Start by marking “The Red Album of Asbury Park Remixed” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Red Album of Asbur...

Alex Austin

The Red Album of Asbury Park Remixed

The setting: Springsteen-land in the late 1960s, a once thriving seaside getaway, now a rundown hulk of decaying buildings, degenerates, dive bars, thieves, decrepit amusements, gangsters and junkies. Vet Sam Nesbitt has just come back from Vietnam. He’s one of the lucky ones. War’s horrors have given him a worldview that goes beyond Ocean Avenue. He wants out. He wants to ...more
Published September 2nd 2009 by Virtualbookworm.com Publishing, Incorporated (first published July 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Album of Asbury Park Remixed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Album of Asbury Park Remixed

Daniel Clausen
Jul 05, 2016 Daniel Clausen rated it it was amazing
I guess I should give a disclaimer: I know Alex, he's my goodreads friend, and I knew he was a talented author before I picked up the book.

Someone once told me that a book review is never really about the book, it's usually about the book reviewer. And it's usually about the book reviewer trying to sound smart. Oh, I tried to think of something witty to say about Asbury Park, but when it comes down to it, it’s a really great story.

The book gets a great deal right: the time, place, and people ar
Jess Scott
Aug 30, 2009 Jess Scott rated it it was amazing
The Red Album of Asbury Park captures the late 60's of Asbury, New Jersey, and its music scene. This was a time when the town was resonating with a "rock and roll" energy (the same time that then-unknown/up-and-coming musicians like The Boss were just getting started). There is a nice, melancholy mood and tension throughout the book, which features a style of prose writing that's original and smooth-flowing. The characters were introduced, and/or entered the scene(s) very naturally and at a good ...more
Ken
Sep 07, 2009 Ken rated it really liked it
Having been born and raised in New Jersey, I’m often asked by non-Jersians, “What was it like?” I usually get odd stares when I respond with, “Like the circus left town.”

There is a sadness to New Jersey. If you’ve lived there you know what I’m talking about. It’s hard to see past the state borders. Things outside of New Jersey just don’t seem possible. Maybe that is why, too often, people never leave New Jersey. They usually wind up just staying put, residing two towns over from where they grew
Patrick
May 27, 2009 Patrick rated it liked it
kid playing detective after a horse got run over by the train, finely described in details. Here are some of the bullet points:

The dead bodies pile up as told through various snappy dialogues.

A black bellhop complains about giving piggyback rides to whores on their ways to service successful musicians and the filthy rich in the olden days of yore.

A promising job in T.V. antenna repair before the age of digital is given to the narrator and along with it, the trappings of obligations to a coup
Penny
Jul 02, 2009 Penny rated it really liked it
Beware: Just because the title references Asbury Park, this book IS NOT a beach read:) There is nothing light or breezy here. It's complex and dark and the characters leap off the page and get in your face.
erik at booktunes
Oct 13, 2009 erik at booktunes rated it it was amazing
A great novel, good writing, gripping story.. this book needs more recognition!

there is an interview with author Alex Austin on my blog:

yes the music is there too.
J
Oct 29, 2008 J rated it liked it
The prose is poetic. Having grown up in the area before Asbury Park really went to pot, I can easily recall the sights and sounds Austin describes. Any fan of summers on the Jersey Shore should enjoy this book.
Clark Mccann
Jun 25, 2009 Clark Mccann rated it it was amazing
A terrific novel, especially for Springsteen fans. Captures the gritty world of Asbury Park, seen through the eyes of an aspiring rock musician. Tense, sexy, and beautifully written.
C.E. Grundler
Jan 25, 2011 C.E. Grundler rated it it was amazing
The writing and imagery throughout this book is amazing. I had begun reading then found myself delayed by life, but this book never left my mind and I've at last returned to finish it. There is a certain lyrical bitter-sweetness to the story and you feel for the characters as their stories unfold. The dialog is flawless, and I didn't see cause for offense by any of the language used. It all feels genuine and natural, completely convincing. The story progresses a gradual, subtle way, slowly ...more
Johnny Flora
Mar 24, 2011 Johnny Flora rated it it was amazing
Wow, I have to admit I'm impartial to this excellent impressionistic offering from Mr. Austin. I received my copy in yesterday's mail and haven't put it down since. Seeing as I've spent the greater part of my own life playing in just about every New Jersey nightclub from Gene O'Brians Shamrock in Keansburg to Cryan's lounge in West Orange, this well written tale of a young man's quest to find his way in the music business mirrors my own experiances to a tee. Alex is a very proficient novelist ...more
Elaine
Mar 19, 2010 Elaine rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elaine by: Alex Austin
Apparently, Austin did a rewrite of this book, called The Red Albuum of Asbury Park Remixed. Not knowing that the Remixed version was the one I should review, I bought the original as a new book from Amazon. Although Amazon is still selling this version, but it is the Remixed version which one should read and I should have reviewed. The version I read shows a good deal of writing talent.
Eirik Gumeny
Sep 06, 2010 Eirik Gumeny rated it liked it
Reading The Red Album of Asbury Park Remixed while down the Jersey shore definitely added to both the authenticity and the charm of the book. The dialogue sounds real and, for once, a contemporary novel ends the way it feels like it's supposed to.
Mkmsales
Dec 31, 2009 Mkmsales rated it really liked it
Interesting picture of a time I remember in an area I am familiar with. It is enlightening to put an adult vision on a time you experienced as a child.
Very interested to read the revised edition.
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
Booktunes
Booktunes rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2010
Lisa Grande
Lisa Grande rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Slickdpdx
Slickdpdx rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2010
Angela
Angela rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2015
Erik Weber
Erik Weber rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Marty Dempsey
Marty Dempsey rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2011
Brandi L Kennedy
Brandi L Kennedy rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2015
Mcurran
Mcurran rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2011
Rick F.
Rick F. rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2010
Mirza
Mirza rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2010
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Alex
Jan 05, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ytje
Ytje rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2012
The Red Album Soundtrack & Author Interview 1 8 Oct 13, 2009 08:25AM
I'm a Los Angeles-based journalist and teacher. My novel Nakamura Reality will be published by Permanent Press [On a shoestring turning out literary gems"--The New York Times] in February 2016. The following are links to some reviews, interviews and my published stories:

Publishers Weekly Starred Review of Nakamura Reality http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1...

Better Beta Reads Interview http://b
More about Alex Austin...