Start by marking “Real Fast Food: 350 Recipes Ready-to-Eat in 30 Minutes” as Want to Read:
Real Fast Food: 350 Recipes Ready-to-Eat in 30 Minutes

Real Fast Food: 350 Recipes Ready-to-Eat in 30 Minutes

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  589 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Nigel Slater presents over 350 creative, delicious and nourishing recipes and suggestions for those who'd rather spend more of their time eating than cooking. From simple snacks to dinner-party desserts, all the dishes in "Real Fast Food" can be ready to eat in 30 minutes or under.
Published March 1st 1996 by Overlook Hardcover (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Real Fast Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Fast Food

Lee Broderick
I confess, I'm not a fan of Nigel Slater. There, I've said it. The ultimate taboo of the 21st century British food lover. In truth, I've never managed to watch more than about five minutes of his television programs; I find his persona smug and, predictably for someone who expends so much energy in extolling the virtues of 'unpretentious' food, pretentious.

Coincidentally, one of those five minutes was just the other day. In this show he was interviewing Richard Briers, an actor that I, like many...more
Rebecca
Jan 07, 2013 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, especially students and vegetarians
I would recommend this cookbook to anyone! The meal ideas are really really quick and simple, with lots of variations on certain themes... unlike Jamie's 30 Minute Meals, which need to be planned for and raced through to take place in 30 mins, it is very do-able in Real Fast Food- I'm not a quick cook but Nigel's simple instructions meant I could have tasty food ready in about 20-30 minutes.

This is a book for everyone but I especially recommend it to students, as I am- I enjoy cooking but doing...more
A British friend sent this to me a couple of years ago and it has been an absolute lifesaver. I use it all the time, at least once a week if not three or four! Although I enjoy the act of cooking, it's not something I feel particularly adept in or secure with yet (having only really started, in a big way, this past year). This is a great book for making practical meals, regularly, without a whole lot of experience under your belt.

Slater's book has a variety of really tasty, easy-to-understand re...more
Anne
This is a practical cookbook. It assumes you're likely to be home after a long day and trying to figure out what to do with a can of tuna, two eggs, and half a package of spaghetti. This unassuming book will help.

Mr. Slater says this cookbook came from an unlikely place: a decade or so of collecting tasty, fast dishes plus people who were willing to provide both guidance and encouragement in turning that collection into a book. The resulting book (his first) tends to be story driven, and as a r...more
Carly
So, it must be said that Nigel Slater seems like a relatively pretentious dick, and I don't much like him. If you are looking for someone who cooks simple meals with great flavor and ingredients, but who also has loads of general expertise when it comes to food, cooking and life, I'd stick with Nigella Lawson, who is by far the more intelligent, engaging and likable of the two.

That said, I loved many of the recipes in this book and, yes, I did read it cover-to-cover, as one might a novel. If you...more
Martha Love
I have an old edition of this book (1993) and have had it and used it for some years. I love Nigel's superior use of herbs in cooking throughout his recipes in this book. Using his book is an excellent way to learn about herbs for taste in dishes. Also, I enjoyed making and adding to my family's diet the Grilled Peppers with Balsamic Vinegar and Basil! It took me a couple of tries to get them to look nice, but I finally got down the Eggs Baked in Tomatoes and it is delicious!

Martha Love
author o...more
Deb
Spending six months cooking along with Nigel Slater for a weekly food blog event (I Heart Cooking Clubs), I had to go back and add a review to this book after rating it back in 2010 because I have spent so much time with it lately. For me, the only thing that stops it from being a 5 star is the lack of pictures but this small paperback (mine is old, picked up from a used book store several years ago) is an essential part of my cookbook collection. I grab it whenever I need inspiration for a quic...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/914452.html[return][return]It's been a real inspiration to me this holiday; the concept is a very straightforward one, cooking really tasty meals reasonably quickly. I can't say that it always took me less than half an hour to do the recipes, but the results were worth it. Slater encourages experimenting, and this evening's meal was my substition of stewed leek instead of fennel in his pork and lemon dish. All very yummy.
Mycala
I bought this book shortly after adding it to my "to read" list and it's one of those I use on an almost weekly basis. The recipes are simple -- a few good-quality ingredients that are easily thrown together to make extraordinary meals. I love this book. I seek it like it's an oracle and it has never steered me wrong. Nigel is a culinary genius. As you can see, I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.
Margaret
This is a cookery book which I will use a lot. Simple recipes, not too many ingredients and a narrative which inspires you to base your cooking on the food that you already have in the fridge or larder. Slater continually tweaks his recipes according to what he has available - it makes you, the reader, feel confident to follow his example. A good buy.
Clare
This is an awesome book. Definitely the most practical and the one I turn to most often in order to whip up an evening meal. I also love the fact that it's a smaller format, about the size of your average novel, which makes it handy if you want to take it out with you to the shops or on holiday. Practical, see!
Becca
Nice writing, and the recipes can probably actually be done after work in the evenings and not have us eating at 10pm. Some of the ingredients would be quite hard to find, so I won't plan on making those, but that's not surprising given that I'm American and this is a very 'British cookbook'.
Mary-Ellen Lynn
There is nothing groundbreaking here - and the whole collection is just a little too 60s/70s like for my tastes. Perhaps the book is best suited to students or to people who have little practice and experience in the kitchen...
Adriane
I didn't like this book primarily due to the format. While the recipes were good, it was difficult to look through and cook with. I prefer larger cookbooks that can be easily used while cooking, which this one just wasn't.
Clare
I have given away perhaps ten copies of this book to friends and family. It's my favourite cookbook, hands down. Whatever you have in your cupboard, Slater will help you turn it into something awesome - and fast.
Tracey
Aug 11, 2012 Tracey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to cook
Love this book - great recipes,many of which are now family standards in our house. My copy is battered and has plenty of food stains - always the sign of a much loved cookbook! Highly recommended.
Bittersweet
So much more than just recipes .. a collection of ideas that cover any occasion. A small book that has travelled everywhere with me on family holidays and has fed us well.
Tara
Would have given it more stars if I liked meat better.
Fairlita
Another good bargain from that used book shop at Pisa! In a glance, recipes found here are very easy. The tips and useful advices are also a pleasant surprise.
Rebecca
It's exactly what the title says. Every recipe I've made from here has been delicious and Nigel makes you believe you can do anything in the kitchen. Love this book.
Jagati Bagchi
i was amazed to find easy to make recipes with at the most 2 or 3 fresh ingredients . . . the recipes are concise and variations are also given . . . .
Kelley
No pictures, more text-booky which isn't a fun form for a cookbook. Some good recipes though, and as promised, they were real and fast.
Shauna
This is the kind of cookbook you can read on the bus. I love Nigel Slater's writing and got some great dinner ideas.
Margaret
Handy but not enough new material to be a keeper. Enjoyed the peas & garlic from it last night though!
Rachel
Got a couple of recipes I could use, but overall wasn't that impressed with it.
Alison
A good collection of recipes for the time-challenged cook. Easy but inspiring.
Philippa
Love everything by Nigel, but nothing will ever beat The Kitchen Diaries.
Lili
Some good quick recipes easy cooking, great for quick suppers.
Natalie
anchovies and cottage cheese on pasta. the best.
Teia Blackshear Collier
One of the classic go-tos on my shelf
  • River Cottage Every Day
  • Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
  • Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking
  • Off The Shelf: Cooking From the Pantry
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York
  • How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
  • Bake
  • The Naked Chef Takes Off
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
Nigel Slater is a British food writer, journalist and broadcaster. He has written a column for The Observer Magazine for seventeen years and is the principal writer for the Observer Food Monthly supplement. Prior to this, Slater was food writer for Marie Claire for five years. He also serves as art director for his books.

Although best known for uncomplicated, comfort food recipes presented in earl...more
More about Nigel Slater...
Toast Appetite The Kitchen Diaries: A Year in the Kitchen with Nigel Slater Tender: Volume I: A Cook and His Vegetable Patch Nigel Slater's Real Food