Amanda
These little Christmas novellas are packed with holiday goodness - very solid mystery stories set in Victorian England. There are several in the Christmas series, which run under 100 pages each, so are easily digested in one sitting. Rich stories with quickly fleshed out characters who are believeable and likeable. Even the bad guys have redeeming qualities! Kind of like, oh, I dunno, humanity? :) Really enjoying these short books in her Christmas series.
Donna
In the Christmas Visitor, a family reunion of the Dreghorn family is to take place for Christmas. Antonia Dreghorn's husband, Judah, has tragically died in an "accidental" death. Mrs. Dreghorn summons her godfather, Henry Rathbone, to the Dreghorn estate to help with telling each of the family members of Judah's demise.

Henry takes it upon himself to investigate this "accident". There are many unanswered questions that will lead to a surprising ending.
Lisa
The featured player in this Anne Perry Christmas mystery is Henry Rathbone, the father of barrister Oliver Rathbone from the William Monk/Hester Latterly series. When his goddaughter's husband is killed, Henry goes to be with her and her family at Christmas and finds himself snow-deep in mystery. One of the two entries in the series that I like best, so far, along with A Christmas Guest.
Judy
The Dreghorn family, many of whom hadn't seen each other for a decade, gather for a Christmas reunion in England's Lake District. When a man dies, apparently accidentally, his wife sends for her godfather, Henry Rathbone, to try to figure out what happened.
Barb
Nov 30, 2008 Barb rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the William Monk series
Graeme Sutherland
Twee and lacking any real depth. Odd that someone involved in real life with a nasty murder should want to spend so much of her time creating chocolate-box confection murder mysteries of this sort. Perhaps pushing the unpleasantness back into the historical past and safely within the conventions of the "whodunnit", is a way of distancing herself from her own experiences.
  • The Christmas Tree
  • Christmas Keepsakes
  • How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • Thirteenth Night (Fools' Guild, #1)
  • Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2)
  • The Christmas Scrapbook: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #6.5)
  • The Christmas Wish
  • The Christmas Clock
  • Esther's Gift: A Mitford Christmas Story
  • Death and the Maiden  (Liebermann Papers, #6)
  • When Christmas Comes
  • Silver Bells
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3)
  • Miracle on 34th Street
  • A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories
  • Light of Christmas

Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry", the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several cate...more
More about Anne Perry...
The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1) The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) Callander Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #2) A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2) Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)

“Sometimes we bring to a struggle or cause the gifts we see most clearly, a courage, a strength, or a charm others have told us we have. But often we find more is asked of us than that, more than we intended or thought we possessed. We are asked to offer that which we thought dearest, to forgive what seemed unpardonable, to face what we feared the most and endure it. Sometimes we have to travel to the last step a path that was not of our own choosing. But I promise you this ... it will lead to a greater joy in the end. The difficulty is that the end is beyond our sight, it is a matter of faith, not of knowledge.” 8 likes