Wanted Undead or Alive: Vampire Hunters and Other Kick-Ass Enemies of Evil

Wanted Undead or Alive: Vampire Hunters and Other Kick-Ass Enemies of Evil

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Maberry, a "New York Times"-bestselling author and two-time Bram Stoker Award winner, and Bashman offer a fascinating, far-ranging tour of the nature of evil and those who rise to fight it in real life, pop culture, in literature, and in fables.
Published September 1st 2010 by Citadel (first published August 19th 2010)

Terry
The problem with this book is that it has the wrong title. It should be called something like the Complete Guide to Good and Evil because if you come to it expecting information about the Van Helsings of the world, you’re sure to be overwhelmed.

Starting with the philosophy of evil, Maberry and Bashman cover good vs evil in all its forms. So while there are lengthy sections on vampires and vampire hunters (including detailed breakdowns of Buffy characters and a global survey of vampire mythology)...more
Kristina
If you are like me and love all things creepy and scary that go bump in the night then you must add this one to the TBR pile! It's educational...yes people I said educational; but in that morbid curiosity way.
Want to know about pulp fiction, the Lizzie Borden rhyme, or maybe RPG's? This book has got it all and can tell you about nearly every horror realated thing or the origin of it.
It's a seriously enjoyable read that I think you should check out if you want to find something far away from rom...more
Bridget
I'm addicted to all things paranormal. I just can't help myself. When I received an email from Janice asking if I would like to review her book, I was honored! I'm really glad that I agreed because reading Wanted Undead or Alive made for a perfect afternoon. The interviews with some of today's hottest authors were amazing and the illustrations were magnificent. Overall, this is one of my favorite books ever. Go get a copy and then tell me what you think.
Donna
What a thoroughly amazing book. From the definition of evil to its incarnates and how to fight it in its various forms, Wanted Undead or Alive has it all, with pictures to spare. It's a textbook on fighting evil without the boring text. From Dracula to Ted Bundy, Maberry and Bashman don't leave any stone unturned when it comes to seeking out evil and unearthing the heroes that smite them.

And don't think we're limited to your standard film and literature fare. Oh no. Take that huge section on com...more
Bookworm
WANTED UNDEAD OR ALIVE: Vampire Hunters And Other Kick-Ass Enemies of Evil is a type of reference guide for horror fans.
This book is full of interesting information about the paranormal, fictional as well as real life monsters, and folklore among other things. Artwork from various sources is included throughout the book.

One chapter I enjoyed in particular was 'Legendary Heroes'. They discuss several different heroes from the fictional ones, James Bond to Rocky Balboa to Indiana Jones, to real l...more
Once Upon
First I have to say that the title is funny and I had to read it twice to make sure what I was reading is correct. This book is a guide to all supernatural and evil villains and ways to escape. However, it also has descriptions of hero's and how they help save the world. It has a little of both worlds which is why this book is a great. It's a great reference book for those who are in love with the paranormal and who wants to learn the history behind it. It's insightful, Strange and evil goodness...more
Nyxx's Nook

This book is a good reference guide for those that want to know slightly {well, ok..a lot} more about the various histories of Vampires and other *evil* creatures. There are author commentaries and director commentaries--even commentaries from actors -- all compiled in this one book.
Various games are even covered, role playing, the whole Resident Evil game theory and more.
An interesting part? Top 100 Villains of all time. Can you guess #1?
A wonderful reference for...more
Mindy Sorensen
This book is really awesome! I definately learned a lot! There was one thing that I really loved, when it was talking how to bury people you didn't want to come back from the dead, one of the things they did was put their shoes on the wrong feet, so it would confuse them when they rose, I thought that was hilarious! There is a bunch of fun stuff like that, awesome facts. The book also talked about tv shows that had to do with heroes and vampires, and it made me want to go and watch them! Overall...more
Jennifer Monzon
Amanda
A pretty handy compendium of monsters and their respective counterparts, this book is nice for any aspiring horror or fantasy writer because it provides just enough information to get the storytelling juices flowing and allows for the prospective writer to narrow down their research pretty quickly. It delves a little bit into the philosophical side of the evolution of today's monsters and ghouls, but nothing too in depth, which I have to say was kind of a disappointment, since I was expecting th...more
Janet
I found the title extremely misleading. The full title is “Wanted Undead or Alive: vampire hunters and other kick-ass enemies of evil” and I took this to mean that the book would be more of a “how to” manual, or possibly profiles of famous vampire hunters. Instead it seems to be mostly a catalog of characters from different TV shows, graphic novels, cartoons, movies, books, and games. I ended up reading each section’s introduction and then skipping the lists.
Peggy
A collection of essays on the traditions surrounding the history of those who fight evil. Clearly written for a pop culture audience, there's some interesting history here, but a lot of repetition and some bad copy editing slow down a pretty fun ride.
Kristina Rienzi
As a paranormal writer, this book was priceless! An enjoyable supernatural reference guide that I couldn't live without. I find myself referring to it with each new story I plot. A must read for all writers with non-human characters. Loved it!
Kristin
I like the premise of the book, the survey of monsters and monster hunters. However, it was poorly edited. Preacher was NOT written by Warren Ellis. It was written by Garth Ennis. That kind of a mistake just makes me wonder what else was missed.
Clayton Bye

Please note: this review was actually provided by CK Webb, one of my staff members at The Deepening World of Fiction.
Darcy
This was an interesting book, one which explores so many myths that we read about in fiction and what their impact is on pop culture. Real life killers and good vs evil is also discussed.
Karmen
I actually couldn't finish it. I think I thought it would be quite different from what it turned out to be...
Jage
Kiki
Kiki marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jeff Miller
Jeff Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Shaunna
Shaunna marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Renata
Renata marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Enrique Herrera
Enrique Herrera marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Supernatural Fict...: WANTED UNDEAD OR ALIVE 3 11 Sep 03, 2010 08:33AM
  • Shadows of Myth and Legend
  • The Hunted of 2060 (Shifter Evolutions #5)
  • The Last Track (Mike Brody, #1)
  • The Living Dead Boy
  • On the Soul of a Vampire (On the Soul, #1)
  • Flaming Dove
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Dante's Journey
  • Manchester House
  • The Horror of Gaad Grey, The Evil Alpha Werewolf (The Cries of Vampira, #1)
  • The Language of Trees
  • Enter, Night
  • Four Summoner's Tales
  • Black Dog and Rebel Rose
  • Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans, #3)
  • Twilight Forever Rising
  • Dust (Dust, #1)
  • World-Mart
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning horror and thriller author, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. His books have been sold to more than a dozen countries.

His novels include the Pine Deep Trilogy: GHOST ROAD BLUES (Pinnacle books; winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel in 2006), DEAD...more
More about Jonathan Maberry...
Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) Dust and Decay (Benny Imura, #2) Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3) The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)