Start by marking “The Secret Lives of Dogs” as Want to Read:
The Secret Lives of Dogs

The Secret Lives of Dogs

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  14 reviews
If you've ever wished you could demystify the strange behaviors displayed by your curious canine, you should get your paws on The Secret Lives of Dogs—the book that explains the seemingly silly things dogs do that don't make much sense (to humans). Packed with practical information on canine care, it reveals the real reasons behind fifty-two actions exhibited by man's best ...more
Published December 15th 2008 by MJF Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Lives of Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Lives of Dogs

Emily Ann Meyer
Quick, fun read with a lot of fun photographs. Didn't really expand my knowledge significantly, but reinforced it. I'd recommend to dog owners who ask "good gawd, why'd s/he roll in that dead animal?" And are more inclined to laugh about it than scold.
Andrew
This book definitely accomplishes what it sets out to do. By the last page you'll be 52 canine behaviors more informed about why your dog (or other dogs) do the things they do.

Each behavior is broken into an introduction, some further descriptions if applicable and then a section called, "Now that you know" which offers some suggestions on how to curtail the behavior if it's problematic. I stopped reading the introductions about 3/4 through. I just wanted to read the title of the section and get
Eva Leger
May 15, 2009 Eva Leger rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to really decipher their dogs behaviors
Recommended to Eva by: saw it on Jeannie's page
I read the first half of this completely through and then skimmed the second half. This wasn't because the last half wasn't interesting- it just either had less to do with my dogs or I already knew it.
That being said, this is a nifty book. I can't say that it dropped any knowledge bombs- most of what's inside can be thought up on your own. The thing is, most people, myself included, don't stop to do just that.
I never stopped to think about why my neighbors dog always puts his front paws on my
Ariannah
Really helpful and insightful for those of us who have never had a dog but would some day like to!
Jenn Hailley
I had higher hopes for this book than perhaps I should have...it doesn't help that my dog is weird and doesn't even do most of the things in this book. But I did find little snippets of interesting or helpful information. For instance why dogs rub themselves on the carpet after a bath, or why they eat ANYTHING, lol. Could have gone farther though I think, and a couple of the chapters were a little repetitive. Worth a quick read.
Lauren
This book is very engaging and fun, but double-check the tips carefully. At one point it recommends baking soda to keep dogs from eating the trash, but I found online resources suggesting it's poisonous for dogs. It does have some good advice, but just double-check its ideas quickly before implementing.
Beth
Why do they chew on sticks, eat dung, roll in disgusting smelling things, and hate bathes? This book answers those questions, has engaging illustrations, and an informative though occasionally cute) text. The authors also offer practical suggestions for stopping some of the more unlovely behaviors.
Allie Dorman
Very interesting!! I read it to help understand my puppy more so I skipped some things we didn't have a problem with or that she doesn't do. But this definitely will also come in handy when I get another one!
Abby
Very elementary information about dogs, with only a few "secrets" revealed. My full review here: http://thedoggerel.wordpress.com/2011...
Jayme(the ghost reader)
I liked this book. I had five dogs and recognized many of the doggie behaviors. I learned a few new tricks myself. I recommend this book to all dog lovers.
Aug 22, 2011 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who want to understand why dogs do what they do.
Recommended to Jennifer by: the colorful book jacket & reader-friendly index
quick, logical explanations of why dogs behave specific ways with tips on what humans can do when their dog exhibits those behaviors. References cited.
Jamie
Recommended to anyone who has a dog and wonders why they do what they do. 52 short chapters make this a fast read.
Jannise
Hilarious "woofery" explained!
Jonathan
Why canines do what they do.
Dora Fairburn
Dora Fairburn marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Danielle
Danielle is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2015
Kris Kramer
Kris Kramer marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Jackie
Jackie is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Stephanie Lynn
Stephanie Lynn is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2015
Cindy
Cindy is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2015
Yorkl
Yorkl marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This book was not written in 1957 2 19 Dec 10, 2014 05:43PM
The Secret Lives of Toddlers: A Parent's Guide to the Wonderful, Terrible, Fascinating Behavior of Children Ag The Secret Lives of Toddlers The Good Life for Less: Giving Your Family Great Meals, Good Times, and a Happy Home on a Budget The Lost Pet Chronicles: Adventures of A K-9 Cop Turned Pet Detective