Blank-133x176
Love Poems

Sonia Sanchez

Love Poems

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Musically compelling, risky, original: yes. But the most salient characteristic of Sonia Sanchez's Like the Singing Coming Off the Drums is passion. There's enough erotic exuberance in these poems to make even Cupid blush, starting with the opening salvo: "you held me so close / we were like the singing coming off drums. / you made me squeeze muscles / lean back on the sou...more
Unknown Binding, 101 pages
Published January 1st 1973 by Okpaku Communications Corporation

Christopher
Sonia Sanchez was, until a day or so ago, merely an unknown name in a giant roll call of poets unknown, but ever since I located this book on the shelf of my public library, I have not regretted meeting her.

Passionate, erotic, and delicately constructed, Sanchez's love poetry is the cream of the crop--right up there with Pablo Neruda's "Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair".

However, let us not link her to the dead or the living-- she is after all a poet.

Sanchez, who stands on her own truly, h...more
Marilyn Diamond
I love Mama Sanchez and will follow her anywhere. She gives you assisgnments: Like can you not say one bad word about a person for a week, and if so call her...
Aichlee
Dec 28, 2007 Aichlee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets, anyone.
Shelves: poetry
i don't normally "do" love poems, but these are hot.
Faith
This book is a ravishing piece of written art!
Olivia Prebus
The most sensual book of poetry I own.
Arria
One of my favorite poetry books of all time.

Discovered this eons ago, while probably still in high school (I'm in my early 30s now) and it really spoke to me.

The haikus are short, succinct, but really strike a nerve. Stay withy you all day long (or in my case, years-long).

There are so many that really tug at my heart center. My favorite: page 18. Tanka. "I thought about you. The pain of not having you cruising my bones. No morning saliva smiles. This frantic fugue about no you."

Gawt damn. I f...more
Anne
My favorite haiku in this collection -

what is done is done
what is not done is not done
let it go...like the wind.

The love poems are flowy, some heartwrenching, with just the right melancholy tone. My kind of poetry. :)
Angélique
3 1/2 Stars. I will forever be impressed by Sanchez's ability to put so much emotion and power into such short verse. While there were some shining moments in her longer poems in this collection, I found the most emotional resonance and beauty in her haikus and other short forms.
Lindsay L
Gorgeous. What else can be said? Sonia Sanchez is one of my favorite poets and this book is no exception, her ability to use the fewest words possible to say so much continually blows me away. Her "Haiku (for you)" has to be one of my favorite love poems.

"Love between us is/speech and breath. loving you is/a long river running."

Plus she's a scholar, an activist and a lyrical genius. What's not to love?
Kristin
Most of the poems in this book are short and come in the forms of haikus and tankas. I have never been a huge fan of haikus; although I did enjoy some of hers, I preferred and enjoyed her longer song-like poems more because they pick up a greater amount of energy from one line to the next.
Marie
This is a collection of love poems from this powerful Philadelphia poet/activist/scholar! There are poems in here dedicated to Tupac Shakur and Ella Fitzgerald.
Petra
A good read for Valentine's Day!
Anne Carle
Adored seeing her read from this.
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Dan
Dan is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Za
Za marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
MARY Brazeau
MARY Brazeau marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Darnisha Doug
Darnisha Doug marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Quest Jones
Quest Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Wanda Bj
Wanda Bj marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Shantelle
Shantelle marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
  • The Book of Light
  • Directed by Desire: The Collected Poems
  • The Angela Y. Davis Reader
  • Hottentot Venus: A Novel
  • Fire in the Streets (The Rock and the River, #2)
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • American Dreams
  • Aloud: Voices from the Nuyorican Poets Cafe
  • No Name in the Street
Sonia Sanchez was born Wilsonia Benita Driver on September 9, 1934, in Birmingham, Alabama. After her mother died in childbirth a year later, Sanchez lived with her paternal grandmother and other relatives for several years. In 1943, she moved to Harlem with her sister to live with their father and his third wife.

She earned a B.A. in political science from Hunter College in 1955. She also did pos...more
More about Sonia Sanchez...
Shake Loose My Skin: New and Selected Poems Homegirls and Handgrenades Does Your House Have Lions? Wounded in the House of A Friend Morning Haiku