Start by marking “Unfolding the Napkin: The Hands-On Method for Solving Complex Problems with Simple Pictures” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  453 ratings  ·  27 reviews
An original workbook companion to the acclaimed business bestseller The Back of the Napkin

Dan Roam's The Back of the Napkin, a BusinessWeek bestseller, taught readers the power of brainstorming and communicating with pictures. It presented a new and exciting way to solve all kinds of problems-from the boardroom to the sales floor to the cubicle jungle.

The companion w
Published December 29th 2009 by Portfolio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Unfolding the Napkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unfolding the Napkin

Rework by Jason FriedLinchpin by Seth GodinMade to Stick by Chip HeathThe Total Money Makeover by Dave RamseyCrush It! by Gary Vaynerchuk
What Matters Now
25th out of 69 books — 102 voters
Resonate by Nancy DuarteSlide by Nancy DuarteKnockout Presentations by Diane DirestaEven a Geek Can Speak by Joey AsherMaximize Your Presentation Skills by Ellen Kaye
Speaking, Presenting and Presentation Design
12th out of 18 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Excellent approach to visual thinking and visual problem solving. This book is a follow-up to the original book and is set up as more of a workbook.

Best ideas are the four "unwritten rules" including: (a) whoever is best able to describe the problem is the person most likely to solve it, (b) we can't solve problems that overwhelm us. To understand what we're seeing, we need to break it into bite-size pieces, (c) problems don't get solved by the smartest, fastest, or strongest; they
Hi. So for all those out there who gaze at their laptops and computer screen for long number of hours each day, to figure out what those bulk charts, dashboards and tables say about your company profits and losses, this book is your knight in the shining armor! :) All post grads doing MBA,please go through this book and learn better visualization and presentation aspects for your projects and models. Ben Fry sure is the most renowned author for data visualization practices in the world but Dan R ...more
Richard Stephenson
I thought it was amazing!

I didn't read his first book about napkin creativity. However, this book was so totally up my alley. I soak in TONS of information and absolutely loved this method of getting down on paper. It's quick, it's not perfect, and it leaves a lot out... but that's what it's for!

And here's another huge thing... the more tools you learn to help you CONSCIOUSLY control which "frame of mind" your in... the better! This is a HUGE skill that all must posses.

Drew Graham
Any problem can be solved with simple illustrations, no matter your level of artistic ability (or lack thereof), and this book explains how with real-world applications and plenty of exercises.

Dan Roam apparently has taken his philosophies on the road with great results, revolutionizing how businesses relate sometimes complex ideas in very simple ways, while at the same time using basic and timeless methods. This is a handbook, like a do-it-yourself workshop, that takes you through the four days
Aaron Bolin
Dan Roam is really cool; I really enjoyed this book. Yes, the pictures are kind of corny. Yes, the examples are kind of cartoonish. Yes, the exercises seem like they are from kindergarten. But somehow Roam has taken corny, cartoonish, kindergarten tasks and turned them into something really useful.

I read this book and enjoyed it, but I didn't get the full value of the content until I went back and worked the exercises. Though I don't remember what SQVID stands for or any of the other organizing
The author spends the first 100 pages expaining why pictures are a good idea. He could have made his point much quicker and spent more time explaining his frameworks for drawing pictures, of which there are very many. He makes an analogy with a swiss army knife: his has 18 tools on it, culminating in a 6x5x2 = 60-picture grid of the different drawings you can make, which he calls the "visual thinking codex". The types of pictures he is talking about are: who/what, how much, where, when, how and ...more
Eric Wallace
I picked up this book--and in particular the "hands-on" workbook instead of the original The Back of the Napkin: Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures--because I am not particularly visual person, but I want to learn to communicate better visually and practice it, too. As such, I found the book quite helpful, but it took me *forever* to get through because, well, it was like "work". (This is quite ironic since I regularly read technical books that are very much related to my job and f ...more
Dawid Naude
Loved it! Highly recommend it for anyone who is tired of boring Powerpoints, or consultants who want to understand complex concepts and requirements with a simple model.

Also- it will give you a tool to present to any group and ensure they GET what you're saying. Loved it, excited to implement this every day.

This book provides a simple approach to become a more effective communicator.

It was interesting to recognize tactics that were already being implemented at my office. (I am guessing someone from our corporate, if not our office leader, has read this.)

None the less, I found it a valuable read and already find myself using some of its methods.
It's a 4-day workshop on how to make the steps your own. This one's for everyone who's ever been asked "Can you show me what it looks like?" I find the book especially helpful for presenting stuff in a brown bag lunch session and any other discussions over coffee & without a laptop computer, a white board or one of those blasted tablets.
We are not talking about great literature here but set of ideas/techniques on how to present your ideas based on the theory that we are born with the ability to draw but not to write and read.
This book was a harder read for me than The Back of the Napkin. I appreciated the exercises, and did force myself to complete them. I think it's a nice companion to The Back of the Napkin.
Ed van der Winden
The only slight drawback to this book is that it is too much like The Back of the Napkin. Still, of you only read this one it is still a book full of five-star ideas and insights.
Mark Grether
Somewhat of a companion book to "The Back of the Napkin". Shows how effective simple symbols are in communicating complex ideas especially for your whiteboard explanations.
Better than Back of the Napkin because of the detail and number of examples. Otherwise nothing new. Still, absolutely worth reading and trying to apply to your work.
Manolo Frias
Excellent complement to "The Back of the Napkin". Deeper explanations about the 6x6 method and SQVID with examples and exercises.
Walt DeGrange
Nice system. I will try and incorporate drawing into my briefs. Should come in very handy for teaching.
A great workbook for helping teachers sort through visual thinking, representing. I love VR!!
Thomas Kinsfather
A must read for communicators, teachers, pastors, and leaders. Invaluable tools.
More detailed than the Back of the Napkin but a lot of the same material.
Great supplement to Back of the Napkin. You, too, can doodle with purpose.
Great methods but I think I won't use them much in the daily business.
Simple, yet brilliant. I use the principles from this book all the time.
Larry Carter
very good....look forward to reading his later book!
Visual Thibkers of all stripes will love Dan Roam.
cute illustrations
Kent Austin
Started 9/5/2011
Tim marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Worldwildweb marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • Rapid Problem Solving With Post-it Notes
  • The Art of Explanation - Making Your Ideas, Products and Services Easier to Understand
  • The Visual Miscellaneum: A Colorful Guide to the World's Most Consequential Trivia
  • Indexed
  • The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Note Taking
  • Design for How People Learn
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins: How to Use Your Own Stories to Communicate with Power and Impact
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases