Start by marking “Extravagance” as Want to Read:

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  14 reviews
William Tobias Merrick, an energetic young man from the provinces, travels to the big city in a time of great optimism and ferment, hoping to make his mark on a frenzied, money-crazed society obsessed with the promise of new technologies.

The city in question is London in the 1690s; but it is also New York in the 1990s. The new technologies are diving bells, pneumatic winc
Published September 9th 2003 by Broadway (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Extravagance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extravagance

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Rory's Book Club
138th out of 171 books — 87 voters
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainCarrie by Stephen KingThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerEthan Frome by Edith WhartonFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Rory Gilmore Reading List
85th out of 100 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Yes, the premise was clever. The book itself is incredibly dull. It's like having your prospectus read to you by a guy in a wig and cravat.
Gary Krist's Extravagance: A Novel had potential. A clever concept drew me to the novel initially, but this conceit alone was not enough to hold my attention.

Extravagance tells the story of William Merrick through two time periods and two countries, London at the beginning of the stock market and New Economy and New York City near the end of the 90s tech bubble. Will wants to make his fortune playing the stocks and takes incredibly risks to do so. Will's lust for money in both eras is put into
Lori Mcmullen
I liked the idea of the storyline told from two very distinct eras in history. I constantly wondered how the author would resolve the two storylines into one. As the conclusion of the novel loomed, I thought perhaps the main character was delusional...but that was not the case. I wish that the story had resolved itself, but, for me, sadly it did not.
Un bon roman d'initiation. Le génie de l'auteur est de l'avoir situé à deux périodes en même temps, Londres à la fin du 17ème siècle et New York en 1999. J'avoue que j'ai été sacrément bluffée car les transitions entre les deux périodes sont absolument parfaites. Le narrateur utilise la langue de chaque époque (l'anglais du 17ème n'étant pas très aisé à comprendre), ce qui ajoute un intérêt linguistique en plus de l'intérêt historique. Au-delà les personnages sont un peu bâteaux et l'intrigue es ...more
Nov 13, 2013 Rhea added it
Shelves: whats-this
Why are there so many books like this? (And by this, I mean books that unfold paralleley in two different time periods with a common theme.) I mean, there's Revolution and Radiant Days and some more I can't remember. Hmm...
Aug 24, 2008 Michele rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Michele by: Time travelers
I loved the premise: The story is told as one character and the similarities and differences of his life as lived in the sixteen century and modern times in an alternating pattern. Though the topic of finance itself was a bit droll for me, I found the book charming and clever.
Heather Childree
This is quite a different book. I like how Krist used the same characters in two different times and locations to tell one story. I was confused at first, but I quickly caught on to the shifting times and locations. Amazing concept.
I love the way Krist intertwined two stories into his novels and Extravagance did this in an interesting way. I really enjoy the mini cliffhangers when he shifts between stories.
A Journey We Love
not a very good book -- the premise is clever but the execution is not that nice. it's boring, the characters are bland and are extremely annoying as well.

I didn't finish this book. I enjoyed the old England part much more than the modern part, which required more interest in finance than I have.
A little hard to get into this book, but well-worth a read! It is a very clever premise!
Joan Karter
Ashley said it all. I had to stop reading it.
Not bad, an easy read.
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Francesca Tripiedi
Francesca Tripiedi marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Penelope marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Heather marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Kris marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Jac is currently reading it
Sara Stults
Sara Stults marked it as to-read
Rachel Lipow
Rachel Lipow marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Estephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Jenn marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Julia marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Sydney Marie
Sydney Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
  • Quattrocento
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • Jordi / Lisa and David
  • A Quiet Storm
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • The Meaning of Consuelo
  • The Song of Names
  • Fat Land
  • Nervous System: Or, Losing My Mind in Literature
  • Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia de Burgos
  • Sacred Time
  • Just a Couple of Days
  • My Life in Orange
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • Rescuing Patty Hearst: Growing Up Sane in a Decade Gone Mad