Start by marking “Going Long: Training for Ironman-Distance Triathlons” as Want to Read:
Going Long: Training for Ironman-Distance Triathlons

Going Long: Training for Ironman-Distance Triathlons

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  215 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This book guides weekend triathletes in getting the most out of their training time and helps serious triathletes get maximum physical and mental benefit from training. Chapters cover the basics of training and fitness; training specifics for swim, bike, and marathon; mental strategies; and more. Sample training plans, photographs, charts, tables and case studies are also ...more
Published May 12th 2003 by VeloPress (first published March 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Going Long, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Long

Douglas Lord
Mar 25, 2016 Douglas Lord rated it it was amazing
While it’s tough to describe ‘going long’ briefly, here’s the deal: if you had to choose one book to help you go 140.6, this is it. These two acknowledged experts present ‘traditional,’ baseline training advice covering the business of the swimming, biking, and running – and so much more. See, the longer the distance you race, the trickier it gets. This covers pretty much everything from developing mental prep/toughness to nailing the taper – the period of physiological peak fitness you achieve ...more
Jake Johnson
Sep 26, 2014 Jake Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic! Very in-depth.
Erik
Aug 08, 2007 Erik rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Triathletes
Friel is a very calculating author and if you follow his program, you will see excellent results. The only problem is trying to follow his rigorous schedule. While more experienced Triathletes with fairly flexible schedules may not have a problem, those who work long hours or are not very strong may have a tough time following it. Either way, I think this is a good read for any Triathlete, especially if you have read the "other" books and are thinking about doing some longer distance races like ...more
Jon
Apparently I didn't put this on Goodreads the first time around? A solid piece of work with a heavy focus on form/economy and building endurance, as expected for Iron-distance training. I also find some of the strength work more useful that than in Triathlete's Training Bible (the overlap between the two is small). I have incorporated several things into my training: some of the strength exercises, the hip flexibility routine, using run/walk in training, lots of balance/posture work.
David Weir
Aug 16, 2012 David Weir rated it it was amazing
Very good book for training for Triathlons and an Ironman. It gives great insight on what it takes to get there, what you need to do, what to eat, how to train, etc. It's a very easy read and very easy to pick up and learn new things each time.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're actually training for something, otherwise it'd be a little ridiculous.
Rick
Aug 04, 2011 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, triathlon
If you are going to do a half-ironman distance or longer race, you have to read this book and stick with the guidance therein. I attribute the nutrition tips in the book with assisting me in finishing my Ironman. It's quite dull in many parts, but it has everything you need opther than a bike, wetsuit, and sneakers.
Greg Linster
I used Gordo Byrn as a coach through his online-coaching platform called Endurance Corner. He is an excellent coach and his system is based on the principles of this book. This is a great book for anyone who is serious about performance in long-course triathlon. My triathlon days, however, are long over.
Folkert Wierda
Jun 21, 2016 Folkert Wierda rated it it was amazing
Reread this very complete guide for training for multi-sport. It has obviously a lot of overlap with Friel's Triathlon Training Bible, but adds a lot, with a specific focus on what it takes to finish or race a full IM distance. Must read for all aspiring Ironmen and Iron Ladies!
Jeremy Jaramillo
Sep 21, 2009 Jeremy Jaramillo rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
I use this as a great reference book and view it as one of the gold standards for Triathlon training. I knocked off a star because I didn't read it like a normal book, but jumped around a lot to the sections I was working on or referencing at the time.
Kevin Coady
Feb 16, 2013 Kevin Coady rated it it was amazing
Excellent book re: training for the IM distance. If you're training for your first Ironman and don't have a power meter, the chapter describing how to race an Ironman is a must read.
Nov 17, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Another great book to read while needing to concentrat on my triathlon training. I love reading about what I'm doing so I can keep it in the frot of my mind all the time.
Heidi
Sep 19, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
good training book I have a long way to go and it's good to be able to read about some of the other training programs, injuries people sustain, and other ways to go
Dec 02, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is my main training and advice book! Some bits too technical for me, but I keep finding more to learn each time I pick it up.
Scott Morrison
Dec 02, 2013 Scott Morrison rated it really liked it
Joel and Gordie get it right and my coach knows them and confirmed. They all got me across the Ironman finish line strong!
Peter Meyers
Apr 01, 2011 Peter Meyers rated it liked it
Great introduction book to Ironman training.
B. Thomas
May 31, 2011 B. Thomas rated it it was amazing
The best resource for Ironman.
Martin
Apr 29, 2012 Martin rated it liked it
Very common sense approach to training
Anna
Sep 13, 2009 Anna is currently reading it
Excellent resource for understanding what is involved in the longer distance triathlons. I am not racing these distances yet but am counselling athletes who are, and this will help a great deal to grasp the complexities and details of these race lengths.
Greg
Mar 25, 2009 Greg rated it it was amazing
mandatory Ironman training book
Bret Jardine
Bret Jardine rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Shreyamsh Kamate
Shreyamsh Kamate marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Prashant Bambal
Prashant Bambal marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Existanza
Existanza marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Bachorb
Bachorb rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Atul
Atul marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Richard Jr.
Richard Jr. rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Kiley M
Kiley M marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Vladimir Lacas
Vladimir Lacas marked it as to-read
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Summer
Summer rated it it was amazing
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Training and Racing with a Power Meter
  • Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run
  • I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance
  • Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon
  • Lore of Running
  • Total Immersion: Revolutionary Way to Swim Better and Faster
  • You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Tr iathlon
  • The Athlete's Guide to Yoga: An Integrated Approach to Strength, Flexibility, & Focus
  • Be Iron Fit, 2nd: Time-Efficient Training Secrets for Ultimate Fitness