Start by marking “A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters” as Want to Read:
A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters

A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters (Anna Strong Chronicles #5.5)

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  223 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Brilliant, original sci-fi and fantasy stories featuring brave and bold heroines

Thirteen urban and paranormal tales of strong women, armed with weapons they are not afraid to use, as well as fists and feet of fury, who face monsters and bad guys-and are not above rescuing men in the process.
Published February 2nd 2010 by DAW (first published December 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters

Joshua Palmatier
Oct 23, 2011 Joshua Palmatier rated it liked it
A Girl’s Guide to Guns and Monsters

The main idea behind this anthology is strong women with the ability to find the weapon most necessary at the time and the courage to use it. Not all of the stories have guns—in fact, most don’t—and the monsters come from a wide field, although at first there seemed to be a dominance of vampires. Overall, each story was good, although a few had endings I felt uncomfortable with for one reason or another. My favorites were Jim C. Hines’ and Kristine Kathryn Rusc
Mrs Giggles
Dec 22, 2013 Mrs Giggles rated it it was ok
A Girl's Guide To Guns And Monsters is not just about girl power. Co-editor Kerrie Hughes reveals in the introductory that, as a survivor of rape and abuse, she wants to create an anthology that would assure readers - presumably female readers - that they too can rise about the atrocities and injustices. Okay, there is a bit of a disconnect here in that she never actually stated how this anthology could help, other than provide a vicarious passport for some emotional catharsis, and even then, I' ...more
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Mar 15, 2012 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology
I'm going with a 3.5.

The Drifter by Jane Lindskold: set in 1800s American West with werewolves, skinwalkers, and family ties. Really liked it. Near the top of my list for this antho.

Our Lady of the Vampires: it's the Depression and something strange is happening in a home for girls. It was all right. I did enjoy the end.

Best Friends by lilith Saintcrow: a standalone, not part of any other series that I know of; young love, protecting those you love, and making the most of what you have. Note: I'
Rusty
Dec 28, 2012 Rusty rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-ya
I like anthologies for three reasons. First, you can finish a story in a short time. Second, you discover new authors. Third, you find short stories by some favorite authors. One of my favorite authors is Jane Lindskold who wrote "The Drifter" with Prudence Bledsloe, her brother, Jake, and an old west theme. This interesting tale has a unique ending. "Broch de Shlang" by Mickey Zucker Reichert features a couple who has a strange child and a snake. The plot is unusual. "Elizabeth and Anna's Big A ...more
Kathryn
Mar 16, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
I picked this book up for two reasons: as a fluff anthology, and because an author I especially like has a story in it.

I was expecting some middling-quality stories, but I was pleasantly surprised over the first one, by Jane Linskold; not all of the stories afterward held up to my raised expectations. I was also surprised (though I probably shouldn't have been) that each story has a fantasy-genre monster in it (lots of vampires); I thought maybe there'd be more action/sci-fi stories of women wi
Melissa
Jul 08, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
I think there are a few good stories in here. Unfortunately, the abelist one really squicked me out. It drags down this work a lot!

The Drifter: Was great. Good story and I got engaged in the characters.

Our Lady of the Vampires: Not as much of a fan too much crying.

Best Friends: I can work with this story. Has some interesting imagery. Solid addition.

Elizabeth and Anna’s Big Adventure: I found this one very sweet. Worth a read.

Lupercalia: Didn't like. Bad ending. Bad message.

Murder, She Worksho
ingenue
Sep 15, 2014 ingenue rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy facepalming
Shelves: sff
Most of the stories in this collection are forgettably meh, with a couple of memorably offensive exceptions (SPOILER ALERT):

"Jiang Shi" by Elizabeth A. Vaughan: I'm about 42% sure this is more tired orientalist dreck a la "hey random non-Asian ignorant American, you've been chosen by the Chinese Gods for a Grande Destined Destiny because REASONS!" But I was so bored by the initial exposition-infodumps that I couldn't finish reading. If I've maligned the story as orientalist, let me know. It's st
Lucy
Nov 30, 2014 Lucy rated it really liked it
13 stories of women and girls who take on monsters and win, mostly. Several vampires, a werewolf, a family curse and even a spaceage alien as well as other beings. Some interesting characters and ideas. Worth reading.
Stories are: The drifter, by Jane Lindskold -- Our lady of the vampires, by Nancy Holder -- Best friends, by Lilith Saintcrow -- Elizabeth & Anna's big adventure, by Jeanne Stein -- Lupercalia / Anton Strout -- Murder she workshopped, by Kristine Kathryn Rusch -- Heart of ash by
Stasha
May 24, 2010 Stasha rated it really liked it
Couldn't help feeling that a lot of these stories were previews of series to come. I did get the lead on The Becoming from this book and we'll see where that series takes me. Tanya Huff's story was well worth reading, I may go digging to see where her new stuff is at now.
Rachel
Feb 27, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Great, Strong Female Characters of all ages. I actually found several of these stories to be quite inspirational.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Sci-Fi and Fantasy stories revolving around strong females.
Aloysiusweasley
May 22, 2010 Aloysiusweasley rated it really liked it
A good collection of stories by a variety of authors (my favorite among them being Lilith Saintcrow). Not highbrow by any means, but a fine book to occupy an afternoon.
Ron
Mar 26, 2010 Ron rated it liked it
A decent collection of short stories featuring girls/women with guns and monsters. As with any collection, your mileage will vary.
Coyora Dokusho
Sep 01, 2013 Coyora Dokusho rated it it was amazing
8/30/2013 2:20 am

Read "Best Friends" by Lilith Saintcrow, five stars, really, really cool!!!

"Elizabeth and Anna's Big Adventure" bye Jeanne Stein, meh 3 stars.

"Jian Shi" by Elizabeth Vaughan.... FIVE STARS ROCKSTAR... sooooo funny, soooo good must read more books!!! (went to find more books XD) The Elizabeth Vaughan linked to this book should be this one: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/... not the one currently linked... I dunno how to fix this though... anyway!!! yay more books but now it
Susan
Lupercalia • shortstory by Anton Strout
Murder, She Workshopped • shortstory by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Heart of Ash • shortstory by Jim C. Hines
Jiang Shi • shortstory by Elizabeth Vaughan [as by Elizabeth A. Vaughan ]
No Matter Where You Go • [Victory Nelson, Investigator] • shortstory by Tanya Huff
S
Lauren
Jan 10, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
This is a fun, well written collection. There are some great authors here, some of whom I know well and some I am completely unfamiliar with. Thanks to this anthology I have a few new authors I will look into, now that we are introduced. No stories were "skip-worthy". They are all also satisfyingly weird.
Ryan
Nov 25, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
A collection of short stories involving Girls, Guns and Monsters - I read it because Tanya Huff is included, though her story was not one of my favorites. I enjoyed The Drifter (great immigration/migration/western with werewolves sort of thing), Elizabeth and Anna's Big Adventure (young girl participates in beating the bad guys), Signed in Blood (not even sure how to describe this one...but I liked it), and The Wooly Mountains (Vermont's alternative-ness is more alternative than we knew). The ot ...more
Cstillsquare
A surprisingly good and cohesive anthology, with only one or two misses. More like 3.5 stars.
Bonnie
May 08, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was ok
Slightly disappointed. I like short stories, I like stories about girl power, I like fantasy/sci-fi premises. But the quality of this collection is sub-par for the most part. Quite a few of the stories seem truncated; a part of larger worlds that I am not familiar with. As such, I felt a little lost at times. Perhaps if I were more familiar with some of these authors and their previous works, I would have enjoyed this more. Then again, part of successful short story writing (in my opinion) is th ...more
D.J.
Dec 15, 2015 D.J. rated it it was ok
Would have been three or four stars, were it not for one story in particular that I had significant problems with.
Matt
Oct 14, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it
Overall this was a very well put together anthology about strong female characters and in each tale they come face to face with a monster. Interestingly the tales are put together chronemically with the first tale taking place in the old west, and the final tale ending in a future setting. All in all as with any anthology I have ever read there were some truly stand out pieces, some average pieces, and a few throw away pieces.

If you are a fan of short stories, especially those with a strong fem
Anne
May 07, 2012 Anne rated it liked it
This anthology was not bad....some of the stories were really good, some I didn't finish as they didn't interest me. I really thought having 3 stories featuring lesbians was a pretty high percentage. Does that mean only lesbians can be girls with guns who fight monsters? I read lesbian fiction, but I was expecting so many in this book. A little warning on the cover would have been nice.
Tim Hicks
Jan 06, 2014 Tim Hicks rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Read the review by Mrs Giggles - it says everything I thought.

I suspect this whole genre is getting a bit mined out. And I'm not sure the authors were aware of Hughes' intro.

Alison Petrisek
Jul 14, 2011 Alison Petrisek rated it it was ok
I picked this up last year at GenCon and had high hopes for it. I love the concept and love Nina Kiriki Hoffman. Well, it didn't suck, and was even mildly entertaining in spots but none of the stories were particularly memorable and I found many of the heroines cliched. This is definitely going into the "donate" pile rather than going back on the bookshelf.
Jenne
Jul 26, 2010 Jenne rated it really liked it
I usually love to read short stories - I find some great new authors that way - and this book was no exception. Set out in "chronological order" this was a wonderful book of vamps, weres and monsters and the the gals feisty enough to deal with them.

I'll be looking up several of the authors to find other books by them!
Shanshad Whelan
Some good stories, but nothing that really took my breath away a lot of the stuff takes series characters and does little stories with them. This isn't bad perse, but it loses some of the spice of short stories that are completely self-contained and new.

Anyway, not bad but nothing to purchase.
Sandy
Apr 18, 2012 Sandy rated it liked it
Was hoping for a bit more from this collection. I wanted a book of kick-ass, strong female leads, and the stories in here alternated between strong bitchy leads, weak, clueless leads, and then your strong female lead thrown in every once in awhile. There was much less butt-kicking than I wanted.
Darcy
Apr 07, 2011 Darcy rated it it was ok
This was a fun book about just what the title says. Sometimes the girls are the monsters who kick butt, sometimes they kick the monsters butt. Some of them are in the world of the series the authors write, while others are separate. But all are fun to read!
Ahrcadia the Duck Tamer
The only three stories that stood out were Best Friends by Lilith Saintcrow, No Matter Where You Go by Tanya Huff, and The Drifter by Jane Lindskold. The rest were mediocre at best.

Maybe check it out at the library, but don't waste the $7.99.
Kate
Sep 06, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok
I checked this out because it has short stories by Nina Kiriki Hoffman and Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and I've enjoyed both authors. However, I realized that I'd read the stories before. It is a decent anthology, but wasn't really worth re-reading.
Daffodil
I enjoyed Tanya Huff's Victoria Nelson story. Jane Lindskold's story, though not connected to her series, reminded me why I like her writing and should read some more of her Firekeeper Saga. Most of the other stories were enjoyable.
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural
  • The Morgue the Merrier
  • Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side
  • Broken Heart Tails (Broken Heart, #8.5)
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • February Thaw & Other Stories of Contemporary Fantasy
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2: Love Bites
  • Throne of Oak (Maggie's Grove, #2)
  • The Real Werewives of Vampire County (Guardians of Eternity, #8.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Wolf Mates
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • My Vampire Idol (Shifting Reality, #3)
  • The Many Faces of Van Helsing
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...

Anna Strong Chronicles (9 books)
  • The Becoming (Anna Strong Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Drive (Anna Strong Chronicles, #2)
  • The Watcher  (Anna Strong Chronicles, #3)
  • Legacy (Anna Strong Chronicles, #4)
  • Retribution (Anna Strong Chronicles, #5)
  • Chosen (Anna Strong Chronicles, #6)
  • Crossroads (Anna Strong Chronicles, #7)
  • Haunted (Anna Strong Chronicles, #8)
  • Blood Bond (Anna Strong Chronicles, #9)