Start by marking “Dead Heat” as Want to Read:
Dead Heat

Dead Heat (The Last Jihad #5)

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  5,644 Ratings  ·  245 Reviews
For Jon and Erin Bennett, the world seems to be spinning dangerously out of control. A new dictator is rising in Iraq. China is making threatening new moves toward Taiwan. North Korean forces appear ready to strike south. Israel is feverishly trying to complete the Third Temple. Oil prices are surging. And in the wake of an horrific war in the Middle East, President James ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dead Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Heat

John Abela
Mar 28, 2013 John Abela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A terrible finish to a truly great series!

What was one of the best series out there turned into a flop of a final book to this series.

While I am not against the Christian message, to turn one of the very best dead-on series of todays world into a book I would have expected to be written by Billy Graham himself, was a huge disappointment.

I found myself turn page-after-page-after-page without doing anything but glancing to see if the religious hodgepodge had stopped.

The way this ended ranked up th
Tiffany
Aug 20, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely everyone!
I cannot recommend strongly enough the reading of this series of books, starting with "The Last Jihad" and ending with "Dead Heat". Especially during this critical time in world politics. Amazing, fascinating, insightful, and frightening are just a few of the words I would choose to describe these books.

"Dead Heat", in just the first chapters, opens with the nuclear bombing and annihilation of four major US cities: Washington DC, New York, Seattle, and Los Angeles where the GOP convention is jus
Bear
Apr 09, 2008 Bear rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was asked to review this book by my Jewish friend at work (Refers to me as an "honorary Heeb"... quite a decent title for me). A book based on current world events; a bit evangelical for my tastes, but (1) Plausible and (2) well thought out. A lot of details are poor (refers to fighters climbing at 65K feet a second; even missiles can't do that) but the overall result is a potential scenario on how the second coming of Jesus could conceivably start. Not too shabby; looking at his list of availab ...more
Don
Aug 23, 2012 Don rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed several of Rosenberg's book, but this one is far too "preachy" and too consumed with biblical prophecy of end times events occurring. Also The Last Jihad, The Last Days, The Ezekiel Option, and The Copper Scroll were chiefly concerned with Jon Bennett and Erin McCoy and their Bourne-like political intrigue and willed with action. Not Dead Heat. Bennett and McCoy are almost minor characters in this last book of the series. In my opinion, it was a disappointing end.

I've also read Ros
Louis
Jun 26, 2011 Louis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last book of "The Last Jihad" series, it was the most riveting one yet. It grips you from the very first page, and take you down paths with twists and turns that you never see coming. The good guys don't always win. Rosenberg seems almost prophetic in his storytelling, which ties in so closely to modern day political events that you can see his story actually happening in the real world. Indeed, some of it has. A brilliantly written book that is near impossible to put down once you start.
Dominique
Again, a great story line but way too much Bible thumping. I was ready to throw the book out the window several times. The saving grace for me was the ending. It actually brought me to tears and really touched me deeply.

This series could have been a 4 or 5 star series if the Christian life and belief system was portrayed in a manner that was more believable and more ... real.

For instance, in one chapter, John Bennett is visiting Mordecia and just stops the conversation and prays. It was odd in h
Conrad
Mar 02, 2011 Conrad rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an abridged audiobook while on a road trip. I thought it was going to be a political thriller, but it turned out to be another Dispensational Pre-Tribulation rapture novel of the Tim LaHaye (Left Behind series) and Oliver North variety. A clumsy and heavy-handed approach to sharing the Gospel message using scare tactics. Just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover.
Marilyn Roggenkamp
Great insight on Palestinian conflict and God's plan for Israel.
Jerome
Jun 03, 2012 Jerome rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy and gripping.
The description of the shoot down of the Air Force spy plane was full of errors. A 707 flying at 49,000 feet? Impossible. A Mig 29 climbing at 65,000 feet per SECOND? Ridiculous.
Bob Mask
Nov 15, 2011 Bob Mask rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Elijah Abanto
May 27, 2017 Elijah Abanto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lord, forgive me if it seems that I forget that you are coming back soon. But I know, deep within my heart, that you are coming again, and in light of that I must live a spotless life. Jesus, empower me. Enable me to live in light of eternity, so I will not be ashamed of myself when one of these days you'll return and take me home. And thank you for using Rosenberg's book to remind of these things.
Shawnee Bowlin
Feb 24, 2017 Shawnee Bowlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joel C. Rosenberg satisfies once again with his intense, thought-provoking and drama-filled Dead Heat. This talented writer spins a detailed, informative writing storm.
My thoughts were totally consumed with the story of Jon Bennett and his brush with danger and death, his losses, and the confusion brought by the strange circumstances into which he was thrown.
You can't possibly think of the government the same way after finishing a Rosenberg book!
Greer Andjanetta
A very mixed-up book with equal parts of religion dogma and nuclear war. The USA is attacked with nuclear bombs, the president, his successor and HIS successor are killed and so are most of the main characters. Some of the descriptions of the chaos that results from the attacks are interesting but mostly this is a book to be ignored.
Scott
Mar 16, 2017 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Final chapter finished strong

As with the other entries in the series this one delivers, riveting from the start and continues to remind the readers of our need for a Savior and how to find that Savior in Jesus Christ.
Mart-Jaap Van leeuwen
Laatste deel van de serie over oorlogen en geruchten van oorlogen....
Als de eindtijd echt zo gaat als hier beschreven dan moet de wereld het hart vasthouden, er staat nog veel te gebeuren.
Mark Easter
Dec 19, 2013 Mark Easter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

2009 Retailer's Choice Award winner!The stage is set for war. Oil prices are surging to record highs. A new dictator is rising in Iraq. China is threatening Taiwan. North Korean forces appear ready to strike south. Israel is feverishly trying to complete the Third Temple. And in the midst of a world ready to explode, American president James MacPherson's second term is ending. Now as a fiercely contested presidential election campaign approaches, America faces its greatest threat ever . . . One

Dan Cooley
Jan 12, 2015 Dan Cooley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Good – Author Joel Rosenberg knows how to write! As always when reading one of Joel’s books, I get upset at every text message, phone call – even loving interruptions. His books aren’t good on my marriage. Joel does introduce people to the gospel here and there, but it isn’t preachy. Well done!

The Bad – Somewhere in the middle of the book, a van driver dies. The guy on the passenger’s side of a van can’t hit the brakes due to stuck seat belt, so has to pull the e-break instead, locking up th
Caleb
Jan 21, 2014 Caleb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard
Nov 09, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Last night the series came to an end for me. I stayed up through midnight to finish book 5 of Joel Rosenberg's political thriller series. Dead Heat was better than I was expecting. I had gone to amazon and read all the horrible reviews. I enjoyed this book more than books 3 and 4.

Dead Heat is not a happy book. It is very dark. Just as a small spoiler, what happens in this story occurs directly before the Rapture. (Think Left Behind)

Now, I'm not one to agree with that kind of theology but I do en
Karen Birman kent
Ends with the deaths of MacPhereson, and 4 cities being hit by several nuclear bombs. Erin and Bennett have resigned their positions and are helping at a refugee type camp when Erin gets sick. Bennett gets her to the clinic Dr just in time to find she is very sick AND pregnant. She recovers slowly but before she fully recovers, they have to be moved for safety. As they are trying to make it to the airport where they will have much air support...their convoy is hit and Erin is killed instantly. B ...more
Anthony
Dec 20, 2012 Anthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, novels, islam
A review by Anthony T. Riggio of Joel C Rosenberg's Dead Heat (Political Thrillers Series #5) (Hardcover)

Dead Heat will have you sit up straight and pay attention. The attack on the US is an effective one, done with a devastating, primarily low tech approach. Without the right leadership in office, this country will surely collapse if this scenario or something close to it is ever played out. Rest assured our enemies and those who hate us, and there are many, are reading this book with a possibl
Rachel M.
Jul 25, 2011 Rachel M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was like riding an emotional roller coaster...it was such a wild ride, but it ultimately left me feeling depressed. The plot was emotionally hard to stomach because it describes America's last days in play-by -play detail, and the novel is as chilling as it is gripping...Rosenberg doesn't spare anyone...no character is safe. This series really is the prequel series to Left Behind, so you could view these books as a storyline that follows a set of characters living in the years ...more
Brad Schoenfeld
May 02, 2015 Brad Schoenfeld rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy
Jan 01, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Joel C. Rosenberg's books and was surprised to find this one recently when I checked on the Internet to see if he had written any books I hadn't read.

I enjoy Rosenberg's blend of Biblical references to the "Last Days" of this earth's history and his imagined social/political conditions in a fictional story that projects his view of life today. The story moves along quickly and is a "page-turner." This book follows his earlier three and can stand alone or be read in sequence with the other
Bob
Sep 25, 2014 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judy Herling
Jul 28, 2011 Judy Herling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to get confused AND depressed, then this is the book for you! Multiple cities are bombed by an unknown group/country, and on top of that are the precursors to war in the Middle East, Jordan, Venezuela, Korea, Russia, China, Bangkok, etc. etc..

For me, there was too much going on. The basic story of what was going on in the states would've filled a book by itself. And I would've liked more resolution and better explanations of what was happening. Some of these stories in the other coun
Ed
Aug 05, 2016 Ed rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
I read the reviews at the front of the book. I read his introduction. I read the first 50 pages. I scolded myself for wasting my time.

Disclosure: I got this book through Bookmooch.com and should apologize to the person who sent it because if I'd done my due diligence, I would not have mooched it. I plan to offer her a free book.

If you are someone who believes that we are headed for the apocalypse and most Muslims are evil and that there are many plots out there to assassinate Christian leaders,
Mom 2
Jul 21, 2008 Mom 2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
okay this is Joel's depiction, once again, on the possibilities of last-day Bible prophecy. It's as good as all his others, and rather gripping. I think the only drawback is that sometimes his writing reminds me all-too-much of the LaHaye "Left Behind" series, which I thought was mostly amateurish and lame, 2/3 of the way through the series I just had to quit. (In fact, I was just floored that it was such a popular series - which is the only reason I read it!) Rosenberg is in no way amateurish i ...more
Merv Jersak
Apr 15, 2015 Merv Jersak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 5th and last book in "The Last Jihad" series did not disappoint. Jon Bennett and new wife Erin McCoy can't seem to be able to go quietly into an anonymous life; and once again Jon figures prominently in the unfolding of the final days. Assassinations, political intrigue, nuclear threats and annihilation, a U.S. presidential election, Babylon and the EU, China and North Korea, Israel building the third temple on the Dome of the Rock - and then God intervenes mightily.

What else is there to say
Mike Emett
Nov 04, 2013 Mike Emett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very sobering read. A jaw dropping finale to this series by Rosenberg. Christian or not, no matter the denomination of Christianity, this series and world events going on in real time, reminds us that not just us as individuals, but us as a nation (America) and worldwide REALLY need to 'turn back to' God. For I truly believe that a nation that remembers God is blessed, while a nation that forgets or rejects God is and will be cursed.

Whether you agree with LDS doctrine or not, a good series to
Alta Canyon Book ...: Nov. Book 1 1 Nov 13, 2013 10:42AM
disappointing 3 20 Aug 09, 2012 01:17PM
  • Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)
  • Babylon Rising (Babylon Rising, #1)
  • Lion of Babylon (Marc Royce)
  • Shadowed: The Final Judgment (Underground Zealot, #3)
  • The List
  • The Great Divide
  • Night Light (Restoration #2)
  • The Jericho Sanction (Peter Newman, #2)
  • Apocalypse Dawn: The Earth's Last Days: The Battle Begins (Left Behind Apocalypse, #1)
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • Sinner (Paradise, #3)
Note: This is a different person than the fantasy author, Joel Rosenberg

Joel C. Rosenberg is the founder of The Joshua Fund and the New York Times best-selling author of THE LAST JIHAD (2002), THE LAST DAYS (2003), THE EZEKIEL OPTION (2005), THE COPPER SCROLL (2006), EPICENTER (2006) and DEAD HEAT (2008) with m
More about Joel C. Rosenberg...

The Last Jihad (5 books)
  • The Last Jihad (The Last Jihad, #1)
  • The Last Days (The Last Jihad, #2)
  • The Ezekiel Option (The Last Jihad, #3)
  • The Copper Scroll (The Last Jihad, #4)

“By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.” 0 likes
“Jesus said, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.” 0 likes