Start by marking “Dead Heat” as Want to Read:
Dead Heat

Dead Heat (The Last Jihad #5)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  4,094 ratings  ·  194 reviews
For Jon and Erin Bennett, the world seems to be spinning dangerously out of control. A new dictator is rising in Iraq. China is making threatening new moves toward Taiwan. North Korean forces appear ready to strike south. Israel is feverishly trying to complete the Third Temple. Oil prices are surging. And in the wake of an horrific war in the Middle East, President James ...more
eBook, 0 pages
Published March 18th 2008 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Heat

John Abela
A terrible finish to a truly great series!

What was one of the best series out there turned into a flop of a final book to this series.

While I am not against the Christian message, to turn one of the very best dead-on series of todays world into a book I would have expected to be written by Billy Graham himself, was a huge disappointment.

I found myself turn page-after-page-after-page without doing anything but glancing to see if the religious hodgepodge had stopped.

The way this ended ranked up th
Tiffany
Oct 31, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely everyone!
I cannot recommend strongly enough the reading of this series of books, starting with "The Last Jihad" and ending with "Dead Heat". Especially during this critical time in world politics. Amazing, fascinating, insightful, and frightening are just a few of the words I would choose to describe these books.

"Dead Heat", in just the first chapters, opens with the nuclear bombing and annihilation of four major US cities: Washington DC, New York, Seattle, and Los Angeles where the GOP convention is jus
Don
I've enjoyed several of Rosenberg's book, but this one is far too "preachy" and too consumed with biblical prophecy of end times events occurring. Also The Last Jihad, The Last Days, The Ezekiel Option, and The Copper Scroll were chiefly concerned with Jon Bennett and Erin McCoy and their Bourne-like political intrigue and willed with action. Not Dead Heat. Bennett and McCoy are almost minor characters in this last book of the series. In my opinion, it was a disappointing end.

I've also read Ros
Bear
Was asked to review this book by my Jewish friend at work (Refers to me as an "honorary Heeb"... quite a decent title for me). A book based on current world events; a bit evangelical for my tastes, but (1) Plausible and (2) well thought out. A lot of details are poor (refers to fighters climbing at 65K feet a second; even missiles can't do that) but the overall result is a potential scenario on how the second coming of Jesus could conceivably start. Not too shabby; looking at his list of availab ...more
Louis
The last book of "The Last Jihad" series, it was the most riveting one yet. It grips you from the very first page, and take you down paths with twists and turns that you never see coming. The good guys don't always win. Rosenberg seems almost prophetic in his storytelling, which ties in so closely to modern day political events that you can see his story actually happening in the real world. Indeed, some of it has. A brilliantly written book that is near impossible to put down once you start.
Dominique
Again, a great story line but way too much Bible thumping. I was ready to throw the book out the window several times. The saving grace for me was the ending. It actually brought me to tears and really touched me deeply.

This series could have been a 4 or 5 star series if the Christian life and belief system was portrayed in a manner that was more believable and more ... real.

For instance, in one chapter, John Bennett is visiting Mordecia and just stops the conversation and prays. It was odd in h
Conrad
I listened to this as an abridged audiobook while on a road trip. I thought it was going to be a political thriller, but it turned out to be another Dispensational Pre-Tribulation rapture novel of the Tim LaHaye (Left Behind series) and Oliver North variety. A clumsy and heavy-handed approach to sharing the Gospel message using scare tactics. Just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover.
Caleb
Bob
Sep 26, 2014 Bob is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Anthony
A review by Anthony T. Riggio of Joel C Rosenberg's Dead Heat (Political Thrillers Series #5) (Hardcover)

Dead Heat will have you sit up straight and pay attention. The attack on the US is an effective one, done with a devastating, primarily low tech approach. Without the right leadership in office, this country will surely collapse if this scenario or something close to it is ever played out. Rest assured our enemies and those who hate us, and there are many, are reading this book with a possibl
Richard

Last night the series came to an end for me. I stayed up through midnight to finish book 5 of Joel Rosenberg's political thriller series. Dead Heat was better than I was expecting. I had gone to amazon and read all the horrible reviews. I enjoyed this book more than books 3 and 4.

Dead Heat is not a happy book. It is very dark. Just as a small spoiler, what happens in this story occurs directly before the Rapture. (Think Left Behind)

Now, I'm not one to agree with that kind of theology but I do en
Rachel M.
Reading this book was like riding an emotional roller coaster...it was such a wild ride, but it ultimately left me feeling depressed. The plot was emotionally hard to stomach because it describes America's last days in play-by -play detail, and the novel is as chilling as it is gripping...Rosenberg doesn't spare anyone...no character is safe. This series really is the prequel series to Left Behind, so you could view these books as a storyline that follows a set of characters living in the years ...more
Katie O'malley
A fast-paced, involving thriller--think Dan Brown meets American domsday novel. The world is falling apart and spiraling out of control. 'Dead Heat' is addictive, if contrived, and "unputdownable" there is a heqvy dose of Left Behind-style preachery, which somewhat mars the last half of the book. Still, it is an unforgettable book.
Rita McDowell
Absolutely Awesome!

This entire series of books are beyond excellent! They were both entertaining but most of all they encourage the reader to ponder what is ahead. Given what is happening in our world these days, it would do well for people to truly search their hearts for the truth. Mr Rosenberg has truly presented the Gospels in such a way that will definitely inspire the reader to continue their search for the truth! Enjoy but think about the real story! God Bless and thank you!
Mom 2
Jul 21, 2008 Mom 2 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
okay this is Joel's depiction, once again, on the possibilities of last-day Bible prophecy. It's as good as all his others, and rather gripping. I think the only drawback is that sometimes his writing reminds me all-too-much of the LaHaye "Left Behind" series, which I thought was mostly amateurish and lame, 2/3 of the way through the series I just had to quit. (In fact, I was just floored that it was such a popular series - which is the only reason I read it!) Rosenberg is in no way amateurish i ...more
Nancy
I love Joel C. Rosenberg's books and was surprised to find this one recently when I checked on the Internet to see if he had written any books I hadn't read.

I enjoy Rosenberg's blend of Biblical references to the "Last Days" of this earth's history and his imagined social/political conditions in a fictional story that projects his view of life today. The story moves along quickly and is a "page-turner." This book follows his earlier three and can stand alone or be read in sequence with the other
Judy Herling
If you want to get confused AND depressed, then this is the book for you! Multiple cities are bombed by an unknown group/country, and on top of that are the precursors to war in the Middle East, Jordan, Venezuela, Korea, Russia, China, Bangkok, etc. etc..

For me, there was too much going on. The basic story of what was going on in the states would've filled a book by itself. And I would've liked more resolution and better explanations of what was happening. Some of these stories in the other coun
Rod
This is one frustrating depressing fast paced book. But important. Is our world really this evil? Of course it is.

I prefer the left behind series more. Lots more depth and character development. But that's just my opinion. I'm sure Joel was attempting something very different. Which was cool. If Joel took the time to expand these characters and scenarios this book would be 2000 pages long. So i'm glad he didn't.

Mostly I enjoyed the very quick ministry moments and Biblical content. Things had t
June Evans
This is not a book that I would have picked to read but my husband so heartily recommended it, I couldn't resist. We have not stopped thinking and talking about the ramification and out come of the plot. As Christians, we appreciated the approach of a Christian to the events of the world in light of the teaching of the Bible. Reading the preceding books by the author would probably be helpful but if you are knowledgeable of the Bible, the story is very understandable.

Looking at how the end of th
Nicole
I had heard great things about this book--"the author is almost prophetic the way he predicts upcoming major world events and ties those predictions into his fiction..."

What I didn't realize when I got this one is that it is the fifth of a five book series. I think if I had read the previous 4, I would have been more connected to the characters in this one. I do find it fascinating that his fiction "predicts" the future. There were times when I was bored, or simply not in the mood for the drea
Laurie
My husband and I started listening to this book on a long drive, and we finished it in the evenings at home. The first half kept us interested and wanting more. The second half was filled with death and horror and long descriptions of sad feelings, so it was much harder to get through. If we had been reading it instead of listening, we would have skimmed through it. But, it's the fifth book in a series, and we hadn't read the earlier ones. I'd be interested to try the first one, The Last Jihad, ...more
Rosemarie LG
This had much more of a religious connotation than expected in a political thriller. Very different than the first book in this series.
Mary Damiani
The last book in The Last Jihad series. It kept me turning the pages just like the previous 4 books. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get to the last book except that I didn't want the series to end. Knowing from the Bible where Joel was heading with this, the final book, I knew somewhat where he would head with this one. But, being the intriguing storyteller he is there were some surprise twists and turns. I hope my friends will read all 5 and know the real world implications that the pro ...more
Brent Soderstrum
This is an action packed novel about the end of times. I can't get into details or I would spoil much of the twists and turns that are in nearly every chapter. I will say that the book starts out with a nuclear attack on 4 US cities from some unknown country. This is a very believeable scenario which I hope I am not around to see but all biblical signs point to what Rosenberg spells out. It is hard to put this book down. Each chapter is intense.

I am a Christian and I enjoy the Biblical reference
John
Aug 20, 2008 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults only
joel c. resenberg is not for the light hearted. he writes about the world situation of international intrigue that can be frightening at times. i got interested in him as an author after our trip to isreal as that is where his first book was set.
i have read all 5 of his novels in this series. epi-center is non-fiction and i have had a hard time with that one as it has discussion about how the author sees the world situation from his perspective.

these books are definitely adults only.

well the e
Larry
Apr 28, 2008 Larry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes political thrillers,
The last in the series of five political thrillers. It is a pretty dramatic book with events that will test your "metal." It has a very surprising and "evangelical" ending. A fitting end to this phenomenal series.

This series should be read in the order of their writing. However, I recommend that the first book read be the non-fiction book, THE EPICENTER, in this book it gives some insight to the five books in the series. The first book is THE LAST JIHAD, the second book is THE LAST DAYS, the thi
Mike Emett
A very sobering read. A jaw dropping finale to this series by Rosenberg. Christian or not, no matter the denomination of Christianity, this series and world events going on in real time, reminds us that not just us as individuals, but us as a nation (America) and worldwide REALLY need to 'turn back to' God. For I truly believe that a nation that remembers God is blessed, while a nation that forgets or rejects God is and will be cursed.

Whether you agree with LDS doctrine or not, a good series to
Arthur DeLozier
Good book but not one of Rosenberg's best. A bit heavy on the dialogue and short in the chapters.
Joanne
It is a great book in the series. Read each one. Would highly recommend them all.
Alta Canyon Book ...: Nov. Book 1 1 Nov 13, 2013 10:42AM
disappointing 3 20 Aug 09, 2012 01:17PM
  • Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)
  • Babylon Rising (Babylon Rising, #1)
  • Lion of Babylon
  • Night Light (Restoration #2)
  • Shadowed: The Final Judgment (Underground Zealot, #3)
  • The List
  • The Great Divide
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • Apocalypse Dawn: The Earth's Last Days: The Battle Begins (Left Behind Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Ishbane Conspiracy
  • Seventh Day (A. D. Chronicles #7)
  • Burn
Note: This is a different person than the fantasy author, Joel Rosenberg

Joel C. Rosenberg is the founder of The Joshua Fund and the New York Times best-selling author of THE LAST JIHAD (2002), THE LAST DAYS (2003), THE EZEKIEL OPTION (2005), THE COPPER SCROLL (2006), EPICENTER (2006) and DEAD HEAT (2008) with m
More about Joel C. Rosenberg...
The Last Jihad (The Last Jihad, #1) The Ezekiel Option (The Last Jihad, #3) The Twelfth Imam (The Twelfth Imam, #1) The Auschwitz Escape The Copper Scroll (The Last Jihad, #4)

“throat.” 0 likes
“9:12 P.M.—GROUND ZERO, WASHINGTON, D.C. Without warning, the capital of the United States was obliterated. At precisely 9:12 p.m. Eastern, in a millisecond of time, in a blinding flash of light, the White House simply ceased to exist, as did everything and everyone else for miles in every direction. No sooner had the first missile detonated in Lafayette Park than temperatures soared into the millions of degrees. The firestorm and blast wave that followed consumed everything in its path. Gone was the Treasury building, and with it the headquarters of the United States Secret Service. Gone was the FBI building, and the National Archives, and the Supreme Court, and the U.S. Capitol and all of its surrounding buildings. Wiped away was every monument, every museum, every restaurant, every hotel, every hospital, every library and landmark of any kind, every sign of civilization.” 0 likes